How did Ash get the Necronomicon back?

Loving all the spec going on here - at this point I just want the hole filled in the plot.

There was some footage shot of Ash flipping through the Nec, which I suppose will come into play very soon.
 
It could be - and yep, I remember that convo. The blue shirt still makes me wonder.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
It could be - and yep, I remember that convo. The blue shirt still makes me wonder.



Is everybody forgetting that in AOD there were THREE books.....
 
VampireJack said:
MaidOfKandar said:
It could be - and yep, I remember that convo. The blue shirt still makes me wonder.



Is everybody forgetting that in AOD there were THREE books.....
There is no AoD in this dojo unfortunately, and that would be a direct reference to the film.
 
eViL DeAdiTe said:
VampireJack said:
MaidOfKandar said:
It could be - and yep, I remember that convo. The blue shirt still makes me wonder.



Is everybody forgetting that in AOD there were THREE books.....
There is no AoD in this dojo unfortunately, and that would be a direct reference to the film.

Not only that, the two other books are basically mousetraps that are a bat and a whirlpool respectively when activated by The Words.  I buy him successfully getting his hands on either of those and willingly keeping them with him even less than him somehow getting his hands on the Actual Book.
 
Is it too difficult to believe he simply took it with him after the wiseman used it to make the potion in AoD?

Just because they don't have the rights to AoD doesn't mean those events haven't happened. Unless I missed a statement somewhere saying exactly that. I saw nothing in the show that contradicts it.
 
There's a book in the past and also one in the cabin in present time. He could easily took the one in the cabin when he came back. We must suppose this is the location he landed when he travel back to the future. We will probably never know. ;)
 
Guy said:
Is it too difficult to believe he simply took it with him after the wiseman used it to make the potion in AoD?

Just because they don't have the rights to AoD doesn't mean those events haven't happened. Unless I missed a statement somewhere saying exactly that. I saw nothing in the show that contradicts it.

It's actually not possible that he did, because if he took the Nec with him from the 1300s then it wouldn't be there in 198COUGH for Knowby to excavate from Kandar Castle.
 
You know, there is a *REALLY* simple way, with just 15 seconds of exchanged dialogue in Season 2 of 'Ash vs Evil Dead', that they could make *everything* (including expanded media) in the franchise make sense and work together and erase any discrepancies/plot holes.

Forgive my terrible writing skills, but imagine *something* vaguely along these lines as a concept;

[Ash confronting Ruby]

Ruby: (about to do whatever season 2 writers have in store for their finale/letting all hell loose) "You're too late Ash!! I've waited an eternity for this moment... And now I will watch you suffer for EVERY last time you have EVER interfered with my plans.."

Ash: "Lady, I dunno what you're talkin' about, but not even a one way ticket to Jacksonville is gonna save you from the 'ol boomstick this time - right Pedro?"

Pablo: " It's Pablo..."

Ruby: "Fool - you have NO idea just how many times we've been here already ...and it always ends the same way.. you and everyone you ever loved dies.."(faded flashback of Ash, Cheryl, Linda, Shelly and Scotty in Oldsmobile on their way to cabin from 'The Evil Dead' in background alongside flashback of Ash holding the book) "Countless times I have offered you an alternative.. the chance to live a normal life....I turned back time and gave you 'the reset' you yearned for...but no matter what i did, you always managed to find your way back to the book.. again.." (mixed faded flashback of only Ash and Linda in Oldsmobile driving to cabin a number of years later from 'Evil Dead 2' alongside flashback of army of darkness apocalypse ending) ..."and again" (flashback of Ash  kissing Jenny in S-Mart 'hail to the king baby' ending of AoD alongside flashback of Fisher impaled on stag horns) ..."Now we end this once and for all"
 
Its_Auto said:
You know, there is a *REALLY* simple way, with just 15 seconds of exchanged dialogue in Season 2 of 'Ash vs Evil Dead', that they could make *everything* (including expanded media) in the franchise make sense and work together and erase any discrepancies/plot holes.

Forgive my terrible writing skills, but imagine *something* vaguely along these lines as a concept;

[Ash confronting Ruby]

Ruby: (about to do whatever season 2 writers have in store for their finale/letting all hell loose) "You're too late Ash!! I've waited an eternity for this moment... And now I will watch you suffer for EVERY last time you have EVER interfered with my plans.."

Ash: "Lady, I dunno what you're talkin' about, but not even a one way ticket to Jacksonville is gonna save you from the 'ol boomstick this time - right Pedro?"

Pablo: " It's Pablo..."

Ruby: "Fool - you have NO idea just how many times we've been here already ...and it always ends the same way.. you and everyone you ever loved dies.."(faded flashback of Ash, Cheryl, Linda, Shelly and Scotty in Oldsmobile on their way to cabin from 'The Evil Dead' in background alongside flashback of Ash holding the book) "Countless times I have offered you an alternative.. the chance to live a normal life....I turned back time and gave you 'the reset' you yearned for...but no matter what i did, you always managed to find your way back to the book.. again.." (mixed faded flashback of only Ash and Linda in Oldsmobile driving to cabin a number of years later from 'Evil Dead 2' alongside flashback of army of darkness apocalypse ending) ..."and again" (flashback of Ash  kissing Jenny in S-Mart 'hail to the king baby' ending of AoD alongside flashback of Fisher impaled on stag horns) ..."Now we end this once and for all"

At this point I'd take the alternative timelines explanation gladly, even if I don't like it very much. However, the problem with your spec there is that it still doesn't explain how he has the book with him on the show.
 
DyD said:
Its_Auto said:
You know, there is a *REALLY* simple way, with just 15 seconds of exchanged dialogue in Season 2 of 'Ash vs Evil Dead', that they could make *everything* (including expanded media) in the franchise make sense and work together and erase any discrepancies/plot holes.

Forgive my terrible writing skills, but imagine *something* vaguely along these lines as a concept;

[Ash confronting Ruby]

Ruby: (about to do whatever season 2 writers have in store for their finale/letting all hell loose) "You're too late Ash!! I've waited an eternity for this moment... And now I will watch you  suffer for EVERY last time you have EVER interfered with my plans.."

Ash: "Lady, I dunno what you're talkin' about, but not even a one way ticket to Jacksonville is gonna save you from the 'ol boomstick this time - right Pedro?"

Pablo: " It's Pablo..."

Ruby: "Fool - you have NO idea just how many times we've been here already ...and it always ends the same way.. you and everyone you ever loved dies.."(faded flashback of Ash, Cheryl, Linda, Shelly and Scotty in Oldsmobile on their way to cabin from 'The Evil Dead' in background alongside flashback of Ash holding the book) "Countless times I have offered you an alternative.. the chance to live a normal life....I turned back time and gave you 'the reset' you yearned for...but no matter what i did, you always managed to find your way back to the book.. again.." (mixed faded flashback of only Ash and Linda in Oldsmobile driving to cabin a number of years later from 'Evil Dead 2' alongside flashback of army of darkness apocalypse ending) ..."and again" (flashback of Ash  kissing Jenny in S-Mart 'hail to the king baby' ending of AoD alongside flashback of Fisher impaled on stag horns) ..."Now we end this once and for all"

At this point I'd take the alternative timelines explanation gladly, even if I don't like it very much. However, the problem with your spec there is that it still doesn't explain how he has the book with him on the show.

^^ What DyD said - there'd have to be a reason for him to have a book that wouldn't involve him going back to the cabin (because it's strongly inferred that after he got back post-AOD he's never been back). But your spec dialogue's a lot of fun!
 
MaidOfKandar said:
DyD said:
Its_Auto said:
You know, there is a *REALLY* simple way, with just 15 seconds of exchanged dialogue in Season 2 of 'Ash vs Evil Dead', that they could make *everything* (including expanded media) in the franchise make sense and work together and erase any discrepancies/plot holes.

Forgive my terrible writing skills, but imagine *something* vaguely along these lines as a concept;

[Ash confronting Ruby]

Ruby: (about to do whatever season 2 writers have in store for their finale/letting all hell loose) "You're too late Ash!! I've waited an eternity for this moment... And now I will watch you  suffer for EVERY last time you have EVER interfered with my plans.."

Ash: "Lady, I dunno what you're talkin' about, but not even a one way ticket to Jacksonville is gonna save you from the 'ol boomstick this time - right Pedro?"

Pablo: " It's Pablo..."

Ruby: "Fool - you have NO idea just how many times we've been here already ...and it always ends the same way.. you and everyone you ever loved dies.."(faded flashback of Ash, Cheryl, Linda, Shelly and Scotty in Oldsmobile on their way to cabin from 'The Evil Dead' in background alongside flashback of Ash holding the book) "Countless times I have offered you an alternative.. the chance to live a normal life....I turned back time and gave you 'the reset' you yearned for...but no matter what i did, you always managed to find your way back to the book.. again.." (mixed faded flashback of only Ash and Linda in Oldsmobile driving to cabin a number of years later from 'Evil Dead 2' alongside flashback of army of darkness apocalypse ending) ..."and again" (flashback of Ash  kissing Jenny in S-Mart 'hail to the king baby' ending of AoD alongside flashback of Fisher impaled on stag horns) ..."Now we end this once and for all"

At this point I'd take the alternative timelines explanation gladly, even if I don't like it very much. However, the problem with your spec there is that it still doesn't explain how he has the book with him on the show.

^^ What DyD said - there'd have to be a reason for him to have a book that wouldn't involve him going back to the cabin (because it's strongly inferred that after he got back post-AOD he's never been back).   But your spec dialogue's a lot of fun!

It's true, It wouldn't explain *directly* how he has the book, but it would offer the viewer the *possibilty* (without saying it) that amongst various timelines, we're at a point (in the show) where Army of Darkness hasn't happened... Granted, at the moment, there ONLY isn't any mention of AoD in the series due to copyright issues, but there is enough in the series now to support that it *could* be an alternate timeline...the fact that there is no mention of time travel or his adventures in the past... no medieval robotic hand, the oldsmobile seems untouched / no evidence of it being the deathcoaster etc....soo...if you look beyond copyright, and consider that in the TV series timeline, Army of Darkness didn't happen, then you have a perfect explaination from Pablo how Ash has the book; "Ash said he tried burning the book once, but it didn't work". Think about it...in the Mexican TV Edited version of Evil Dead 2, during the remake scenes from 'The Evil Dead' you once again see Ash throw the book on the fire... (here is the footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quoJOsYWMFY ) and you dont see it burn and melt like you do in the original movie. Now, you don't see it for the rest of the movie, true, but if you consider that there was no rift in time and space, and Ash simply survived and left the cabin, and he has told pablo that the book *doesn't* burn...then it stands to reason he took the UNBURNED book from the fireplace with him? :)
 
Its_Auto said:
It's true, It wouldn't explain *directly* how he has the book, but it would offer the viewer the *possibilty* (without saying it) that amongst various timelines, we're at a point (in the show) where Army of Darkness hasn't happened... Granted, at the moment, there ONLY isn't any mention of AoD in the series due to copyright issues, but there is enough in the series now to support that it *could* be an alternate timeline...the fact that there is no mention of time travel or his adventures in the past... no medieval robotic hand, the oldsmobile seems untouched / no evidence of it being the deathcoaster etc....soo...if you look beyond copyright, and consider that in the TV series timeline, Army of Darkness didn't happen, then you have a perfect explaination from Pablo how Ash has the book; "Ash said he tried burning the book once, but it didn't work". Think about it...in the Mexican TV Edited version of Evil Dead 2, during the remake scenes from 'The Evil Dead' you once again see Ash throw the book on the fire... (here is the footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quoJOsYWMFY ) and you dont see it burn and melt like you do in the original movie. Now, you don't see it for the rest of the movie, true, but if you consider that there was no rift in time and space, and Ash simply survived and left the cabin, and he has told pablo that the book *doesn't* burn...then it stands to reason he took the UNBURNED book from the fireplace with him? :)

I actually didn't even know that scene existed. Still, you'd have to ignore the end to Evil Dead 2 to make sense out of it, thus creating yet another plot hole (how did Ash get rid of the Evil and got out of the cabin?). Also, they used footage from both ED and ED2 for the flashbacks on the show. Ash on the show remembers events that happened on both films. So you can't ignore stuff that has happened on either of those films, and in the first film you clearly see the book burning (there's a stop motion shot of the book reacting while being consumed and another quick shot of it blackened and charred). Ignoring AoD is a lot easier. All they need to do is never mention it (they did allude to Ash fighting an evil twin before, though - but that was written in way that wasn't very specific about it). The show doesn't directly contradict any of the events from AoD. The car can easily be explained by assuming that Ash got a new one that looks just like the old one because he has trouble letting go of the past. The book, however, can't be explained that easily, because it's unique and the stuff that happened to it happened in the first two films. Also, they strongly imply on the show that Ash never went back to the cabin after the events that took place on the films.

To be completely honest, that whole alternate timelines explanation would be a little too convoluted just to explain a plot hole that shouldn't even be in the show in the first place. The story continuity on the show is just completely messed up. There isn't much that can be done about it and I'd be surprised if they ever touch on any of that stuff on the second season.
 
DyD said:
To be completely honest, that whole alternate timelines explanation would be a little too convoluted just to explain a plot hole that shouldn't even be in the show in the first place. The story continuity on the show is just completely messed up. There isn't much that can be done about it and I'd be surprised if they ever touch on any of that stuff on the second season.
TLDR version: - I totally agree with you on that, but its still fun to speculate the 'what ifs' :D PS; off topic, but If you liked the book burning scene, you'll probably enjoy the Ash choking on a cereal toy scene too haha XD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ONRdjKm3M

If you have nothing better to do version (lol) : - Oh I completely agree with you; there aren't really any excuses for the plot holes! To be honest, until the TV show planted the seed, I never considered 'The Evil Dead' to be in the same universe as 'Evil Dead 2' and 'Army of Darkness' - To me, ED2 had remade events from the first movie in the opening 5 mins, and since Army of Darkness maintained that only Ash and Linda went to tha cabin, I was happy to accept that ED2 onwards was the 'accepted continuity' with the goofy acting, loud mouthed, one-liner spewing hero which all of us came to know and love. 'The Evil Dead' is my favourite movie of the trilogy, but in no universe can i ever see that shy (and terrified) teenage Ash as the same character we see in 'Ash vs Evil Dead' 30 years later. To me, Ash in TED died at the end. ED2 rebooted the franchise. (Thats just my personal take on it of course). However, along comes AvED, showing scenes of TED, and at first I'm thinking "yey, ED1 love, finally!" quickly followed by "wait...actually...this doesn't work". The AvED Ash is more of an AoD kind of character...which is ironic since that movie cannot be referenced. On the whole, I think the TV series only really allows for two options; either accept it as it is, flaws and all, and just enjoy the ride (as i think most of us are!), or consider it expanded media, like the various videogames that Bruce Campbell voiced, or comic book series, and not part of the main 'canon' (if there even is one at this point). Truth be told, it wouldnt surprise me if when Sam Raimi finally makes 'Army of Darkness 2', the TV series is ignored / relagated to 'Non-canon'. I wouldn't mind much either way.. 'Evil Dead: Regeneration' took place immediately after ED2 and ignored AoD as never happening.... Evil Dead: Hail to the King followed the S-Mart ending of Army of Darkness (which was confusing for UK viewers at the time, as the only version available here at that time on VHS was the European cut featuring Sam's original 'Apocalypse' ending...so unless you were a fan who had double-dipped on the 4 font video reissue vhs with both endings, it made no sense at all lol) so at this point, I don't think *anything* they do, whether in the Tv show or a future movie, or even a game, could ever bring stability to the continuity to please everyone anyway. I think as fans, we simply have to accept now, if it has Bruce, slapstick, over the top gore, and plenty of one-liners...its Evil Dead, no continuity required, lol (to be honest, I can live with that) :) I still think that if they clear up the AoD rights issue, *some* continuity will be restored (hopefully even the book issue will be looked at).
 
Its_Auto said:
On the whole, I think the TV series only really allows for two options; either accept it as it is, flaws and all, and just enjoy the ride (as i think most of us are!), or consider it expanded media, like the various videogames that Bruce Campbell voiced, or comic book series, and not part of the main 'canon' (if there even is one at this point).

Second option for me.

Truth be told, it wouldnt surprise me if when Sam Raimi finally makes 'Army of Darkness 2', the TV series is ignored / relagated to 'Non-canon'.

An ED 4/AoD 2 movie that followed the original post-apocalyptic ending, written and directed by Sam Raimi, is what I actually always wanted. However, I'm well aware that the chances of ever getting that were slim to none. With that in mind, I'd also be happy with an ED4 movie written and directed by Sam Raimi that followed the S-Mart ending. It could even be made for TV or go straight to video. Instead, we got the ED remake and AvED, two attempts at continuing the franchise I never asked for and disappointed me immensely. Maybe I should jump in the "it's better than nothing" bandwagon, but I can't think like that. To me, it isn't better than nothing. If this is the best they can do with the series, I rather have nothing.
 
They did not have any rights to Army of Darkness for Ash Vs Evil Dead, which is why it was never once metntioned throughout the season that he ever went back in time etc.

However Ash never brought the Necronomicon with him when he went through the portal to 1300 A.D. The Necronomicon still existed in his time as well as in 1300 A.D. since he went back in time. When Ash was sent back to his time the book should have still been there. I would say that when he returned, he would have returned right where he entered the portal. He perhaps grabbed the book from there and got the hell out.
 
Ash2Ash said:
They did not have any rights to Army of Darkness for Ash Vs Evil Dead, which is why it was never once metntioned throughout the season that he ever went back in time etc.

However Ash never brought the Necronomicon with him when he went through the portal to 1300 A.D. The Necronomicon still existed in his time as well as in 1300 A.D. since he went back in time. When Ash was sent back to his time the book should have still been there. I would say that when he returned, he would have returned right where he entered the portal. He perhaps grabbed the book from there and got the hell out.

While it is never shown or stated in the Theatrical cut, I think it stands to reason that in an off-screen capacity, even in the S-Mart ending, Ash would have awoken in England and had to travel back to the US... the reason being that AoD takes place in an unspecified region in medieval Britain. In the theatrical cut you hear the Wiseman telling ash that taking 6 drops and reciting the words Klaatu Verata Nikto will allow him to awaken in his own time (since that requires he sleeps, he will awaken in the future where he is located, just as he did in the original Apocalypse ending - future London. :)
 
Top Bottom