Evil Dead Burn | Official Thread

So here's an interesting tidbit for you: Burn's post-credit scene was directed by co-writer Florent Bernard because Sébastien was in (prep/grad) school, which is why the first name seen on the urn is an homage to Florent's previous film Nous, les Leroy (Meet The Leroys)
 
I gotta say, I really appreciate the continued level of thoughtful discourse this forum maintains. Y'all really think before you speak, which is so much nicer, even should I disagree, than the hot take doinks on Facebook.
I'm very happy to be a part of this community. Like I said a couple of times before, I don't really like talking about Evil Dead with other people (especially online) because there are some really weird people with really weird takes out there, but I love it here! We can always talk openly about stuff even if we don't agree.
 
You really prefer Burn over the OG movie? I am flabbergasted!

Nah, I changed my mind after milling it over a bit!
 
Nah, I changed my mind after milling it over a bit!
The best I can do so far is, best to worst:

The Evil Dead (perfection)
Evil Dead 2013 (made by someone who agrees with my above choice)
Evil Dead 2 ( I wanted to put it above 2013 but 2013 was closer to the original in cruel intent)

(I'm all about the cabin settings)

Army Of Darkness (it was fun but it was The Muppet Show and the 'pit witch' looked crap)
Evil Dead Rise (Attack The Block clone but Mom was brilliant)
Evil Dead Burn
 
Last edited:
Army Of Darkness (it was fun but it was The Muppet Show and the 'pit witch' looked crap)
I agree that AoD has a bit of Muppets vibe to it. For me I'd say it's a mix between Evil Dead and Crimewave, or their original vision for Crimewave, to be more specific.

But I couldn't disagree more about the Plague Witch. Her scene is probably my favorite in the movie. The fight is the literal embodiment of the term "frantic scene". And the fact that they were able to pull it off last minute in somebody's garage makes it even more mind-blowing.

But since we're doing ratings, I guess here's mine:
1. The Evil Dead
2. Evil Dead II
3. Evil Dead: The Game
4. Evil Dead: The Musical (though I'm yet to see it live!)
5. Army of Darkness / Evil Dead Rise (would have to watch Rise again to make sure)
6. Ash vs Evil Dead
7. Evil Dead (2013)
8. Evil Dead Burn
 
I agree that AoD has a bit of Muppets vibe to it. For me I'd say it's a mix between Evil Dead and Crimewave, or their original vision for Crimewave, to be more specific.

But I couldn't disagree more about the Plague Witch. Her scene is probably my favorite in the movie. The fight is the literal embodiment of the term "frantic scene". And the fact that they were able to pull it off last minute in somebody's garage makes it even more mind-blowing.

But since we're doing ratings, I guess here's mine:
1. The Evil Dead
2. Evil Dead II
3. Evil Dead: The Game
4. Evil Dead: The Musical (though I'm yet to see it live!)
5. Army of Darkness / Evil Dead Rise (would have to watch Rise again to make sure)
6. Ash vs Evil Dead
7. Evil Dead (2013)
8. Evil Dead Burn
I've not her called Plague Witch before (which is better than Pit B*tch) .. the scene itself was exciting, agreed. I just didn't like the make up/suit creation itself and still don't sorry. From memory, I don't think Raimi was too keen either so they hid an actor to leap out at him to sell the idea to him: "It's a heinous horror hag!" said Raimi then gave the design the thumbs up.
 
I've not her called Plague Witch before (which is better than Pit B*tch) .. the scene itself was exciting, agreed. I just didn't like the make up/suit creation itself and still don't sorry. From memory, I don't think Raimi was too keen either so they hid an actor to leap out at him to sell the idea to him: "It's a heinous horror hag!" said Raimi then gave the design the thumbs up.
The Demon class in Evil Dead: The Game is called the Plaguebringer and the boss is called just The Witch, so I think "Plague Witch" is overall the best name to use for the character.
 
I've not her called Plague Witch before (which is better than Pit B*tch) .. the scene itself was exciting, agreed. I just didn't like the make up/suit creation itself and still don't sorry. From memory, I don't think Raimi was too keen either so they hid an actor to leap out at him to sell the idea to him: "It's a heinous horror hag!" said Raimi then gave the design the thumbs up.
Oh wait! We are talking about different things. You are talking about the Pit Demon, while I talk about the Plague Witch. Correct?
 
My rating is based entirely on what I'm mostly likely to want to rewatch at any given moment.

1)/2) Evil Dead 2 / Army of Darkness
Depends very much on my mood and/or if the kids are around.
3) The Evil Dead
4) Evil Dead Rise
5) AvED (I guess? Rewatching this feels unlikely but I'm not opposed.)
6) Evil Dead 2013 (I just can't see myself ever choosing to watch this again)

Unrated) Burn, as I have not seen it.
 
A two-disk 2-Film Collection bundle of Evil Dead Burn and Evil Dead Rise is coming soon-ish(?) as a 4k or DVD release. I don't know what exactly it's going to be, Amazon just has a 4k version, but Walmart has the option for a DVD version, so I don't know what is what with that.
Updated cover for the 2-Film Collection has been released. Some comments I've seen regarding this make the fair argument of "Why would I want this if they're probably going to do a 3-film collection when Wrath comes out?" Others are complaining about the lack of 2013 (which I can see them saving for a bigger collection set like that Region 2 Evil Dead Anthology Collection from all those years ago).
762650633_18034878587746569_2494837762218162662_n.webp757909479_18034878599746569_5232418860068537459_n.webp
 
The way they're trying to sew Burn and Rise together in the public conscious is amazing. Someone in WB REALLY had and has no confidence in Burn.
 
My rating is based entirely on what I'm mostly likely to want to rewatch at any given moment.

1)/2) Evil Dead 2 / Army of Darkness
Depends very much on my mood and/or if the kids are around.
3) The Evil Dead
4) Evil Dead Rise
5) AvED (I guess? Rewatching this feels unlikely but I'm not opposed.)
6) Evil Dead 2013 (I just can't see myself ever choosing to watch this again)

Unrated) Burn, as I have not seen it.
Interesting list. Feel abit bad for Evil Dead 2013 Though.
 
The way they're trying to sew Burn and Rise together in the public conscious is amazing.
Can you really blame them? Rise was a damn unicorn in modern Hollywood:

>Low budget
>Established franchise film
>Critically acclaimed
>Box office success
>Streaming success
>HUGE on social media via memes and discussion

I can't say that I liked the concept and execution of them hitching up to that horse again for Burn (especially when Burn was a completely different beast), but I completely understand the why from a marketing perspective.
 
It's a good Age we live in when we have 6 movies to rank But its unfortunate some of them are seriously off the mark when it comes to How we have grown with Evil Dead over the years.
Some say It's " Expanding The Lore" , but i call it "Convenient Plot liberties".
At least we have a TV show and 4 Video Games (3 of them Story based 1 player) so maybe, we ain't doing too bad.
To Hell with it...

1. Evil Dead 2
2. Evil Dead (2013)
3. The Evil Dead
4. Ash Vs Evil Dead
5. Army Of Darkness
6. Evil Dead Rise
7. Evil Dead Burn
8. * placeholder for Evil Dead Wrath*(maybe)

Plus I think the Video Games are extremely Underrated too.
" A Fist Full Of Boomstick" got me through many of Nights back in the PS2 days. " Evil Dead: Regeneration" is also a fantastic game as far as story goes. Some of this storyline could really be taken Straight from " Ash Vs Evil Dead" , its that good. If anyone still has a copy , I encourage you to dust off that old PlayStation 2 and find a copy if you can.
 
I
Can you really blame them? Rise was a damn unicorn in modern Hollywood:

>Low budget
>Established franchise film
>Critically acclaimed
>Box office success
>Streaming success
>HUGE on social media via memes and discussion

I can't say that I liked the concept and execution of them hitching up to that horse again for Burn (especially when Burn was a completely different beast), but I completely understand the why from a marketing perspective.
In my opinion , Rise only did well due to How well Received Evil dead 2013 did . Alot of non evil dead fans mainly critics wrote it off before its release mainly due to the absence of Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi. Even my own friends who grew up on evil dead said " it wont be as good as the original". But i think it surprised alot of people and caught them off Guard . Becoming more of a Sleeper Hit and Cult Favourite. The Gore and Story was actually Solid. So when Evil Dead Rise Came around , i think alot of people (including myself) thought we was going to be getting another emotional roller-coaster, gut wrenching edition to the legend of the Book. Instead it felt very empty and personally left me feeling like Rise was making light of been a Deadite and not taking its self very seriously.
I think the low numbers of Evil Dead Burn are due to Evil Dead Rise still been fresh in the paying publics memories.
 
Updated cover for the 2-Film Collection has been released. Some comments I've seen regarding this make the fair argument of "Why would I want this if they're probably going to do a 3-film collection when Wrath comes out?" Others are complaining about the lack of 2013 (which I can see them saving for a bigger collection set like that Region 2 Evil Dead Anthology Collection from all those years ago).
View attachment 583View attachment 584
I have a massive feeling that Evil Dead Wrath is going to go straight and Streaming and Home Release. Especially after the turn out of Evil Dead Burn.
 
I think the low numbers of Evil Dead Burn are due to Evil Dead Rise still been fresh in the paying publics memories.
Please elaborate.
I have a massive feeling that Evil Dead Wrath is going to go straight and Streaming and Home Release. Especially after the turn out of Evil Dead Burn.
Doubtful. Even though it's not a major box office hit, it's still made back it's budget (production and marketing) and some change. I think their marketing strategy is going to change, but not the release, especially since Sony co-producing and distributing again.
 
I

In my opinion , Rise only did well due to How well Received Evil dead 2013 did . Alot of non evil dead fans mainly critics wrote it off before its release mainly due to the absence of Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi. Even my own friends who grew up on evil dead said " it wont be as good as the original". But i think it surprised alot of people and caught them off Guard . Becoming more of a Sleeper Hit and Cult Favourite. The Gore and Story was actually Solid. So when Evil Dead Rise Came around , i think alot of people (including myself) thought we was going to be getting another emotional roller-coaster, gut wrenching edition to the legend of the Book. Instead it felt very empty and personally left me feeling like Rise was making light of been a Deadite and not taking its self very seriously.
I think the low numbers of Evil Dead Burn are due to Evil Dead Rise still been fresh in the paying publics memories.

Or it could be that there was a 10-year gap between ED13 and Rise, giving people the ability to miss the franchise. (which I see you referenced at the bottom) Rise also had better advertising and MUCH better word of mouth, especially on social media platforms. I looked through a LOT of tier lists for the franchise after Burn came out (before I saw it, living vicariously until I could get to the theater), and the overwhelming majority of people put Burn in the bottom two. Very few said it was one of their favorites. With the cost of going to a theater anymore, I wouldn't be surprised if the online reception deterred many people from seeing it right away. That being said, I also wouldn't be surprised if streaming and VoD numbers will be good. Evil Dead has always done well in home media.

I have high hopes for Wrath, both with slightly blinded optimism and from what we've heard about it, and especially so if it's the last time we see new Evil Dead for a while. But they need to market this one way better. Maybe Burn being a bit underwhelming financially will be incentive for that to happen.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom