Evil Dead Burn | Official Thread

I think the general impression was he was such an abusive jerk that no one wanted to pay tribute to him except those who were forced to by genetics or marriage.
I would put Edgar and Will above Eric on the annoying assholes list, but for different reason(s)... and thought addressing the abuse part of the story was pretty well done.
 
Last edited:
I would put Edgar and Will above Eric on the annoying assholes list, but for different reason(s)... and thought addressing the abuse part of the story was pretty well done.
Well, now I'm intrigued!
Greta van den Brink (new Jessica) has been sharing behind the scenes pictures and videos on her Instagram. Not really spoilers but I'll hide them anyway:


These are wonderful; nice catches!
 
Movie only pulled $4 mil domestically Saturday; current cume is $13.7 million. Opening weekend will probably end up being around $16-17 mil if I had to guess domestically. Wayyy underperformed predictions.
 
It's kind of a bummer, but, I mean, one of the guys who wrote on the ED2 book with me apparently wasn't aware Burn was out, so maybe there was a gap in the advertisement somewhere. I dunno!
 
They're probably not gonna scrap Wrath at this point but I'm very curious if we'll get anything after that with these numbers.
My guess is that they'll give Wrath a limited push and/or put it on streaming and then beg Lee to do a direct sequel. Which is clearly what the studio seemed to want in the first place judging from the way they stole the edit from Sebastian to give us that end credit scene and how much Rise lore is involved in this movie.
It's kind of a bummer, but, I mean, one of the guys who wrote on the ED2 book with me apparently wasn't aware Burn was out, so maybe there was a gap in the advertisement somewhere. I dunno!
It's a big one; I still have no formal opinion of anything except the end credit scene. Warner Bros. definitely failed when it came to marketing this one, there was next to no build-up or hype for it, and they failed to pick a Deadite out of the lineup and show them off to the audience as the next big thing, the way they did with Ellie and Mia, which is why both of those characters became iconic Deadites. There was very little huckstering and selling of how horrific it's supposed to be and I don't know if that's because Bruce wasn't out there shaking hands and kissing babies for the first time but the whole affair was muted and felt studio-driven. I mean: Deadite-themed hot dogs?
 
Last edited:
This is a minor nitpick: for anyone who saw the movie, did you find it odd that they didn't use the Evil Dead Burn logo at all and instead used this lazy one for the title?

sbrWQN7.jpeg
 
This is a minor nitpick: for anyone who saw the movie, did you find it odd that they didn't use the Evil Dead Burn logo at all and instead used this lazy one for the title?

sbrWQN7.jpeg
I mean, none of the Evil Dead movies (besides 2013) use the actual logo from the marketing material.
 
Movie only pulled $4 mil domestically Saturday; current cume is $13.7 million. Opening weekend will probably end up being around $16-17 mil if I had to guess domestically. Wayyy underperformed predictions.
AOD will still hold the title of worst box office. As Bruce has famously said many times over the years "(AOD) had a budget of 13 million and it made 13 million."
 
It's kind of a bummer, but, I mean, one of the guys who wrote on the ED2 book with me apparently wasn't aware Burn was out, so maybe there was a gap in the advertisement somewhere. I dunno!
The marketing for Burn has just been strange. I mean, so much stuff was given away in trailers... there were all these social media collaborations (myself among that bunch), the buses and taxies, the billboards taking over New York, the themed food and drinks... but it's just... very corporate to me. They were throwing out a wide net and the fish were swimming through...
 
Someone on Reddit pointed this out and now I'm curious about it, too...
So what was the point of the scene where Susan tells Alice "I guess we're the same size shoe" when they're standing outside the crematorium? There's a weird emphasis on it (with the whole scene going quiet as there's a close up on her shoes) as if it was supposed to set up something... but there was no payoff. I mean five minutes later we see Alice has a red spot on the back of her ankle in the car ride to the house... but the way it was brought up in that first moment made it seem important. Someone theorized that...
It was meant to foreshadow Alice's ankle getting impaled on the steel rod in the climax
... but I don't think that was it.
 
The marketing for Burn has just been strange. I mean, so much stuff was given away in trailers... there were all these social media collaborations (myself among that bunch), the buses and taxies, the billboards taking over New York, the themed food and drinks... but it's just... very corporate to me. They were throwing out a wide net and the fish were swimming through...

This is what I keep thinking of, too. It did nothing to get to its target audience and was just bad.
 
It did nothing to get to its target audience and was just bad.
But then that makes the bigger question "who is the target audience?" Because it didn't satisfy me as a hardcore Evil Dead fan, and I sure as hell wouldn't recommend it to my friends or family (not like I would ED2 or AOD). There's gonna be people who like the brutality, but I think the word of mouth about that is getting out and killing the casual moviegoer's interest. I mean I certainly wouldn't watch this if it wasn't Evil Dead.

And back to the marketing... we didn't get a teaser until April and the full trailer until May (though Rise kinda did the same thing... trailer in January and the release in April).
 
Movie only pulled $4 mil domestically Saturday; current cume is $13.7 million. Opening weekend will probably end up being around $16-17 mil if I had to guess domestically. Wayyy underperformed predictions.
The screening I saw was about 1/3 full, but all of the others around it were full except for the 1st 2 rows... and the movie has made 13 million domestically and another 27 million internationally. Oh, and for those who are curious about the numbers Evil Dead 2013 had a 25 million dollar opening weekend and Rise did 24 million.
And back to the marketing... we didn't get a teaser until April and the full trailer until May (though Rise kinda did the same thing... trailer in January and the release in April).
Burn did what it was supposed to do and set up a bunch of lore, and what they did/didn't do with Burn in terms of a lack of info early on followed by a deluge will have to change with Wrath if they want to close the 10 million dollar gap between Rise and Burn on opening weekend and become the most successful of the new Evil Dead movies.
 
Last edited:
The screening I saw was about 1/3 full, but all of the others around it were full except for the 1st 2 rows...
I think there were 15 people total at mine.
Burn did what is was supposed to do and set up a bunch of lore
Apparently Sébastien was swapping story notes with Francis Galluppi, so it definitely seems like Burn is the "mystery box" movie that is gonna be explored by Wrath.
 
New spoiler-filled Variety interview with Sébastien. He addresses the post-credits scene:
The film has two post-credit scenes and we see a very familiar face in the last one with Ellie (Alyssa Sutherland), who viewers may be surprised to see after she was killed off in “Evil Dead Rise.”
That’s the demand production had and since they allowed me to do the movie I had in mind, they just gave me all the freedom I wanted. That’s the game — they wanted to have that one scene. I didn’t know what they wanted to do with it, I don’t know what they will do in the future, I don’t know what’s in the other movie and if she’ll be here or not.
 
Top Bottom