[CLOSED] Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

It's actually still up, which is interesting because Starz always sweeps in with C&Ds.  Maybe they learned from the bts leak that that was a bad idea.

Positives:

* The dialogue worked well, felt pretty Ash-like.

* The cinematography 

* In the bar scene Bruce actually sounded like Ash.  I was worried about his tone/inflection from the previews but it sounded right.

Negatives

* That Hi-C drinking flail-dance.  I get WHY Sam put it in, but no.  That is Sam indulging his worst instincts and Bruce at his most difficult to watch.

* The weird juxtaposition between his attempted suaveness and extreme goofiness.  I felt like they were both trying too hard to make him cool and trying too hard to make him uncool, if that makes sense.

* The sex scene.  I don't know how something can be grimy and extremely conservative at the same time, but there you have it.  Everything felt off to me - the actress' performance, the fact that Ash's fly was clearly tacked closed as he backed away from the sink (I know Bruce is conservative about sex scenes and even though they swear they don't they have some standards and practice guidelines to follow - I don't expect to see shlong -  but the fly should've clearly been undone/some boxer shorts or whatever should've been visible peeking through the fly to actually successfully maintain the illusion that penetration was going on), the fact that the position they were in and the is the least likely position ever to induce orgasm ever, etc. The end result was it looking like he was dry-humping her butt and I have been bad-laughing about it ever since.)

Noticed Things:

* Ash orders a Moscow Mule, which Bruce has described as vile at east once at a Q&A.  someone improvised something.

* Ash uses Magnum condoms.  Speculate all you want about whether or not he's self-aggrandizing.  And why he needed two.

* The double-axe motif of the bar.  "It's a trick, get an axe!"  Also possibly a Sam Axe callback. 

For anyone wondering what I laughed at:

"THEY'RE COMING FOR YOU!" 
Bruce power-sliding the Classic.  Because he said it was coming but I didn't expect it so soon.

I'm getting a lot of mixed reviews from friends: a few people liked it, a few people loathed it, and a lot of people were confused as to why they chose to show this part of the show over any other part (I'm agreeing with speculation that it's literally the first four minutes of the episode).
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

I didn't look closely at Ash's joy department, so I did not notice his zip but I see what you mean about the sex scene being grimy and conservative at the same time. The movements were quite explicit... yet it was surprisingly unraunchy. It reminds me of American football players jumping against each other chest bumping and shouting "BOOYAKA" before a game.

I actually found the love scene between Ash and Sheelagh in Army of Darkness more erotic, despite being less explicit.

I don't intend that as a criticism though. These films were always more to do with the warped comedy and horror rather than the raunch (a couple of bare boobie shots in the first film besides) and that scene did bring a bit of that.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

About the sex scene.  This scene was just comedy.  There's no need to be realistic or erotic.  They were overacting on purpose. "You like that! you like my wood!" I just laughed. 
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

@Mardeadite

:D  I will never be able to unpicture it that way now.  

Yeah - Sam's gone on record that he thinks that love scene is way too serious for the franchise but it does a lovely job establishing connection and mood.  My two cents.  

And I can see what they were trying to do but..IDK something felt off?  It felt like the wrong kind of cringe humor to me?  All of the funny parts of AOD and ED2 resulted from Ash's bravado backfiring in is face and his attempt at maintaining dignity.

@Sutter_Cain:

Oh, I know it's supposed to be funny, but humor's subjective.  The joke just didn't succeed for me  for the reasons I pointed out.  My reactions were along the lines of "what am I watching?" and "That's not how any of this works", which is kinda deathly for comedy.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

MaidOfKandar said:
@Mardeadite

:D  I will never be able to unpicture it that way now.  

Yeah - Sam's gone on record that he thinks that love scene is way too serious for the franchise but it does a lovely job establishing connection and mood.  My two cents.  

And I can see what they were trying to do but..IDK something felt off?  It felt like the wrong kind of cringe humor to me?  All of the funny parts of AOD and ED2 resulted from Ash's bravado backfiring in is face and his attempt at maintaining dignity.

@Sutter_Cain:

Oh, I know it's supposed to be funny, but humor's subjective.  The joke just didn't succeed for me  for the reasons I pointed out.  My reactions were along the lines of "what am I watching?" and "That's not how any of this works", which is kinda deathly for comedy.

Ash got laid ... :cool:
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Or dry-humped a woman's thigh, either-or  ;)  
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

ETA: be super, super careful folks, people are already trying to spam virus-loaded links with what they insist is the first episode around Tumblr and Facebook. As far as I know the episode hasn't leaked anywhere.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

How long will the content of the sneak peek be considered as a spoiler, if it's on YouTube for almost two days? And how will we be dealing with spoilers from the episodes? Will there be a special thread for each episode, or will the content of each episode be considered not-spoilery after certain amount of time passes after the premiere?

Just curious how this forum is going to work when the show hits, so I wouldn't spoil anything for anyone. :)
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Spoilers will stay spoilers until the episode airs all over, I think that's the general policy.

Episode spoilers will be handled like this: we're going to do a thread apiece for each episode; they'll be posted on Thursday so people can chat about any episode specific spoilers/trailers/screengrabs without getting spoiled for the rest and any New Zelanders who get the episodes early will be able to talk about them on Fridays in USain time. Every episode thread will be a choose-to-warm experience, because if you're, say, in a thread about episode seven you're going to hear spoilers for four and three, so it'll be advised that everyone be caught up on previous episodes before plunging into newer threads. We might institute a policy that if you want to talk about future spoilers (say for episode five in an ep 3 thread), they should be tagged.

This thread'll be used for general series news after the premiere (perhaps for ratings and DVD news?) and when season 2 (presumably? Inevitably?) starts filming it can be used in a similar manner for article/trailer/filming spoilers, and will generally be handled the way it is now.

I personally think spoilers aren't spoilers after an episode's a week old, but I know everyone will be watching at a different pace.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

MaidOfKandar said:
Spoilers will stay spoilers until the episode airs all over, I think that's the general policy.  

Episode spoilers will be handled like this: we're going to do a thread apiece for each episode; they'll be posted on Thursday so people can chat about any episode specific spoilers/trailers/screengrabs without getting spoiled for the rest.  Every episode thread will be a choose-to-warm experience, because if you're, say, in a thread about episode seven you're going to hear spoilers for four and three, so it'll be advised that everyone be caught up on previous episodes before plunging into newer threads.  We might institute a policy that if you want to talk about future spoilers (say for episode five in an ep 3 thread), they should be tagged.

This thread'll be used for general series news after the premiere (perhaps for ratings and DVD news?) and when season 2 (presumably?  Inevitably?) starts filming it can be used in a similar manner for article/trailer/filming spoilers, and will generally be handled the way it is now.  

I personally think spoilers aren't spoilers after an episode's a week old, but I know everyone will be watching at a different pace.

Seems fair. :)
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

:D  I think I'm gonna be handling duties compiling them every week, unless Kain beats me to it.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

"If one was simply a fan of Campbell’s work on Burn Notice, for example, they’ll find much to enjoy about Ash vs. Evil Dead because the now aged version of the famed character plays much like the aforementioned show’s Sam Axe without the beach-side bar hangout. "

Ehhhh nope.  Sam is not Ash, Sam should not be Ash and vicey-versy (Sam, for one, had a huge moral code he abided by that Ash pointedly lacks until he gets kicked into gear, and he laid down his life for his friends on multiple occasions; he's also super skilled and competent.  Hell, Bruce pointedly said that Ash/= Sam in the press for this.  "He's not a navy SEAL").  

That 24 comparison leaves me worried about a cohesive tone are resurfacing.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

MaidOfKandar said:
:D  I think I'm gonna be handling duties compiling them every week, unless Kain beats me to it.

We don't have a 'click like' function on this site but if we did .... hell, you don't need any encouraging anyway ..
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

So wait...where gonna have a thread for each episode to discuss spoilers? Does the title of this thread already address that it's filled with spoilers? Why not just keep it contained here and use the spoiler tags for parts of discussion that are truly spoilery?

I mean in one hand I get making threads dedicated to each ep but in the other hand that seems like it'd be cluttering the forums.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

chainsaw_master said:
So wait...where gonna have a thread for each episode to discuss spoilers? Does the title of this thread already address that it's filled with spoilers? Why not just keep it contained here and use the spoiler tags for parts of discussion that are truly spoilery?

I mean in one hand I get making threads dedicated to each ep but in the other hand that seems like it'd be cluttering the forums.

Gonna have to agree with chainsaw on this, it would get to cluttered and really confusing keeping track of each episode discussion in the main part of the evil dead section of this fourm, but how about setting up a sub section for just this show and have this thread sticky'd at the top of the list and sticky the most recent episode thread at the top as well, if that could be possible to do that would be more organized and it be much easier to locate and moderate, just my two cents *shrug*
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

I think having a place place for discussing each episode as they come out is a good thing because it keeps it from just being a free for all with people discussing each one in one place which would be tough to follow. It would do the opposite by keeping things uncluttered. Plus people could ignore the show threads if they don't get to watch the show right away, or at all... but still want to be a part of Deadites.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

My thing is the very title of this thread is "Evil Dead television series spoiler thread"
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

chainsaw_master said:
So wait...where gonna have a thread for each episode to discuss spoilers? Does the title of this thread already address that it's filled with spoilers? Why not just keep it contained here and use the spoiler tags for parts of discussion that are truly spoilery?

I mean in one hand I get making threads dedicated to each ep but in the other hand that seems like it'd be cluttering the forums.


No, we're going to create a thread per episode.  I was explaining how past episode spoilers are going to be handled and work within those threads (and how future episode spoilers will be handled within those same threads).  In other words: There will only be ten threads! 

ETA: @Joe - We discussed creating a subsection specifically for episode discussion before, but Kain picked the individual thread idea.

More Press: Bruce discussing what it was like making the show without general use of AOD and 
How Eli got his name.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lIImIAqf90[/video]
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

ETA, here's Bruce being Fairly confident  that season 2 will happen.  Which I am confident of too, it's season 3 I worry about.

I'm standing by my 5 mil debut dwindling down to a regular 2 mil audience estimate by the end of the season, just judging from the Facebook notes and shares combined with what's on Shipley's upload for the preview.  A hit, but not an enormous hit (and doing better than Scream Queens :p).

Oh, and RE episode discussion threads: new ones will be stickied to the top of the board every week for about a week, so everyone will be able to easily find it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom