Evil Dead Burn | Official Thread

Something I was randomly thinking about today: Remember how Burn was announced as a "spin-off" Evil Dead film? What exactly makes it a spin-off? Is it because it doesn't have the book, or is this a side story that is not important to whatever grander arc they have planned?
 
Spin-offs sometimes aren't considered canon maybe?
I don't think that's the case. It would be silly to bring aboard Sony and StudioCanal for something they'd consider non-canon... but then again I don't treat any non-Raimi ED film as true canon anyway...
 
I don't think that's the case. It would be silly to bring aboard Sony and StudioCanal for something they'd consider non-canon... but then again I don't treat any non-Raimi ED film as true canon anyway...
They're just using Sony and StudioCanal to keep the franchise going and are willing to play by their rules to do it.
 
The spin-off thing was very weird, almost like the statement was put together by somebody who didn't know what they're talking about. Like it's a spin-off, because it doesn't have Bruce and Sam…? Which would make the previous two also spin-offs…?
 
Aren't all the new films technically spin-offs in one way or another, in addition to being sequels? But Burn is definitely connected to the franchise, or at least
to Rise, given Jessica at the beginning and Ellie at the end, at the minimum.

I also bought a digital copy of Burn and am starting it now. I feel that every Evil Dead installment is worth at least a few watches before I totally know how I feel about it. So far, and I'm very early into it, I'm enjoying it more than the first watch. Maybe part of it is having an overly critical eye in the theater, trying to analyze every scene, borderline worried it would be bad. I also don't care much for the theater-going experience anymore, at least not as much since COVID. But for now, I'm relaxed and enjoying it for what it is.
 
Aren't all the new films technically spin-offs in one way or another, in addition to being sequels? But Burn is definitely connected to the franchise, or at least
to Rise, given Jessica at the beginning and Ellie at the end, at the minimum.

I also bought a digital copy of Burn and am starting it now. I feel that every Evil Dead installment is worth at least a few watches before I totally know how I feel about it. So far, and I'm very early into it, I'm enjoying it more than the first watch. Maybe part of it is having an overly critical eye in the theater, trying to analyze every scene, borderline worried it would be bad. I also don't care much for the theater-going experience anymore, at least not as much since COVID. But for now, I'm relaxed and enjoying it for what it is.
Even though I didn't like Burn, I still want to give it one more chance when it comes to streaming. One thing I didn't mention when I first saw it was that there were a couple of annoying people in my theatre talking throughout the movie, which might have soured my experience at least a little bit.
 
Even though I didn't like Burn, I still want to give it one more chance when it comes to streaming. One thing I didn't mention when I first saw it was that there were a couple of annoying people in my theatre talking throughout the movie, which might have soured my experience at least a little bit.

That can definitely change your experience. I also find myself stressed out by people in theaters whenever I do go. I can say it's a lot more fun the second time, maybe with even lower expectations, but it doesn't hurt to be in a peaceful environment at home.
 
Even though I didn't like Burn, I still want to give it one more chance when it comes to streaming. One thing I didn't mention when I first saw it was that there were a couple of annoying people in my theatre talking throughout the movie, which might have soured my experience at least a little bit.
I hate people who talk during a film in a cinema. I even remember asking an usher to shut up some noisy punks while me and a mate were trying to watch an Evil Dead 1 & 2 showing in Tamworth in about 1990.

I've still got this old photograph from that night. I'm actually in this photo standing beneath the sign but my mate forgot to use the flash function. I was 17 in 1990 and Army Of Darkness hadn't been made yet.

aED!+2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Nice, reminded me of this. :D

Also how the hell do you watch that movie and think it's a love story??
At least Bruce was pretty Understanding even if the initial post seems be talking out there ass. I applaud Mr Campbell for making any sense of that gibberish. But there also seems to be a Tone of Bruce knowing and expecting backlash to Burn, Especially from the fan base.
 
Well, if we're to get technical and accurate about what those terms actually mean (definition has been getting fuzzier the last few years, mostly because studio execs and marketing people seem to wanna use them more like trendy buzzwords than actual defining terms), the original trilogy would be the start and core of the franchise consisting of an original film and two sequels to that film, ED 2013 is a remake of the original film, Rise is a reboot of the franchise and I don't know what the hell Burn is supposed to be, but if we stretch the definition of the term a bit I could maybe see it as a spin-off of Rise only, since it takes place in the same universe and shares a narrative starting point with that film even though it isn't really a direct sequel continuing the story of those characters. So maybe that's what they meant when they called it a spin-off: It's a spin-off of RISE, specifically, not of the original trilogy or ED 2013. I dunno, I'm just thinking aloud here, lol... There's a good chance not even the people responsible for making and releasing the film know for sure what it is supposed to be.
 
Last edited:
2013 wasn't a remake. I mean it was, but it wasn't, like how Force Awakens was really just New Hope again. Doesn't that make it a reboot?

Does a reboot require returning characters?

What does anything even mean!?!?
 
It's his IMDb photo from 2016 (which they used in Send Help)
Sorry to change the flow of this thread for a second, I've only seen Send Help once in the cinema .. am I right in thinking Bruce's image was used as the father of the spoilt yuppie brat who took over his dead father's (Bruce's) business .. I seem to also remember there was an oil painting of Bruce on the office wall?.

That gag also reminds me of the photograph of Sam Raimi on the garage forecourt office wall in an episode of John Carpenter's BODY BAGS. Sam's framed picture also had 'EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH' written on that so obviously these are becoming a running joke.
 
Top Bottom