[Official Thread] Evil Dead Rise

I will say this about Lee; he's been consistent across interviews about how much footage he has and how much time he had and how hard making the movie was for him. At least he's not switching his story up!

Lee said during a panel that they shot Rise in chronological order, but production got shut down for a number of weeks which had to be hard on everyone... and that probably gave them time to rethink and change things. So I can understand that, and why when production ended they dumped blood on his head to celebrate.
 
Lee said during a panel that they shot Rise in chronological order, but production got shut down for a number of weeks which had to be hard on everyone... and that probably gave them time to rethink and change things. So I can understand that, and why when production ended they dumped blood on his head to celebrate.

Was it Covid? I know that they were shooting in the thick of that.

Listening to podcast interviews with the guy definitely made me feel for him, he Went Through It for this film.
 
Was it Covid? I know that they were shooting in the thick of that.

Listening to podcast interviews with the guy definitely made me feel for him, he Went Through It for this film.

Yeah, it shut down production for weeks... and also made it harder to bring in blood considering how much they used in the movie leading them to have to recycle it. So when seeing the movie know that they really suffered for their art while being covered in months old sticky blood.
 
I haven't seen the movie yet, but looking at all these posters people are putting out, I gotta say that at the very least the imagery in Evil Dead Rise is a lot more interesting and memorable than anything in the remake.

Jane Levy was magical as Mia, and makes the 2013 movie... but Evil Dead Rise is worth seeing for a lot of reasons.
 
I haven't seen the movie yet, but looking at all these posters people are putting out, I gotta say that at the very least the imagery in Evil Dead Rise is a lot more interesting and memorable than anything in the remake.
Its just different. Fede's movie definitely has memorable moments (the box cutter scene comes to mind immediately) but its a "remake" so the set pieces aren't all that unique since we've seen it all before. Lee's movie is totally different and so there's new cool stuff to relate to.
 
Jane Levy was magical as Mia, and makes the 2013 movie

I'm well aware it's not the popular opinion, but for me, personally... Meh.

Its just different. Fede's movie definitely has memorable moments (the box cutter scene comes to mind immediately) but its a "remake" so the set pieces aren't all that unique since we've seen it all before. Lee's movie is totally different and so there's new cool stuff to relate to.

That's not really what I'm talking about. Sure, the box cutter/tongue scene is memorable within the context of the film, but I'm talking about imagery that can become iconic by itself and immediately evoke the movie when you see it, stuff you can put on a poster or merchandise and have it not only look cool, but also become a recognizable sort of "face" for the film. Perhaps it's just from a lack of creativity from the marketing department or missed opportunities and not a fault of the movie, but to me, nearly everything related to the remake felt generic, bland and derivative.

Also, I don't buy that argument that a film can't feature unique design or have a distinct personality just because it's a remake, as if that would somehow constrain creativity and limit design choices. John Carpenter's The Thing is a remake and it's pretty damn unique and iconic on all departments. Cronenberg's The Fly too. Bram Stoker's Dracula is unlike any other film version of that story that came before it, filled to the brim with iconic imagery and it just oozes a style and personality entirely its own.
 
Last edited:
I'm well aware it's not the popular opinion, but for me, personally... Meh.



That's not really what I'm talking about. Sure, the box cutter/tongue scene is memorable within the context of the film, but I'm talking about imagery that can become iconic by itself and immediately invoke the movie when you see it, stuff you can put on a poster or on merchandise and have it not only look cool, but also become a recognizable sort of "face" for the film. Perhaps it's just from a lack of creativity from the marketing department or missed opportunities and not a fault of the movie, but to me, nearly everything related to the remake felt generic, bland and derivative.

Also, I don't buy that argument that a film can't feature unique design or have a distinct personality just because it's a remake, as if that would somehow constrain creativity and limit design choices. John Carpenter's The Thing is a remake and it's pretty damn unique and iconic on all departments. Cronenberg's The Fly too. Bram Stoker's Dracula is unlike any other film version of that story that came before it, filled to the brim with iconic imagery and it just oozes a style and personality entirely its own.
I think there's a reason why most folks don't even know The Thing or The Fly are even remakes. Those films are so vastly different and from a different time than their originals. Bram Stoker's Dracula too is just such a vibe. So I agree and disagree, I think there's some remakes out there that incredible and definitely surprise the originals. I don't think a remake of Evil Dead could ever surpass the original, or stand in a league with the films you mentioned because there's too much nostalgia behind the origjnal than say, The Thing From Another World. I still think there's some iconic imagery from Fede's film there: the box cutter, the blood rain, the cats hanging from the ceiling, the red dress, the needle in the eye, there's quite a few scenes that like you said, in the context of the film, are incredible. The things than can stand on their own though are what? Cabin the woods? Evil trees? A demon in the cellar? Again, all things that came from the original. The remake follows the plot too closely to set it apart for me. That's where films like The Thing and the Fly stand out because they took it far beyond what the original ever could given the time they were made. That's also still why I think the new one feels fresh. I dunno, we may even be arguing the same point. Let it be known I am a Evil Dead 2013 fan LOL.
 
I dunno, we may even be arguing the same point. Let it be known I am a Evil Dead 2013 fan LOL.

You know, I think we might be.

But let it be known, I'm definitely not a fan of Evil Dead 2013. :p

I do intend to revisit it before seeing Evil Dead Rise though, see if my rejection of it lightens a bit. Gonna give the extended cut a try.
 
Last edited:
As someone who's not a big remake fan, I can say this much - I liked and cared more about the characters in Rise than I did the remake. But everyone's gonna feel a different way about all of the movies in the franchise.
 
I figured as much since Lee's said a couple of times he doesn't have anything left over when it comes to spare footage but man, I'm not gonna shell out for a steelbook without commentary on it.
 
Yeah, it shut down production for weeks... and also made it harder to bring in blood considering how much they used in the movie leading them to have to recycle it. So when seeing the movie know that they really suffered for their art while being covered in months old sticky blood.

An interview that popped up last night with Lee Cronin about the movie and the stuff they went through to get it made.

 
OK, this is bothering me belatedly about Rise now that I've had time to think about it more:

So the manner of posession is wildly uneven in most Evil Dead movies but man, in this one - Beth should've at least been temporarily possessed three times after her skin was penetrated by a Deadite.
 
Top Bottom