Army of Darkness/Evil Dead Comics Discussion Thread!

That's a great framework. We're still very early stages, but at least how I'm envisioning it, there's gonna be at least some opportunity to open it up and explore then larger Dynamite lore a bit, if and where it makes sense to do so.
Are you thinking of having campaigns that are adaptations of the comic stories?
 
Are you thinking of having campaigns that are adaptations of the comic stories?
I'm not there yet. I'm thinking at this preliminary stage about what lore to potentially incorporate, or possibilities for characters or monsters or what have you.
 
I always thought that the Army of Darkness setting would be fun to explore. I'm not sure if it's stated in the movie itself, but I always presumed that the reason why the location of Castle Kandar, that's supposed to be set in England, actually looks like Californian desert, is because of the influence of the Evil Forces. Which begs the question what other parts of this area look like. You could have small villages occupied by Deadites or other creatures. There was also some concept art for Evil Dead: The Game where you see like weird swamps and totems and shrines, maybe even like with some cults worshiping the Kandarian Demon. Potentially interesting stuff.
 
You could have small villages occupied by Deadites or other creatures. There was also some concept art for Evil Dead: The Game where you see like weird swamps and totems and shrines, maybe even like with some cults worshiping the Kandarian Demon.
The Eden Studios Army of Darkness RPG did that exact thing. There's literally a line in the book that says something to the effect of "Clearly they weren't going for realism since medieval England looks like California, so we can do whatever we want to the landscape." In there, they add a swamp, a canyon, and a cult that worship the Kandarian Demon.
 
I'm not there yet. I'm thinking at this preliminary stage about what lore to potentially incorporate, or possibilities for characters or monsters or what have you.
If you're looking for lore bits, these are the storylines/issues you should check out:

>Army of Darkness Vs. Re-Animator #3 (from the 2005 series; gives a little bit of backstory of the Necronomicon and introduces the Mirror Dimension)
>Army of Darkness (Volume 1): The Death of Ash #12-13 (gives an origin for Ash, sets up the mythology of "The Chosen One")
>It's hard to pick any specific issue from Army of Darkness Volume 2 because that whole thing is a massive lore dump with a TON of characters and monsters.
>Army of Darkness Volume 3: Again, the whole thing is a lore dump with lots of characters and multiverse shenanigans.
>Army of Darkness Forever: Lore sprinkled throughout, cool settings, cool weapons, not too many new characters (mainly sticks with the AOD movie cast).
 
I'm not there yet. I'm thinking at this preliminary stage about what lore to potentially incorporate, or possibilities for characters or monsters or what have you.
I think you might enjoy looking into Castle Rising in Kings Lynne, Norfolk England to include in your fiction.

It's a 12th century English castle that I've visited a couple of times including today.

Queen Isabella of France married King Edward the ll. King Edward was openly homosexual which annoyed his Queen so she arranged for him to be murdered. This was achieved by (I'm not making this up) a red hot poker being pushed in Edward the ll's anus.

Seriously.

A lot of people assume this was her revenge for him being gay but there was another reason that brutal form of murder was chosen. It would leave no obvious marks on a King who'd been murdered so harder to prove who the culprit was.

Edward the ll's son, Edward the lll worked out what had happened and banished Isabella to Castle Rising to live out her years confined but also in luxury.

Reports were she went mad. Current folklore is that the castle is haunted by her wailings on the upper parts of the castle, a woman and child in period clothing have been seen walking down the grand stone staircase by occasional tourists and a as yet unexplained 'tapping' sound on the windows can be heard. I was filming there a few nights ago for a Norfolk paranormal investigation group and although we didn't see anything strange, the tapping sounds were loud.


I've worked before with Chris Halton, the gentleman who's produced and is presenting this video of Castle Rising. I think this would be a great location to incorporate into an Evil Dead story.

 
Last edited:
That's some gnarly Game of Thrones action.
Sam Raimi had to build a fake 1300 AD castle for Army Of Darkness. We've got the real things and older over here in England. I'd suggest leaving the red hot poker up 'the wrong 'un' part out though. Nobody ever wants to see that.
 
Bill Galvan will be selling some of his custom Archie x Army of Darkness VHS boxes at Black Cat Comics in Salt Lake City, Utah NEXT Saturday (Free Comic Book Day)!
 
Don't forget Archie x Army of Darkness #4 is out TODAY! Just picked up my copies and enjoyed it. Nice and gory all the way through. My only complaint is that it's weird how they're flip-flopping colors midway through this series on the most random things like the book and Ash's chainsaw.
 
Archie x Army of Darkness #5 Blind Bags have been pushed back a week to June 17th. The standard #5 is still slated for June 10th.
 
Bill Galvan has seriously done some of the best promotion of an Army of Darkness comic that I've ever seen. Between all his sketches, behind the scenes images, and the neat little things like the VHS tapes and the buttons... it just blows any promotional thing Dynamite has done (which is nothing at all) out of the water.

 
I know this isnt exactly associated with any comics or anything but always wondered why the Primitive Screwheads never asked Ash about the Future. Would of been great for them to find out that the chosen one/ saviour is just a clerk and not some mighty warrior.
 
I know this isnt exactly associated with any comics or anything but always wondered why the Primitive Screwheads never asked Ash about the Future. Would of been great for them to find out that the chosen one/ saviour is just a clerk and not some mighty warrior.
From AOD/Xena (Volume 1) #4. I think this is the only time anyone has inquired about the future from Ash.
AboutTheFuture-AODXenaVol1-4.jpg
 
Archie x Army of Darkness #5 Blind Bags have been pushed back a week to June 17th. The standard #5 is still slated for June 10th.
In true Dynamite fashion (and to the shock of absolutely no-one), Archie x AOD #5 blind bags have been delayed AGAIN. New date is June 24th... maybe. One can only hope that the delay is to ensure we don't have a repeat of #1's blind bags and the comics aren't glued to the top of the bag again.
 
Archie x Army of Darkness #5 is out TODAY! Just picked up my copies and I enjoyed it!
Non-spoiler thoughts: It's definitely worth a read. One of the better AOD crossovers overall. My LCS owner even said that this is easily one of his top favorite Archie crossovers.
Spoiler thoughts:
I'm a little bummed that none of the main Archie cast died or was actually turned into a Deadite. Considering the covers sort of hinted at that happening with possessed Ash, it's sad they didn't pull the trigger on it.
Speaking of Deadites, Cheryl had a nice little cameo. Always good to see them sneak in a nod to the other Evil Dead movies in these.
There was also a missed opportunity to have the final page of Ash laying on the beach in his Jacksonville outfit from AvED Season Two instead of a generic Hawaiian shirt, but that's whatever.
Robert Hack will have a blind bag exclusive cover (whenever those come out), and I'll post the high-quality art as soon as he does.
 
In true Dynamite fashion (and to the shock of absolutely no-one), Archie x AOD #5 blind bags have been delayed AGAIN. New date is June 24th... maybe. One can only hope that the delay is to ensure we don't have a repeat of #1's blind bags and the comics aren't glued to the top of the bag again.
New #5 blind bag date is July 1st. Seems like Dynamite is wanting to hold off on a few AOD things to release them around the time Burn comes out. We get the blind bags the week before the movie and then the retail release of the AOD board game the week after. I'm shocked they didn't have any reprints for the omnis or a few trades lined up for July like they did to capitalize on AvED and Rise.
 
Any rumblings on what the next unlikely Army of Darkness crossover comic series will be?
 
Any rumblings on what the next unlikely Army of Darkness crossover comic series will be?
Like I've said before, we've gotten two crossovers back to back. It's been two years since a normal non-crossover AOD series, so we're overdue for one of those. September solicitations come out this Friday, but if there is anything new in the pipeline, we'll hear about it between now and then.

As for unlikely speculation... based on the pattern of the last 13 years of crossovers, I'd be more than willing to bet that it's going to be another Dynamite-owned property and not one with another publisher... so... I don't know... maybe CHAOS (since they're doing four CHAOS Library hardcover Kickstarters over the next year and a half and probably want to put out something new with those characters to ride the hype). Yeah, put me down for CHAOS vs Army of Darkness being the next one.
 
Top Bottom