[Official Thread] Evil Dead Rise

I really liked Rise but haven't had the desire to re-watch it yet.
 
Definitely doesn't have the infinite rewatchability of the original three, but a fun watch every few years

Rise is more watchable than 2013. Lee is likable, and I'm interested to see what he does with the new Mummy movie Unlike Romulus which only got coverage because Fede used Ian Holm's head. Day 1 of work on The Mummy was yesterday.

bafkreigco6i2e7w5nb5r26fkt74b24s4oarblml37og6oknn5xnwhn6qbu@jpeg
 
Last edited:
I don't know how many of you have read through the recently released Evil Dead Rise script, but I have been reading it off and on the past couple days and have been making notes about some of the changes and details featured in this draft.
  • It’s strongly implied that the other technician is the father of Beth’s baby, as the two share an “I love you” through the bathroom door. This is changed in the final scene, as Bruce (no, not Campbell... the character’s name is Bruce) just walks away after Beth tells him to go back to his station, leaving no hint of a romance between them.
  • As it turns out, the Oldsmobile originally had a cameo during an establishing shot of Los Angeles. “The rotting carcass of a yellow OLDSMOBILE DELTA sits alongside the TENT HOMES and cardboard beds of THE HOMELESS.”
  • There’s a bit more dialogue between Ellie and Beth about Jay’s departure after the kids are told to go get pizza, and we get confirmation that Jay and Ellie were actually married. The continued conversation is a little more aggressive between the two sisters than the final version.
  • Naturom Demonto is described as having a mechanical lock that is covered by the teeth, which activates from Danny’s blood being drawn into the mechanism instead of absorbed into the fleshy cover.
  • The numbered records have specific dates: ONE - November 13th, 1922, TWO - January 24th, 1923, and SEVEN - 27th January 1923. Apparently there were supposed to be seven records.
  • There is a bit more detail about Marcus Littleton, where he states that he is the librarian of St. Patricks (though where exactly this St. Patricks is remains unclear, so it’s probably a fictional one). His examination of the book takes place in the very real Diablo mountains in California.
  • There’s a neat visual during Ellie’s demonic attack in the elevator of a demonic hand appearing underneath the flesh of her cheek and stretching out her skin as it tries to break out.
  • The voice of Ellie on the phone is confirmed to be a demonic trick: “Beth? Beth? You have to help me Beth. You have to… I’m burning. I’m burning alive. AND I LOVE IT!!!”
  • There’s a moment of the neighbors (Jake, Gabriel, and Mr. Fonda) standing in the hallway and hearing the initial chaos of Ellie’s attack on Bridget in the apartment.

Shockingly, this draft is pretty close to the final product besides the things I noted, so I'm curious if this was the second to last draft before filming began.
 
I've been rewatching the entire franchise here and there since Burn came out, and not in any particular order. I finally got to Rise, and while I historically haven't been a huge fan of it for various reasons, one scene in particular really stood out to me. Deadite Ellie and Kassie talking through the door is an all-time Evil Dead scene for me. Something about exploiting an innocent child's hope that her mother is really alright and that her father has returned hit hard this time. Ellie singing in the hallway and talking to Kassie like a caring mother would, dropping the fantastic line "nothing a big old hug and kiss from you won't fix", and so on. Alyssa Sutherland killed it.

Now, if only the rest of the movie was this good.
 
Deadite Ellie and Kassie talking through the door is an all-time Evil Dead scene for me. Something about exploiting an innocent child's hope that her mother is really alright and that her father has returned hit hard this time. Ellie singing in the hallway and talking to Kassie like a caring mother would, dropping the fantastic line "nothing a big old hug and kiss from you won't fix", and so on. Alyssa Sutherland killed it.
It's a much better version of the scene from ED2 of Henrietta singing through the cellar door to Annie.
 
Top Bottom