Ash vs Evil Dead General Discussion Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Oh well, maybe next year. *Shrug* but hey at least the show has a couple awards already.  :)
 
I think it's interesting that Power didn't get anything, since it's one of the net's more acclaimed shows.
 
CnqcxjJUEAAhWHC.jpg


Schedule via the AvED Twitter, posted by Joe in the other thread.
 
ETA, Bruce is apparently requesting fans contact Starz to demand more AvED and a season three and four renewal.  Looks like the network is on the fence RE further seasons.


This sadly isn't too surprising, since the show had huge hype and then pulled in some sadly mediocre results.    They might be waiting to see if American Gods lives up to the huge amount of hits they've gotten on their trailer.  In the end Starz might just need AvED since Black Sails is ending next season, even if only for schedule spackle.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
ETA, Bruce is apparently requesting fans contact Starz to demand more AvED and a season three and four renewal.  Looks like the network is on the fence RE further seasons.


This sadly isn't too surprising, since the show had huge hype and then pulled in some sadly mediocre results.    They might be waiting to see if American Gods lives up to the huge amount of hits they've gotten on their trailer.  In the end Starz might just need AvED since Black Sails is ending next season, even if only for schedule spackle.

Well, AvED, we hardly knew ye.
 
I guess the one positive thing to take away from this news is starz is at least trying to push it to where it needs to be for them, they really want this show to pay off i for one commened them for sticking with it because any other network would have given up on them by now. God i hope we get at least get a season 3
 
TBH if I were a Starz exec I'd cancel Blunt Talk, The Girlfriend Experience or The Missing over AVED at this point. All are doing worse than AvED right now, and the show would still be the fifth most popular thing on the network but it could be in a worse position. That'd likely change when American Gods debuts next year (I think next fall), but Black Sails' death should open up a hole. Then again they seem to be looking to fill in demos here. They might look at AG and say it draws the same demos as AvED and say 'eh'.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
Timeslot is going to be 8 PM on Sundays; the season premiere will only run five minutes over the allotted slot, with Blunt Talk's second season airing behind it.

What's with all these drug addict shows--does Starz get a take of street profits or something?

I guess their demographics are boomers in the swinger-coke lifestyle.

You would really think this would be below Patrick Stewart, but I guess he's got nothing coming in other than the X-Men stuff they're trying to phase him out of.
 
What Blunt Talk is apparently about:

The show follows British newscaster Walter Blunt who moves to Los Angeles with the intention of conquering American nightly cable news. His misguided decisions on and off the air prove that his ultimate ambitions will be difficult to achieve.

Blunt's name was taken from the minor character Sir Walter Blunt in William Shakespeare's Henry IV, Part 1, which was Stewart's first role with the Royal Shakespeare Company


I cannot vouch for it having any actual drug content.  Don't watch it, even though I'm a Patrick Stewart fan, because I'm exhausted by Seth Macfarlane's Seth Macfarlane-ness.  Patrick Stewart was just in The Green Room, which got an enormous amount of acclaim and he's doing a bunch of theater in NYC.  

I know you're angry about AvED's content, Ashenwraith, but Starz' aesthetic is...kind all over the map. They had stripper poles at their TCA presentation*, sure, but Power and Highlander, their two biggest shows, have nothing in common and nothing to do with that kind of viewer base, just like the same audience watching American Gods won't be watching The Girlfriend Experience.  

* note: I did not find this appealing or particularly professional of them.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
I know you're angry about AvED's content, Ashenwraith, but Starz' aesthetic is...kind all over the map. They had stripper poles at their TCA presentation*, sure, but Power and Highlander, their two biggest shows, have nothing in common and nothing to do with that kind of viewer base, just like the same audience watching American Gods won't be watching The Girlfriend Experience.  

* note: I did not find this appealing or particularly professional of them.

I never heard of the show until you mentioned it so I looked up the trailer on youtube and it's Patrick Stewart doing lines of coke, getting caught in bed with another guy's wife, and of course, painting some guy's giant dong.

The rest of it was just gibberish that I guess is supposed to be funny in context and have something to do with the news.
 
How dare they make such shows about drug use!!!

Now let's all get back to enjoying a show about demons getting hacked into bits with a chainsaw  ;)
 
Good news on the dvd/blu-ray sales 

According to Anchor Bay, “Ash vs. Evil Dead” sold more than 50,000 copies during the week following its Aug. 23 release on disc, which Anchor Bay claims is the best-selling disc debut of the first season of a half-hour episodic series since 2010.

For the week ended Aug. 28, the title was No. 7 on NPD VideoScan’s overall disc sales chart, and No. 6 on the Blu-ray sales chart. “Ash vs. Evil Dead” sold 64.5% of its copies in the Blu-ray format, which Anchor Bay says is the highest Blu-ray-to-DVD-ratio of any episodic TV release.

Source : http://www.homemediamagazine.com/research/anchor-bay-happy-early-ash-vs-evil-dead-disc-sales-38738
 
LMAO

It's interesting to me that it was so front-loaded, though. Show's already down to #55 a week later, and TWD has reclaimed its spot on the top of the horror list.

(Also that's super-specific, Anchor Bay. How many half-hour program sets do they sell?)
 
After nearly a year season 1 finally arrived here in Germany. So I took the chance and watch it all in one run. And now I have to admit: That way it is a much better experience than watching single episodes with a weekly break.

Except for the pilot and the three cabin episodes it was the first time I rewatched season 1. Before that I had very harsh feeling for the series. And after that my first judgement did not change completely. My favourite episodes are still my favourite episodes and my least favourite episodes are still my still least favourite episodes. The things I already found to be cringeworthy still feel cringeworhty. But now I have a better opinion regarding the over all pacing or even the little bits of character development we got. One thing that really bugged though was the lack of emotional impact (I don't know how to desribe it better). I find this most apparent in Kelly's arc. It focues on the death of her family and her wish suicidal lust for revenge. But it was not very believeable when she did not even shed a tear, when they burried her parents in the field, or to see her smiling and joking in the Delta with Ash and Pablo right in the next episode. The same could be said for the mostly ridiculous Ash-Fisher romance.

One complain I don't get concerns the use of CGI. Yeah, you recognise it and it looks cheap, but it never dragged me out of the experience. I was more annoyed by some of the lightning choices. The most cabin scene appear to be set at night, but the bright lightning gave you more the impression of an late afternoon in october. Regarding that movies did a much better job.

My opinion: I am not totally happy with it as a series, but if you would cut some the cringeworthy fat away, you might find a really cool movie.
 
IMO - a lot of the problems I have with the CGI is that it apparently isn't supposed to be an intentional reference back to the cheesy SFX of the OT but it's because of time compression stuff that no one thought anyone would notice.
 
Scheduling note: the season premiere is next week, and it's worth noting the Chiefs/Steelers match starts at 8:20, for those who were hoping to get both in.
 
Top Bottom