Ash vs Evil Dead S01E09: Bound in the Flesh Discussion [SPOILERS]

Mardeadite, I felt the same way that they went for the humor too quick. I know we're limited to 22 minutes of actual episode banter when you take into account the scenery, the credits, the up to now review. But ash should have mourned for her more then just "We could have looked amazing as a couple" or "I might have died for her."
 
Yes. Slightly off-topic, but I hope the box set provides an option to view the episodes without the "happened so far" stuff in the DVD/Blu-Ray release. It's not a problem for the episodes watched when released/broadcast like now, but I can see it being a bind if you're using the play all feature.
 
Or maybe just an extended "happened so far" reel before the cabin episodes so you can skip the appetizer and go straight to the main course?
 
Heh. Boom!

Imagine how it would be if the producers just catered to specific fans taste...

While I'm glad they returned to the cabin for 3 episodes, I think an entire series there would get old fast. I like that the Evil Dead world is expanded to elsewhere.

I also understand that the criticism of other episodes might be more to do with their quality than setting.

I disagree as I don't dislike any of them, although I favour some episodes more than others.

I do like the idea of combining the three cabin episodes into a view arc feature. Maybe without the credits etc. Essentially Evil Dead 4.
 
Here's the youtube upload of the extended trailer. 

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYfnH72a4bU[/video]
 
Mardeadite said:
Heh. Boom!

Imagine how it would be if the producers just catered to specific fans taste...

While I'm glad they returned to the cabin for 3 episodes, I think an entire series there would get old fast. I like that the Evil Dead world is expanded to elsewhere.

I also understand that the criticism of other episodes might be more to do with their quality than setting.

I disagree as I don't dislike any of them, although I favour some episodes more than others.

I do like the idea of combining the three cabin episodes into a view arc feature. Maybe without the credits etc. Essentially Evil Dead 4.

I don't know. I would have much preferred more cabin episodes over the book shop, bunker episode or the episodes at Pablo's Uncles house. I can't really complain about 3 episodes (one longer than normal) at the cabin, but I do think the season would have been much better with a little tightening. Keep episodes 1 and 2 the same. Go straight to Pablo's Uncle for maybe one condensed episode. Maybe even combine the books from beyond stuff with the demon summoning right there, combining Pablo's Uncle and the bookshop owner to one character. Ash gets his vision and we learn about burying the book "where it all started". From there they set off for the cabin. They still stop at the diner, keeping that ep largely the same. Maybe we still meet Lem and they go the bunker to stock up, but make the whole ep at night. Ash splits from the group and makes it to the cabin, giving us more cabin time and maybe even one full ep of Ash alone in the cabin. Amanda shows up at the door at the end of the ep and we're off from there for the final 3.

Anyway, despite all that I'm pleased in general with the show's direction once hitting the cabin. The finale preview looks awesome.
 
One question: Where did Good Ash get his right-cheek face scar last episode? Fisher scarred Evil Ash's last episode (how also?), but I think Good Ash got his first. Weird it's in the exact same place.
 
Mardeadite said:
While I'm glad they returned to the cabin for 3 episodes, I think an entire series there would get old fast. I like that the Evil Dead world is expanded to elsewhere.

Given the time/budget constraints they faced and logistical problems they seem to have encountered, I honestly think this season could have been much better if it was only 5 episodes long. Less moving from place to place, more focus. Really put that budget to good use. They could do more with what they had that way. Take a "less is more" approach. If you take a closer look at everything they done with it and how they did it, they really didn't have enough quality material for 10 episodes. I think the short running time for each episode combined with the season being 10 episodes long was a problem for the writers and directors when pacing the story. I felt the show was constantly either rushing or stalling most of the time. It was rushing inside the individual episodes and stalling on the overall story.

Guywiththegun40 said:
I don't know. I would have much preferred more cabin episodes over the book shop, bunker episode or the episodes at Pablo's Uncles house. I can't really complain about 3 episodes (one longer than normal) at the cabin, but I do think the season would have been much better with a little tightening. Keep episodes 1 and 2 the same. Go straight to Pablo's Uncle for maybe one condensed episode. Maybe even combine the books from beyond stuff with the demon summoning right there, combining Pablo's Uncle and the bookshop owner to one character. Ash gets his vision and we learn about burying the book "where it all started". From there they set off for the cabin. They still stop at the diner, keeping that ep largely the same. Maybe we still meet Lem and they go the bunker to stock up, but make the whole ep at night. Ash splits from the group and makes it to the cabin, giving us more cabin time and maybe even one full ep of Ash alone in the cabin. Amanda shows up at the door at the end of the ep and we're off from there for the final 3.

That could've worked.

Ash Williams Forever said:
One question: Where did Good Ash get his right-cheek face scar last episode?  Fisher scarred Evil Ash's last episode (how also?), but I think Good Ash got his first.  Weird it's in the exact same place.

We were discussing it in the thread for the last episode. I guess it was one of the circular buzzsaw blades that were thrown at him while he was in the shed talking to Linda, but I'm not sure (I didn't take the time to rewatch). The way they kept conveniently doing specific things to him and Evil Ash in order to make them look exactly the same for the "who's the real Ash?" moment on this episode was so contrived. So much work for so little pay off.

@KingRob: We're so much on the same page about our likes and dislikes it's scary. I'd mentally high five you, but since we're both pretty disappointed with the show, it would be the saddest high five ever.
 
That it would, Dyd. That it would.

And to clarify - I wasn't suggesting we spend the whole season at the cabin either. More that I think I would have preferred a 4-5 episode mini-season where we get more of what we truly want out of the show and less filler. 'Cause let's be honest - all these years we've been praying for a fourth film in the series - a measly 90 minutes of chainsaw-fueled insanity; not a multi-season show. So the suggestion was to essentially make that Evil Dead 4 like Mar said - see if the season couldn't be cut down to its absolute best bits, trimming out the fat, and getting us a nice, juicy slab of raw, bloody Evil Dead goodness.
 
DyD said:
Mardeadite said:
While I'm glad they returned to the cabin for 3 episodes, I think an entire series there would get old fast. I like that the Evil Dead world is expanded to elsewhere.

Given the time/budget constraints they faced and logistical problems they seem to have encountered, I honestly think this season could have been much better if it was only 5 episodes long. Less moving from place to place, more focus. Really put that budget to good use. They could do more with what they had that way. Take a "less is more" approach. If you take a closer look at everything they done with it and how they did it, they really didn't have enough quality material for 10 episodes. I think the short running time for each episode combined with the season being 10 episodes long was a problem for the writers and directors when pacing the story. I felt the show was constantly either rushing or stalling most of the time. It was rushing inside the individual episodes and stalling on the overall story.

Guywiththegun40 said:
I don't know. I would have much preferred more cabin episodes over the book shop, bunker episode or the episodes at Pablo's Uncles house. I can't really complain about 3 episodes (one longer than normal) at the cabin, but I do think the season would have been much better with a little tightening. Keep episodes 1 and 2 the same. Go straight to Pablo's Uncle for maybe one condensed episode. Maybe even combine the books from beyond stuff with the demon summoning right there, combining Pablo's Uncle and the bookshop owner to one character. Ash gets his vision and we learn about burying the book "where it all started". From there they set off for the cabin. They still stop at the diner, keeping that ep largely the same. Maybe we still meet Lem and they go the bunker to stock up, but make the whole ep at night. Ash splits from the group and makes it to the cabin, giving us more cabin time and maybe even one full ep of Ash alone in the cabin. Amanda shows up at the door at the end of the ep and we're off from there for the final 3.

That could've worked.

Personally I think they should have made one big movie (3hours) and release it exclusively on Starz. Then release it with a cool package straight to DVD.   The Sharknado formula could be the best for Evil Dead.  I'm sure they will sell a lot more DVD's than new subscription to Starz, because most fans of the franchise are collectors.  

With a 3 hours movie you can cut the crap, invest more money to get better fx and get a more consistent story and product at the end.  Just divide the story in 3 chapters such Four Room or Pulp fiction movies, so you could work on the project with more than one director.  This is just my thought.

Anyway, I'm sure that a crazy fanboy will work on a movie cut of the series.  ;)
 
KingRob said:
And to clarify - I wasn't suggesting we spend the whole season at the cabin either. More that I think I would have preferred a 4-5 episode mini-season where we get more of what we truly want out of the show and less filler. 'Cause let's be honest - all these years we've been praying for a fourth film in the series - a measly 90 minutes of chainsaw-fueled insanity; not a multi-season show. So the suggestion was to essentially make that Evil Dead 4 like Mar said - see if the season couldn't be cut down to its absolute best bits, trimming out the fat, and getting us a nice, juicy slab of raw, bloody Evil Dead goodness.

Sutter Cane said:
Personally I think they should have made one big movie (3hours) and release it exclusively on Starz. Then release it with a cool package straight to DVD.   The Sharknado formula could be the best for Evil Dead.  I'm sure they will sell a lot more DVD's than new subscription to Starz, because most fans of the franchise are collectors.  

With a 3 hours movie you can cut the crap, invest more money to get better fx and get a more consistent story and product at the end.  Just divide the story in 3 chapters such Four Room or Pulp fiction movies, so you could work on the project with more than one director.  This is just my thought.

I agree with both of you.
 
I finally got a chance to sit down to watch episode number 9 (number 9, number 9) and really enjoyed it especially Amanda's puppet show with the campers. The only problem I had was with Ruby flying into action like Superman, and even the Necronomicon made a Superman reference so my guess is the writer is either a big fan of Sup, but I thought both were out of place in the Evil Dead world. None the less, we now get to see what kind of action Rick Jacobson can bring to the show as he was a director of quite a few episodes of Xena which were mostly good... but Back in the Bottle was a pretty big miss.
 
Someone here, I can't find it now, had a theory about Ruby. I took the liberty of expanding this theory a bit and making it solid for the entire plot. This is what I came up with. And I'd like to hear your thoughts.

  • 30 years ago, Ruby arrives to the cabin and finds her dead Deadite mother and Annie, still with the Kandarian dagger (held by Ash's hand) in her back. She collects the dagger and the hand, but she can't find the Necronomicon (because Ash has it, FOR SOME REASON).
  • In the following years, Ruby studies the ancient forces of Evil and she is finally able to contact one of the Dark Ones. The Dark One wants the Necronomicon, but the Evil can't yet enter our World (not until the first episode where Ash summons it by accident), so the Dark One makes a deal with Ruby.
  • He tells her that Ash killed her family and stole the Necronomicon, and that if she finds Ash and gives the Necronomicon to him, he will bring the Knowby family back to life (or at least Ruby's father, who's maybe not yet dead, but rather still imprisoned between two worlds, as was stated in Evil Dead II).
  • Ruby agrees, but she knows that she can't trust the Dark One and therefore she secretly want's the Necronomicon for herself, so that she could use its power to save her family on her own.
  • After Ash summons the Evil and Ruby starts killing off Deadites (Kelly's dad, Lionel), the Dark One realises that Ruby has no intention of honouring their agreement. So when Ruby meets Brujo, he "Drags her to Hell", where the Dark One possess Ruby's body, so that he could get the Book himself. The only question that remains is whether Ruby is now dead/in hell, or she is still there somewhere and can fight the Dark One.
The only thing that doesn't make sense is why it took Ruby so long to find Ash. As someone stated before, he never left Michigan and was just going from one Value Stop to another and Ruby was actually able to find him only after the hand woke up. But I don't think the show will explain this. It's just one of the plot holes I think we all can live with.
 
That's Joe's theory and the last part was me, Hurley.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
That's Joe's theory and the last part was me, Hurley.

Then I apologize for the confusion. I know I read some of it around here somewhere and I thought of some of it myself, but it makes sense that more of us came to the same conclusion. Sorry again, I'm not trying to coin this or anything. :)
 
:D It's all good!
 
Hurley said:
Someone here, I can't find it now, had a theory about Ruby. I took the liberty of expanding this theory a bit and making it solid for the entire plot. This is what I came up with. And I'd like to hear your thoughts.

  • 30 years ago, Ruby arrives to the cabin and finds her dead Deadite mother and Annie, still with the Kandarian dagger (held by Ash's hand) in her back. She collects the dagger and the hand, but she can't find the Necronomicon (because Ash has it, FOR SOME REASON).
  • In the following years, Ruby studies the ancient forces of Evil and she is finally able to contact one of the Dark Ones. The Dark One wants the Necronomicon, but the Evil can't yet enter our World (not until the first episode where Ash summons it by accident), so the Dark One makes a deal with Ruby.
  • He tells her that Ash killed her family and stole the Necronomicon, and that if she finds Ash and gives the Necronomicon to him, he will bring the Knowby family back to life (or at least Ruby's father, who's maybe not yet dead, but rather still imprisoned between two worlds, as was stated in Evil Dead II).
  • Ruby agrees, but she knows that she can't trust the Dark One and therefore she secretly want's the Necronomicon for herself, so that she could use its power to save her family on her own.
  • After Ash summons the Evil and Ruby starts killing off Deadites (Kelly's dad, Lionel), the Dark One realises that Ruby has no intention of honouring their agreement. So when Ruby meets Brujo, he "Drags her to Hell", where the Dark One possess Ruby's body, so that he could get the Book himself. The only question that remains is whether Ruby is now dead/in hell, or she is still there somewhere and can fight the Dark One.
The only thing that doesn't make sense is why it took Ruby so long to find Ash. As someone stated before, he never left Michigan and was just going from one Value Stop to another and Ruby was actually able to find him only after the hand woke up. But I don't think the show will explain this. It's just one of the plot holes I think we all can live with.

Sounds like something I posted in this thread a few weeks ago.
 
Hurley said:
Someone here, I can't find it now, had a theory about Ruby. I took the liberty of expanding this theory a bit and making it solid for the entire plot. This is what I came up with. And I'd like to hear your thoughts.

  • 30 years ago, Ruby arrives to the cabin and finds her dead Deadite mother and Annie, still with the Kandarian dagger (held by Ash's hand) in her back. She collects the dagger and the hand, but she can't find the Necronomicon (because Ash has it, FOR SOME REASON).
  • In the following years, Ruby studies the ancient forces of Evil and she is finally able to contact one of the Dark Ones. The Dark One wants the Necronomicon, but the Evil can't yet enter our World (not until the first episode where Ash summons it by accident), so the Dark One makes a deal with Ruby.
  • He tells her that Ash killed her family and stole the Necronomicon, and that if she finds Ash and gives the Necronomicon to him, he will bring the Knowby family back to life (or at least Ruby's father, who's maybe not yet dead, but rather still imprisoned between two worlds, as was stated in Evil Dead II).
  • Ruby agrees, but she knows that she can't trust the Dark One and therefore she secretly want's the Necronomicon for herself, so that she could use its power to save her family on her own.
  • After Ash summons the Evil and Ruby starts killing off Deadites (Kelly's dad, Lionel), the Dark One realises that Ruby has no intention of honouring their agreement. So when Ruby meets Brujo, he "Drags her to Hell", where the Dark One possess Ruby's body, so that he could get the Book himself. The only question that remains is whether Ruby is now dead/in hell, or she is still there somewhere and can fight the Dark One.
The only thing that doesn't make sense is why it took Ruby so long to find Ash. As someone stated before, he never left Michigan and was just going from one Value Stop to another and Ruby was actually able to find him only after the hand woke up. But I don't think the show will explain this. It's just one of the plot holes I think we all can live with.

Perhaps Ash reading the Necronomicon, shown in the flashback in the pilot, awakened the hand too, allowing Ruby to finally find him?
 
Ash Williams Forever said:
Perhaps Ash reading the Necronomicon, shown in the flashback in the pilot, awakened the hand too, allowing Ruby to finally find him?

Yes. I think there's no doubt about that one. :)
 
Top Bottom