[Official Thread] Evil Dead Rise

Just saw it, and I liked it better than I though! But... my rating would be equal to the 2013 remake.

Another 'cameo' was the paintings of ED2's cabin in the appartment.

Nice catch!!

Friday Box Office report: pulled in 7.8 mil on Friday (yes I had to do the math on that because Box Office Mojo didn't update and every other outlet is lumping in the cash it made during previews with this, and now linked to the Variety article explaining the number), 10.3 mil cum. B Flat Cinemascore, which feels about right. Will probably hit $20-$25 mil, which is either on or slightly above the $25 mil far end estimate.

Mario still ahead, apparently, at $14 mil.
 
Last edited:
Curious if anyone has pointed out that all the character names are references to past cast/crew members?

Naming them that way works better than in Evil Dead 2013 when the first letter of each name David, Eric, Mia, Olivia, and Natalie spelled out demon.

I'm not a fan of the yellow eyes. I hope they go back to white eyes for future movies.

Lee Cronin (I think said) in an interview that the reason they went with the different colored eyes for Deadites is because with the white eyes you couldn't tell where they were focusing and it added a different aesthetic.
 
Naming them that way works better than in Evil Dead 2013 when the first letter of each name David, Eric, Mia, Olivia, and Natalie spelled out demon.



Lee Cronin (I think said) in an interview that the reason they went with the different colored eyes for Deadites is because with the white eyes you couldn't tell where they were focusing and it added a different aesthetic.

LMAO I will never forget or forgive multiple things with the remake, but Fede being so proud of himself for the DEMON naming convention is up there.

I'm not sure I'm 100 percent following Lee's logic there, but eh. Why not make them red or something unique then?
 
Some interviews with Lee that suggest where the franchise may be going after this:

Lee's four sequel ideas:

* Following Beth and Kassie on the road

* Lore behind this particular BOTD: “We have history in this film and that’s presented through the vinyl. So there’s there’s a story to be told there. It’s not by accident.”

* Aftermath at the apartment with a clean-up crew (uh. In an unstable building?)

* A forest/cabin narrative: "Because of the opening and the closing, there’s that continuation of how this evil has a gate. That brings us back into that forest context, which excites me because I love that I broke the mold, but wouldn’t it be fun now if I went back to the cabin in the woods. It could be a cool journey."

There is also apparently a considered trilogy film where each of them would direct a new mini-movie. But that seems to be Lee closing the barn door, as if there won't be more directors in the franchise.

Also apparently they cut very little to get the R they ended up with, so I'm guessing there won't be a directors/unrated cut.
 
Last edited:
Annd final weekend box office has the film in second place, coming in at $23.5 mil. That means it underperformed the remake domestically by $2 mil. Mario made $58.23 mil.

So it did well, it'll probably make back promotional costs (if it hasn't already), budget definitely made back in the first weekend, the question will be how leggy it is. This basically puts it on the same track as Cocaine Bear on the success scale, and it's coming down from its peak on Friday at 9 mil. It's good news and bad news at the same time, in that it probably should have outstripped the remake on opening but is obviously going to be a success.
 
Mario pulled in $71 mil worldwide:

That's interesting because that would be more than the remake made worldwide during its entire run, which would make it drastically more popular internationally than domestically.

ETA: source attained!
 
Last edited:
Hmm, apparently Evil Dead Rise earned 40.8 million wolrdwide:



23 million+ in the US on opening weekend is a good pull with an additional 16 million+ outside of the US, and depending one what site you read the movie had a budget of between 15-19 million making everything else icing on the cake. At any rate, Germany is next on the docket according to IMDB... and if the numbers stay the way they are my prediction that it would surpass Evil Dead 2013's over all take at the box office will hold true.


 
Last edited:
Some interviews with Lee that suggest where the franchise may be going after this:

Lee's four sequel ideas:

* Following Beth and Kassie on the road

* Lore behind this particular BOTD: “We have history in this film and that’s presented through the vinyl. So there’s there’s a story to be told there. It’s not by accident.”

* Aftermath at the apartment with a clean-up crew (uh. In an unstable building?)

* A forest/cabin narrative: "Because of the opening and the closing, there’s that continuation of how this evil has a gate. That brings us back into that forest context, which excites me because I love that I broke the mold, but wouldn’t it be fun now if I went back to the cabin in the woods. It could be a cool journey."

There is also apparently a considered trilogy film where each of them would direct a new mini-movie. But that seems to be Lee closing the barn door, as if there won't be more directors in the franchise.

Also apparently they cut very little to get the R they ended up with, so I'm guessing there won't be a directors/unrated cut.
I hope what they did have to cut was more cheese grater. They hyped that up so much for like a 2 second shot. If there was any gore that was cut I hope it was some additional footage there. That said, based on this image it looks like Lee maybe had a cut at one point that was 2 hours and 29 mins long? I'm not familiar with the program this came from so I could absolutely be reading it wrong. But if that's only a saying 2mins and 29 seconds, holy hell that's a lot of cuts in such a short span of time. Anyway, that gives me hope that there's a longer cut out there with more character development of the tertiary characters. Some might not want that, but I am all about giving those characters a little more breathing room and amping up the tension before Mama goes full deadite.
 
Just seen Rise yesterday, so sorry if I'm gonna repeat something that's already been said here.

I really liked it, it's very different to the previous movies, very serious and visceral, but I like that it's trying something different and that it opens the door for Evil Dead to be a some sort of an anthology franchise, where different directors could give different spins on the core premise. I also like how this movie kind of challenges the bizarre idea of "elevated horror". Like it's showing us that surprise surprise, you can have mature emotional allegorical themes, while at the same time brutal blood baths and bodily dismemberment. Those two things don't contradict each other and they never did.

I don't think this is the best Evil Dead movie (1 and 2 are still my favorite), but oh boy, I would say that at least for me, it is probably the scariest. And I can't even get pregnant!
 
Last edited:
I'm back from the theater and it was actually a GOOD Evil Dead movie....Nothing more, nothing less... 7/10


I will not give you a full detailed review, but here's my thought:



PRO:

-Acting is actually good and we did care about the characters. Good choice of cast. (Compare to Fede Alvares's remake and even AVED, this is a win)
-I like the overall ambiance of the movie. A big throwback to the first Evil Dead.
-Good use of references from the ED mythology.


Middle :

Despite of the "Rise" in the title. The movie is actually just another REMAKE. There's absolutely no surprise here. You already know the story from A to Z.


CON:

-Lee Cornin took too much elements from Fede Alvarez's remake. Mostly Deadites looks and their behavior. Unfortunately he did not make this movie his own.
-Un original kills....a lots of Déja-vu, and some could have been good for a Final Destination movie...
-The whole ending and the wrap-up....Wow! That was cheap!...Sorry but it was only a cheap version of Fede's Remake....It was similar on so many points....Chainsaw, raining blood...flipping page that shows the final boss, the marauder deadite...Fede did a thing right onED 2013: The ending was much more satisfying and epic.
-The Wrap-up : Cheesy as...(You know the word.. Don't be like Ash!)

Final Thought:

I could compare the 2013 remake to EDR, but it's a bit more of the same....
What can I say? Lee Cornin did many things better than Fede Alvarez on this one, but the inverse is also true.

Fede version have bad characters, but manage to make a savage introduction and a epic ending.
Lee Cornin have good characters,. The movie comes with a corny intro and a cheap ending (Everything in between is actually very good)

The biggest flaw of EDR is it lack of personality.


P.S : Like the idea or not. It's obvious they will do a "multi-verse thing" with the 3 books....


I respect your opinion man, but it also kinda makes me wonder if we've seen the same movie. :)
 
I did not like EDR very much at all, I'm afraid.
(some light spoilers below but nothing plot-specific)

- Lots of (to me) extremely cringeworthy cinematic choices such as the title screen which looked *awful*.
- Leaned too much into recreating what has come before, in a new setting, when I wanted to see it take advantage of the new setting to do something different.
- It lacked a little restraint with it's references and call-backs. We all want to see nods to the previous movies, of course, but by the point at which characters were literally just saying Ash's catchphrases whilst wielding his trademark weapons, my eyes were rolling.
- The main deadite threat at the end of the movie, whilst an interesting concept, was badly executed and felt like less of a threat than what had come before. Plus the same thing was done much more effectively in an episode of Red Dwarf, which is saying something!

It wasn't without its positives, though. I thought that the plot device used to both introduce the book and trap the characters in the apartment block did not feel contrived, so top marks for that and the performances were all great. I just don't think I will ever feel the need to watch this again, whereas I think the remake is a solid addition to the franchise.

I am genuinely delighted that it has done so well, though, because that means we can get more Evil Dead movies and, whilst that might yet be a "careful what you wish for" situation for me, I am intrigued to see where else they can take this premise now freed from the film's iconic main character.
 
Last edited:
23 million+ in the US on opening weekend is a good pull with an additional 16 million+ outside of the US, and depending one what site you read the movie had a budget of between 15-19 million making everything else icing on the cake. At any rate, Germany is next on the docket according to IMDB... and if the numbers stay the way they are my prediction that it would surpass Evil Dead 2013's over all take at the box office will hold true.




Thank you for breaking the numbers down, Nick, Box Office Mojo was taking forever with the Sunday cumes. We have to toss whatever the marketing cost was on top but God knows what that was (seven to two times the actual budget? What the hell is the standard for that?), but it's doing well, I'm sure it's turning a profit at this point. It'll be interesting if it does do it that way because it'll get to $50 mil plus with a stronger international take than the remake, which is interesting to me in of itself, sort of a reverse word-of-mouth situation from what happened with the remake (for those who weren't here: the remake did very well initially and then instantly cratered and got a C cinemascore; Rise is doing well on the critical level and at least held up over Saturday, and is doing better internationally after word got out on Twitter about its quality).

I hope what they did have to cut was more cheese grater. They hyped that up so much for like a 2 second shot. If there was any gore that was cut I hope it was some additional footage there. That said, based on this image it looks like Lee maybe had a cut at one point that was 2 hours and 29 mins long? I'm not familiar with the program this came from so I could absolutely be reading it wrong. But if that's only a saying 2mins and 29 seconds, holy hell that's a lot of cuts in such a short span of time. Anyway, that gives me hope that there's a longer cut out there with more character development of the tertiary characters. Some might not want that, but I am all about giving those characters a little more breathing room and amping up the tension before Mama goes full deadite.
Per what Lee said, what they cut was literally fractions of seconds because they were initially shooting for cable and Warners was very permissive on the cut. Fede had a ton of stuff on the cutting room floor, including whole scenes that never made it into his cut that made it into the trailer, and we all know Sam's story. IDK if we have that much footage per what Lee's said. It's a wait and see sit! But yeah, I wanted more out of that cheese grater scene too.

I love that we all have differing points of view on this one!

Sharing my fave alt poster so far:

 
Last edited:
Thank you for breaking the numbers down, Nick, Box Office Mojo was taking forever with the Sunday cumes. We have to toss whatever the marketing cost was on top but God knows what that was (seven to two times the actual budget? What the hell is the standard for that?), but it's doing well, I'm sure it's turning a profit at this point. It'll be interesting if it does do it that way because it'll get to $50 mil plus with a stronger international take than the remake, which is interesting to me in of itself, sort of a reverse word-of-mouth situation from what happened with the remake (for those who weren't here: the remake did very well initially and then instantly cratered and got a C cinemascore; Rise is doing well on the critical

Looking at other movies like Air which cost Amazon a whopping 90 million dollars plus 40 million in advertisements, and made 3.7 million on opening day despite Oscar buzz going in before going on to make 40 million in the US (68 overall...) but the studios still throw money at Ben "Don't call me Batfleck" Affleck and Matt Damon to make movies about shoes and whatnot, heh.

I hope what they did have to cut was more cheese grater. They hyped that up so much for like a 2 second shot. If there was any gore that was cut I hope it was some additional footage there. That said, based on this image it looks like Lee maybe had a cut at one point that was 2 hours and 29 mins long? I'm not familiar with the program this came from so I could absolutely be reading it wrong. But if that's only a saying 2mins and 29 seconds, holy hell that's a lot of cuts in such a short span of time. Anyway, that gives me hope that there's a longer cut out there with more character development of the tertiary characters. Some might not want that, but I am all about giving those characters a little more breathing room and amping up the tension before Mama goes full deadite.

I have a feeling they cut some things to keep it at an r rating since I thought things like the hair rip (it was in the trailer) was kind of a let down too and thought the aftermath was going to be way more gory, but it was so dark you couldn't really tell the horror of what just happened to that young lady... and when it comes to extra footage Lee will not wait a year plus like Fede when there is no hype to put out any extra footage such as a shot of Mia walking out of the woods and being picked up. Oh, and the biggest problem with the 2013 delay is that it took a tv station in the UK playing the extended cut by accident to get it out there. The other issue was when Fede immediately said something along the lines of the version you saw in theaters was mine only to share the original ending in the script that was changed and for good reason by Rob Tapert and Sam Raimi for his special 9th anniversary shit posting. Remember Fede's bio says he makes movies to piss you off while Lee Cronin and company make good movies to entertain you.


But I digress because this isn't about the past, but the present and the future of The Evil Dead franchise which is in better hands going forward... and we know people lose those hands on occasion.
 
Last edited:
Looking at other movies like Air which cost Amazon a whopping 90 million dollars plus 40 million in advertisements, and made 3.7 million on opening day despite Oscar buzz going in before going on to make 40 million in the US (68 overall...) but the studios still throw money at Ben "Don't call me Batfleck" Affleck and Matt Damon to make movies about shoes and whatnot, heh.



I have a feeling they cut some things to keep it at an r rating since I thought things like the hair rip (it was in the trailer) was kind of a let down too and thought the aftermath was going to be way more gory, but it was so dark you couldn't really tell the horror of what just happened to that young lady... and when it comes to extra footage Lee will not wait a year plus like Fede when there is no hype to put out any extra footage such as a shot of Mia walking out of the woods and being picked up. Oh, and the biggest problem with the 2013 delay is that it took a tv station in the UK playing the extended cut by accident to get it out there. The other issue was when Fede immediately said something along the lines of the version you saw in theaters was mine only to share the original ending in the script that was changed and for good reason by Rob Tapert and Sam Raimi for his special 9th anniversary shit posting. Remember Fede's bio says he makes movies to piss you off while Lee Cronin and company make good movies to entertain you.


But I digress because this isn't about the past, but the present and the future of The Evil Dead franchise which is in better hands going forward... and we know people lose those hands on occasion.

It's a gamble, isn't it? I mean I thought "Renfield" would at least make something at the box office!

I will say this about Lee; he's been consistent across interviews about how much footage he has and how much time he had and how hard making the movie was for him. At least he's not switching his story up!
 
Top Bottom