Evil Dead Burn | Official Thread

After my Watching Evil Dead Burn for a Second time now, I Feel this Massive Uncertainty for the franchise as a whole. I have a suspicion that Rise, Burn & Wrath will be a linked Trilogy of Films. I'm not sure why Sam would think of moving in this direction but I can only guess that there is a need to move away from Ash Williams and The Cabin. I can't help but get a sense of loss.
I rewatched Evil Dead II before Watching Burn again. Seeing Ash's Realisation that he is The Chosen One written about in the pages shows How well this film is able to keep moving on the next sequel Army Of Darkness.
Rise and Burn are undeniably cut from the same cloth. So many "tropes" used and scenarios reworked but they both lack that feeling of Watching an Evil Dead movie.
Having the same lack of desire to revist the last 2 evil dead films leaves my expectations for Wrath extremely low. I almost don't want to think about some of the scenes such as the Opening Boat sequence transitioning to a Nightclub with twerking ass's in my face to cheap sounding hiphop music. Even more confused by the reveal of the Dagger and its Design. I almost want to Forget it all which is an odd feeling as il never forget Sneaking down the stairs aged 5 in the dark Just to see what the grown ups watch when im asleep. Seeing a Man Taking rounds of his shotgun at a severed Hand stuck in my memories Forever.

I dont want to spoil any details about the plot But I was a bit angry n annoyed when I first saw this and alot of my frustrations came out in posts but in all honesty, this may of been a good horror movie if Evil Dead wasnt the name of film. Evil Dead films have alot to live up to this is true, but after 45 years , I would think that they would be able to accept that If Its Not Broke, Then Don't Fix It.

I give Burn 4.5/10
Terrible opening and Even Worse Ending but some very gory and effective imagery but adding to lore was not necessarily needed or done properly.

I Gave Rise 2/10
choppy acting and unlikeable Characters, plus the reveal of multiple Books is just way too convenient for the plot. Always felt like it was trying too hard to shock the audience without any pay off.
 
After my Watching Evil Dead Burn for a Second time now, I Feel this Massive Uncertainty for the franchise as a whole. I have a suspicion that Rise, Burn & Wrath will be a linked Trilogy of Films. I'm not sure why Sam would think of moving in this direction but I can only guess that there is a need to move away from Ash Williams and The Cabin. I can't help but get a sense of loss.
I rewatched Evil Dead II before Watching Burn again. Seeing Ash's Realisation that he is The Chosen One written about in the pages shows How well this film is able to keep moving on the next sequel Army Of Darkness.
Rise and Burn are undeniably cut from the same cloth. So many "tropes" used and scenarios reworked but they both lack that feeling of Watching an Evil Dead movie.
Having the same lack of desire to revist the last 2 evil dead films leaves my expectations for Wrath extremely low. I almost don't want to think about some of the scenes such as the Opening Boat sequence transitioning to a Nightclub with twerking ass's in my face to cheap sounding hiphop music. Even more confused by the reveal of the Dagger and its Design. I almost want to Forget it all which is an odd feeling as il never forget Sneaking down the stairs aged 5 in the dark Just to see what the grown ups watch when im asleep. Seeing a Man Taking rounds of his shotgun at a severed Hand stuck in my memories Forever.

I dont want to spoil any details about the plot But I was a bit angry n annoyed when I first saw this and alot of my frustrations came out in posts but in all honesty, this may of been a good horror movie if Evil Dead wasnt the name of film. Evil Dead films have alot to live up to this is true, but after 45 years , I would think that they would be able to accept that If Its Not Broke, Then Don't Fix It.

I give Burn 4.5/10
Terrible opening and Even Worse Ending but some very gory and effective imagery but adding to lore was not necessarily needed or done properly.

I Gave Rise 2/10
choppy acting and unlikeable Characters, plus the reveal of multiple Books is just way too convenient for the plot. Always felt like it was trying too hard to shock the audience without any pay off.
I agree with a lot of this, though I gave Burn a lower score and Rise a higher one.

I get that Ash is never happening in another Evil Dead movie but I think it is pretty indisputable that his character and charisma are a large part of the original film's enduring popularity so I don't think it is too much to ask that we at least get charismatic protagonists that are cut from the same cloth as Ash. I don't mind that we are getting final girls now as I love that trope, but instead of having emotionally damaged female leads who are perpetually depressed, why can't we have a sassy one with confidence and attitude who makes jokes at the worst possible time and isn't wallowing in misery for 90 minutes?
 
Apparently this one's worldwide gross now stands at $51.4 million. Expected to finish with at least $70 to $75 million by the end of its run. Not as much as Rise but definitely profitable, considering that Warner was looking for about $50 million anyway.
 
Apparently this one's worldwide gross now stands at $51.4 million. Expected to finish with at least $70 to $75 million by the end of its run. Not as much as Rise but definitely profitable, considering that Warner was looking for about $50 million anyway.
Yep, I think the term they were bandying around was "marginally profitable." Weren't they looking for it to be on par/as profitable as "Rise"? I can't remember if they upped or lowered their estimates.
 
After my Watching Evil Dead Burn for a Second time now, I Feel this Massive Uncertainty for the franchise as a whole. I have a suspicion that Rise, Burn & Wrath will be a linked Trilogy of Films. I'm not sure why Sam would think of moving in this direction but I can only guess that there is a need to move away from Ash Williams and The Cabin. I can't help but get a sense of loss.
I rewatched Evil Dead II before Watching Burn again. Seeing Ash's Realisation that he is The Chosen One written about in the pages shows How well this film is able to keep moving on the next sequel Army Of Darkness.
Rise and Burn are undeniably cut from the same cloth. So many "tropes" used and scenarios reworked but they both lack that feeling of Watching an Evil Dead movie.
Having the same lack of desire to revist the last 2 evil dead films leaves my expectations for Wrath extremely low. I almost don't want to think about some of the scenes such as the Opening Boat sequence transitioning to a Nightclub with twerking ass's in my face to cheap sounding hiphop music. Even more confused by the reveal of the Dagger and its Design. I almost want to Forget it all which is an odd feeling as il never forget Sneaking down the stairs aged 5 in the dark Just to see what the grown ups watch when im asleep. Seeing a Man Taking rounds of his shotgun at a severed Hand stuck in my memories Forever.

I dont want to spoil any details about the plot But I was a bit angry n annoyed when I first saw this and alot of my frustrations came out in posts but in all honesty, this may of been a good horror movie if Evil Dead wasnt the name of film. Evil Dead films have alot to live up to this is true, but after 45 years , I would think that they would be able to accept that If Its Not Broke, Then Don't Fix It.

I give Burn 4.5/10
Terrible opening and Even Worse Ending but some very gory and effective imagery but adding to lore was not necessarily needed or done properly.

I Gave Rise 2/10
choppy acting and unlikeable Characters, plus the reveal of multiple Books is just way too convenient for the plot. Always felt like it was trying too hard to shock the audience without any pay off.

I think therein lies the inherent problem with these new movies for anyone who grew up watching Ash: nothing could ever compare because they caught lightning in a bottle three times. The studios (and apparently Bruce, Tapert, and Raimi) want to move on and make movies for modern audiences, and it will just never work for a lot of us because it's such a far departure from Ash and Raimi magic. And this seems to be a broader problem across horror, where the studios always want MORE MORE MORE of everything instead of making great films. More gore, more violence, etc, and the genre-wide trend of multiverses and making everything fit together in a franchise.

All of this has created a divide in the Evil Dead fandom, where a lot of us still remember and worship the Ash movies, but there's also a growing faction of the younger generation who grew up with ED2013. Most people online definitely fall into one camp or the other, and I think that speaks to just how different the two eras are.
 
I think therein lies the inherent problem with these new movies for anyone who grew up watching Ash: nothing could ever compare because they caught lightning in a bottle three times. The studios (and apparently Bruce, Tapert, and Raimi) want to move on and make movies for modern audiences, and it will just never work for a lot of us because it's such a far departure from Ash and Raimi magic. And this seems to be a broader problem across horror, where the studios always want MORE MORE MORE of everything instead of making great films. More gore, more violence, etc, and the genre-wide trend of multiverses and making everything fit together in a franchise.

All of this has created a divide in the Evil Dead fandom, where a lot of us still remember and worship the Ash movies, but there's also a growing faction of the younger generation who grew up with ED2013. Most people online definitely fall into one camp or the other, and I think that speaks to just how different the two eras are.
You can definitely do a good Evil Dead movie if you embrance the creative options that this whole franchise presents. I dodn't like ED 2013 but I love Mia as the protagonist, even though (or because) she is so different from Ash. It was a completely different take that work. But we just got bogged down in the torture-gore formula with little to no innovation or actually testing the limits of what you can do in these films.

Ash is great and Bruce Campbell will always be the face of this franchise, but lets not forget that after the original trilogy, he was also in three seasons of AvED and for some of us, even he couldn't save that show from being a frustrating mess.
 
I think therein lies the inherent problem with these new movies for anyone who grew up watching Ash: nothing could ever compare because they caught lightning in a bottle three times. The studios (and apparently Bruce, Tapert, and Raimi) want to move on and make movies for modern audiences, and it will just never work for a lot of us because it's such a far departure from Ash and Raimi magic. And this seems to be a broader problem across horror, where the studios always want MORE MORE MORE of everything instead of making great films. More gore, more violence, etc, and the genre-wide trend of multiverses and making everything fit together in a franchise.

All of this has created a divide in the Evil Dead fandom, where a lot of us still remember and worship the Ash movies, but there's also a growing faction of the younger generation who grew up with ED2013. Most people online definitely fall into one camp or the other, and I think that speaks to just how different the two eras are.
I can half agree as my ranting may of come off very Pro-Ash but in all honestly, the reason why I feel as though Rise and Burn Fall below the Evil Dead standard line is because E.D2013 worked so well and did an amazing Job even without Ash involved. I watched that twice on release and thought it was genuinely scary and unsettling . I love 2013 to this day so the final-Girl trope is not the issue or a real problem . In the 2013 movie we are lead to believe that David will be the new Ash and they did amazing at changing the lanes and shifting it back to Mia. Also , David actually did what Ash never could and that is Help His Sister.

Evil Dead is already Rich in ideas and lore/mythology so how can they keep reusing the same old ideas over and over again. At least the TV show tried something new.
The last 2 evil dead movies are a product of there time. Much like a McDonald's , it feels cheap and lazy but also , not good for consumption.
I think Wrath will be the Final Nail in the Coffin but hopefully they can take a long hard think about the next movie going forward.
 
You can definitely do a good Evil Dead movie if you embrance the creative options that this whole franchise presents. I dodn't like ED 2013 but I love Mia as the protagonist, even though (or because) she is so different from Ash. It was a completely different take that work. But we just got bogged down in the torture-gore formula with little to no innovation or actually testing the limits of what you can do in these films.

Ash is great and Bruce Campbell will always be the face of this franchise, but lets not forget that after the original trilogy, he was also in three seasons of AvED and for some of us, even he couldn't save that show from being a frustrating mess.
You don't like Evil Dead 2013? Would like to know why or what you disliked about it . I love it but I do have my little annoyances such as David's acting but in all honesty, I thought it was the best horror of the 2010's.
Watch the Extended version it adds alot of context to what ia actually happening.
But I do agree , we have 3 classics and a brilliant reimagening plus a groovy TV show. So even if the new movies are a let down , at least we are not short of content.
 
You don't like Evil Dead 2013? Would like to know why or what you disliked about it . I love it but I do have my little annoyances such as David's acting but in all honesty, I thought it was the best horror of the 2010's.
Watch the Extended version it adds alot of context to what ia actually happening.
But I do agree , we have 3 classics and a brilliant reimagening plus a groovy TV show. So even if the new movies are a let down , at least we are not short of content.
As I mentioned on this forum a couple of times before, I just felt like they made it as an Evil Dead movie for the Saw generation 10 years after Saw was relevant. I also didn't like how Mia was the only Deadite with a personality while the rest were more or less just standard zombies. I also didn't much care for the "gamification" of the lore with the rules that need to be followed so that the bad guy would show up at the end (which, funnily enough, they also did in the Hellraiser reboot). I understand that rules in horror movies are important so that you know what to be scared of, but to me Evil Dead works better with the ambiguity that anything can happen at any point.

On the other hand, even though I don't really like the movie all that much, I still watch it every couple of years, mostly because I WANT to like it (similarly to the Event Horizon) and there are aspects to it that I do like. I love Jane Levy as Mia and I absolutely adore the Roque Baños score. It may be my favorite Evil Dead soundtrack right after LoDuca's Evil Dead II. Over all I consistently rate the movie to 6/10. Every time I watch it again I hope I can crank it up to 7, but it never feels right.
 
Watch the Extended version it adds alot of context to what ia actually happening.
I watched the Extended version on my latest rewatch last year and actually think it's worse than the theatrical cut. It adds useless stuff that don't really add anything at best and actually mess up the tension buildup at worst (specifically in the first act of the film).
 
My issue with the new three is that at some point "mean and cruel" became the goal. OG Evil Dead was fairly brutal but almost by accident. It never feels outright "mean."

And I don't want mean. At least not from these. I mean, I'd rank original TCM up very highly on my personal favorites list and that is a mean-ass movie. But I go in to Evil Dead not looking for that, but it seems to be all they want to show me now.

Or at least that's all the fans seem to want. I'm old, I guess!
 
Just to huff my own farts, in writing the Evil Dead 2 book (it's coming, I swear), I did go back and forth a lot on tying to make it more gory and visceral, to grasp some of that "horror," but it's not easy to work that into the type of book it is. I'm worried these new kids are gonna think the book's too damn soft! Aw well.
 
My issue with the new three is that at some point "mean and cruel" became the goal. OG Evil Dead was fairly brutal but almost by accident. It never feels outright "mean."

And I don't want mean. At least not from these. I mean, I'd rank original TCM up very highly on my personal favorites list and that is a mean-ass movie. But I go in to Evil Dead not looking for that, but it seems to be all they want to show me now.
I think there's a "we gotta out-do what came before" mentality... not in a mean way or an "I can do better than that" way, it's more like they want to have their own "pencil to the ankle" moments. Pencil to the ankle is easily the moment in ED1 that gets the biggest reaction (as I saw for myself last year at the Evil Dead In Concert show), so everybody wants something like that in their movies. I think 2013 was pushing it and Burn went a little overboard, but Rise seemed to find (IMO) the perfect single moment with the cheese grater.
 
It seems to be the right moment for me to make my seasonal restatement that I dislike the 2013 movie very much both as an Evil Dead remake and as a horror movie, that I watched it once in theaters upon release and then only once more in the extended cut and disliked it even more. I sympathize with what Hurley said about wanting to like it, but I just don't and I think it'll be a long while before I can muster the energy to revisit that film again, if I ever do it. While we're at it, I wanna add that in my opinion, Fede Alvarez is an ass and a hack behind the camera, who's yet to make a real good film and in fact seems to be getting progressively worse as a filmmaker – so I also don't wanna see him anywhere near any more films that I might care about.

It's also really weird to me to see people praising ED 2013 while hating on these new movies, cause most of the things in the new ones they seem to be complaining about were very much already present in ED 2013. To me, both Rise and Burn seem to be cut from the same cloth as 2013 (which was very much a product of its time as well as far as horror movies/remakes from that period go, I might add).

I think there's a "we gotta out-do what came before" mentality... not in a mean way or an "I can do better than that" way, it's more like they want to have their own "pencil to the ankle" moments. Pencil to the ankle is easily the moment in ED1 that gets the biggest reaction (as I saw for myself last year at the Evil Dead In Concert show), so everybody wants something like that in their movies. I think 2013 was pushing it and Burn went a little overboard, but Rise seemed to find (IMO) the perfect single moment with the cheese grater.

You know what makes the pencil to the ankle moment special and actually memorable? It's not just the stabbing, but what they do with it after the stabbing... The long suffering from it that leads to that terrific black webbing stop-motion effect spreading from the wound right before Linda goes full deadite. It seems that yes, everyone wants a moment like that in their movie, but the new ones don't lead to anything cool, so they're rendered almost immediately forgetable. They're just throwaway acts of brutal violence/self-harm. The stabbing should be just the set-up, you need the follow-up. And my god, I'll never understand all the noise around that damn cheese grater scene. With all the fabricated hype around it before and after release, when I finally watched the movie the only reaction it could get from me was "wait... that's it?".
 
Last edited:
My issue with the new three is that at some point "mean and cruel" became the goal. OG Evil Dead was fairly brutal but almost by accident. It never feels outright "mean."

And I don't want mean. At least not from these. I mean, I'd rank original TCM up very highly on my personal favorites list and that is a mean-ass movie. But I go in to Evil Dead not looking for that, but it seems to be all they want to show me now.

Or at least that's all the fans seem to want. I'm old, I guess!
And if you tell defenders of the new movies this, you are invariably met with: "The original was also mean and brutal and was only accidentally funny. Evil Dead 2013 is the movie Sam Raimi wanted to make but couldn't..."
 
You can definitely do a good Evil Dead movie if you embrance the creative options that this whole franchise presents. I dodn't like ED 2013 but I love Mia as the protagonist, even though (or because) she is so different from Ash. It was a completely different take that work. But we just got bogged down in the torture-gore formula with little to no innovation or actually testing the limits of what you can do in these films.

Ash is great and Bruce Campbell will always be the face of this franchise, but lets not forget that after the original trilogy, he was also in three seasons of AvED and for some of us, even he couldn't save that show from being a frustrating mess.

I agree about Mia, but I think it was more the Raimi/Ash connection that made the original movies work. The new three all lack either strong characters/story/direction, while the OGs had it all, yet I think there are some things to like about the new movies. And the show also lacked Raimi directing. He may be a producer now, but it's clear that title only goes so far, unless he's giving into studio pressure to make people happy. It's his creative eye that seems to be lacking these days, and I suppose it's dang near impossible for him to give his charm to the new stuff without actually stepping in the director's chair. I find it frustrating that he won't just give us a proper sendoff instead of being involved by proxy. It's not like he's directing a new movie every year.
 
I agree about Mia, but I think it was more the Raimi/Ash connection that made the original movies work. The new three all lack either strong characters/story/direction, while the OGs had it all, yet I think there are some things to like about the new movies. And the show also lacked Raimi directing. He may be a producer now, but it's clear that title only goes so far, unless he's giving into studio pressure to make people happy. It's his creative eye that seems to be lacking these days, and I suppose it's dang near impossible for him to give his charm to the new stuff without actually stepping in the director's chair. I find it frustrating that he won't just give us a proper sendoff instead of being involved by proxy. It's not like he's directing a new movie every year.
I would have loved if Sam directed more episodes of AvED (maybe like every first episode of each season?) but the problam was that he's a notoriously slow director. In Hail to the Chin, Bruce talks about how Sam was directing the pilot so slowly that it ate up some time that belonged to other episodes. Therefore the future directors were forced to cut corners, beacuse Sam already went over time and budget with the pilot.
 
Fangoria Vol 2 #32 is out and Evil Dead Burn has a seven page (well technically six because one page is one image) selection. Here are the highlights:
ROB TAPERT: "This movie holds its own place in the Evil Dead universe," Tapert continues. "It's a very different treatment of the lore. It expands it, and takes it in a slightly new direction. One of the things that Sébastien and Florent have done is fill in a bit of the Book's backstory. It has a touchstone to Evil Dead Rise, but then goes on its own path, and fills in some of the history of the franchise mythology where the Book came from, who was involved in it. I'm hoping that the fans will find that enticing, because it's the beginning of a road that leads... somewhere. I'll say that."
Vaniček reveals that he illustrated the Burn book himself
Fire is part of the movie's metaphorical statement as well. "It's about the fire that burns inside you that can make you move mountains," Vaniček explains, “but can also destroy you when you are deeply in love with someone, whether it's your son, your daughter, your husband, your wife, or just your girlfriend. There's this fire that lives inside you, but at some point, it can also burn you like family can burn you, like marriage can burn you."
Then they start to talk about Evil Dead Wrath:
"We had an opportunity to get a commitment to do two movies in the Evil Dead franchise,” Tapert reveals, "even though we knew that Wrath wouldn't come out for some time, nor should it. There are lessons to be learned from what happened with 28 Years Later: The Bone Temple, that there should be a long enough pause so that the market feels it's fresh again. From just an efficiency point of view, however, and wanting to work with Francis, who was an in-demand director, going sooner rather than later allowed for a lot of synergies and to keep Francis in place and not have him poached by somebody else. "He was 100 percent the right person to tell an incredibly unique story in the Evil Dead universe," Tapert continues. "Wrath is a period piece that takes place in the early '70s, so it predates the original Evil Dead. It will, in its own way, circle back on the franchise. So I thought, 'Well, I'll just do two solid years of work, and then I can coast for a year or two.' After Evil Dead Burn opens, I think things will calm down for a moment." Vaniček says that he had a chance to meet up with Galluppi to discuss their Evil Dead entries - and possible connections between them. “Sam and Rob want this universe to feel real, like it actually exists, so Francis and I had to find some links. Not to just make one a spinoff of the other, but without spoiling anything, you will see some things in my movie that you will understand later."
 
Top Bottom