Evil Dead Burn | Official Thread

I am shocked to report that this is the first Evil Dead movie that John Squires hated: Vis. Bloody Disgusting also gave it two skulls.
 
It looks like Evil Dead Burn will hit home video pretty quickly. The 4k Steelbook is up for preorder:
71RJD4dz6aL._SL1500_.jpg

At least the packaging looks cool.
 
It looks like Evil Dead Burn will hit home video pretty quickly. The 4k Steelbook is up for preorder:
71RJD4dz6aL._SL1500_.jpg

The UK exclusive SteelBook has a different image that looks way better
 
I'll say this: I can see this being a people pleaser for those who liked 2013... and those people will treat this as their Evil Dead 2.
 
So, here's a non-spoiler Easter Egg that would have been completely lost on us Americans.
French comedian/writer/actor Alain Chabat makes a voice cameo as Alice's father in Evil Dead Burn. Chabat was a member of the French comedy troupe Les Nuls (The Dummies) that had a sketch comedy show, the aptly titled Les Nuls, l'émission (The Dummies: The Show) back in the early 90s, which had fake commercial sketches not unlike what SNL does. Among these fake commercials was one for "The Foundation Against Directors Who Don't Do Shit On Their Shoot", which featured none other than Mr. Sam Raimi as himself. Truly a full-circle reference that I never would have picked up on.
 
I just got back from seeing Evil Dead Burn. I thought it was alright. I liked it better than Evil Dead (2013) but not as much as Rise. It was very light on the Evil Dead lore. Most of the main actors were competent. Grandma was the best deadite in the entire movie until the very end, including the mid-post-credits scene. I wish they did more with her. The gore was very gratuitous and violent for brutality's sake. I didn't like the multiple Kandarian dagger misdirections in the movie. So dumb. Definitely watch the credits. It was fun seeing Ellie's cameo. It didn't make sense that Beth would go back and get Ellie/marauder cremated in Rise, though. I also wished she killed the mom instead of the kid. That was too much. Overall, worth a watch at least once it arrives on digital.
 
Last edited:
I also wished she killed the mom instead of the kid. That was too much.
I thought that was pretty tame especially compared to the kid getting thrown into the ceiling fan in the diner in AvED Season One.
 
It’s been a while since I’ve posted on the forum, but I’ve always kept an eye on what’s been going on... ;)

I went to see *Evil Dead Burn* this afternoon. I’ll share my thoughts without giving too many details. I hope my post is spoiler-free enough.

You can’t say the movie isn’t entertaining—I was entertained. I liked the family theme—the grandmother was an entertaining character. There’s a love-hate dynamic among the characters, and I found that interesting. There’s still a bit of humor, but nothing like Sam Raimi’s style. The movie follows in the footsteps of Fede Alvarez’s remake and *Evil Dead Rise*—nothing more. It eventually turns into a torture fest and this one is no exception. It’s even worse in that regard. What I’ve always found most successful about Alvarez’s version is that he managed to make the story a bit more epic with the character of Mia. So, did I have a good time? The answer is yes. Will I watch it again? No, I don’t think so.

What’s missing from the remake and everything that followed is a bit of color and madness. Sam Raimi’s films were very raw for their time, but they were still very colorful. Even the blood... The only madness here always ends in torture or self-mutilation, and even though that’s part of the Evil Dead classics, there was something more to it— the hand moved on its own, even decapitated bodies kept moving, the furniture was alive. The mythology isn’t really explored that much. There’s always been a bit of magic, but it’s been sidelined in all the modern versions.

So it's a good watch but do not expect much of it.
 
I’m at the theater right now waiting for the movie to start. I was able to get a nice discount on the Fandango app. So I won’t feel too bad if this movie ends up being disappointing.
Tickets are 13.99 at my local theater for non premieres, and that isn't bad since it cost 10 to see Evil Dead 2013 and 14 for Rise... but 2 minutes after walking out of the theater
with fresh thoughts about Ellie snapping that girls neck dancing around in my head
when an ambulance and firetruck pulled up to take someone out on a stretcher.
 
Top Bottom