[CLOSED] Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

@Sutter_Cane

The reviews have been so overwhelmingly positive that I almost feel like the show's being seen through a fuzzy nostalgia lens. It can't be THIS flawless, TBH.   And the Lucy spoiler doesn't feel like the right kind of Evil Dead horror?  IDK, IDK.  The fact that it made Lucy uncomfortable is what's pinging things for me.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Has Evil Dead ever been perfect? 

Well, I consider Evil Dead 2 almost perfect  :D


I think fans will be in for a treat.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Nah

Except for Evil Dead 2 and AOD, which is a controversial opinion ;) 

Dragging things back on topic: The LA Times' Complex section interviewed Roger Murray, the show's prosthetic and prop master.  Thank you to Elise for the link!
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Kain said:
Has Evil Dead ever been perfect? 

Well, I consider Evil Dead 2 almost perfect  :D


I think fans will be in for a treat.

Amen


MaidOfKandar said:
Nah

Except for Evil Dead 2 and AOD, which is a controversial opinion ;) 

Dragging things back on topic: The LA Times' Complex section interviewed Roger Murray, the show's prosthetic and prop master.  Thank you to Elise for the link!

AoD? Engh....
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

MaidOfKandar said:
@Sutter_Cane

The reviews have been so overwhelmingly positive that I almost feel like the show's being seen through a fuzzy nostalgia lens. It can't be THIS flawless, TBH.   And the Lucy spoiler doesn't feel like the right kind of Evil Dead horror?  IDK, IDK.  The fact that it made Lucy uncomfortable is what's pinging things for me.

Of course this scene would made any sane person uncomfortable. I'm sure it will be also weird to watch.  Doe it feel right for an Evil Dead movie?  I must say yes.  Because Evil can do anything without boundaries.  I mean, They can possess a hand, a deer a lamp, morph into crazy creatures, tricks with people minds and emotion...In this case, I guess this is will really happen.  They will play with Ruby's mind & emotion in a hard way.  I just think they wanted to bring back a bit of hardcore stuff from the first Evil Dead movie 
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

I cannot for the life of me remember what the UK carrier is supposed to be, but if you use Hola unblocker you should be able to see it on Starz a bit after the premiere.  Does anyone have deets on how Starz stuff gets distributed officially in the UK digitally?
Thanks.
I've been looking into Hola today (turns out I had it on my phone already!) but then I came across this site.
I wonder how true this is, and if the problem has been countered now?
I'm sure I'll get to see it eventually anyway.
------
I would count Evil Dead 2 as almost perfect if taken as a sequel. Taken as a stand alone film, I thought they got into the mad stuff a bit too quickly, and Ash and Linda at the start were kinda cheesy although I didn't mind that too much. It had a comedic appeal. ( He did come across rather cocky and full of himself in that scene. Not far off of the Ash we see in AoD to my reasoning.) But I was unsure of how it would be... but then the madness and horror started and then it just clicked with me.
If the series captures more of the same, tonally speaking (we want to see new things too of course), I think I'll be happy.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

chainsaw_master said:
Kain said:
Has Evil Dead ever been perfect? 

Well, I consider Evil Dead 2 almost perfect  :D


I think fans will be in for a treat.

Amen


MaidOfKandar said:
Nah

Except for Evil Dead 2 and AOD, which is a controversial opinion ;) 

Dragging things back on topic: The LA Times' Complex section interviewed Roger Murray, the show's prosthetic and prop master.  Thank you to Elise for the link!

AoD? Engh....



tumblr_mavxdy7rb41rnx95do1_500.gif


Sutter Cane said:
MaidOfKandar said:
@Sutter_Cane

The reviews have been so overwhelmingly positive that I almost feel like the show's being seen through a fuzzy nostalgia lens. It can't be THIS flawless, TBH.   And the Lucy spoiler doesn't feel like the right kind of Evil Dead horror?  IDK, IDK.  The fact that it made Lucy uncomfortable is what's pinging things for me.

Of course this scene would made any sane person uncomfortable. I'm sure it will be also weird to watch.  Doe it feel right for an Evil Dead movie?  I must say yes.  Because Evil can do anything without boundaries.  I mean, They can possess a hand, a deer a lamp, morph into crazy creatures, tricks with people minds and emotion...In this case, I guess this is will really happen.  They will play with Ruby's mind & emotion in a hard way.  I just think they wanted to bring back a bit of hardcore stuff from the first Evil Dead movie 
Yeah, but there has to be a limit where you go 'this is far enough, it causes the wrong kind of discomfort."  Horror may be based on discomfort but there's a certain limit  If you push hard enough, the line will be crossed and your audience evaporates.  I know the franchise is known for envelope-pushing when it comes to violence and sexual content - to a degree.


@Mardeadite - Ahh, I hadn't heard that!  My advice is not to install it and keep looking around for an ap that'll let you watch videos in the US.  Hopefully this helps - here's a list of Starz digital distribution systems in the UK for Power, which is presumably how they'll distribute AvED as well, hopefully you have access to one!  Does anyone have further ideas?

Also Starz now has a sweepstakes  running for a trip to LA.  The prizes are more ghost-based but if you've ever wanted to do a Hollywood ghost tour it might be worth winning.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Thank you Maid. I see they deliver to Google Play the following Monday which works for me as an Android user.

Someone suggested I use Kodi as one of the add ons would likely have the episodes, and its not vpn based either.

That leads me to believe the episodes would probably be uploaded there illegally though. If I enjoyed the episodes I'd happily buy the series later, but I'd rather go the legitimate route.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Mardeadite said:
Thank you Maid. I see they deliver to Google Play the following Monday which works for me as an Android user.

Someone suggested I use Kodi as one of the add ons would likely have the episodes, and its not vpn based either.

That leads me to believe the episodes would probably be uploaded there illegally though. If I enjoyed the episodes I'd happily buy the series later, but I'd rather go the legitimate route.

Kodi use to be xbmc which is a media center some people 
made some unofficial addons for it.

btw there is no legitimate route, so you do as you will.
or wait for DVD its your life, I don't care what you do.

in a world of mass killings, rapists , drug dealers
try not to judge others for small bs.

do what you got to do.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

You know what i can't wait to see in those final episodes

when Ash and ruby finally fight each other, those scenes are gonna be quite something else once they finally face off, i'm just gonna be imagining in my head " WOW, we finally get to see xena and ash face off with one and other, even though it's not her im just gonna pretend it is." defiantly gonna feel like a freddy vs jason moment for me, (that last fight between jason and freddy was very well done especially the practical effects that were used as well )
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

@Mardeadite: The weird thing is that you have to be a Starz subscriber in the US to use Google Play/the Roku version of Starz.  It's pretty pointless, since it works exactly like the OnDemand version attached to every cable company.   I mainly recc'd Hola 'cause it's supposed to just work like a region unblocker, versus an adblocker, which means the hits and ads would still be counted.  Glad you found a solution you like!

@Joe:

And it's probably going to be taking place at the cabin, which should be fun.

News roundup!

Bruce interview with Den of Geek, nothing really new but I thought this one was particularly funny because the interviewer said he translated the bullskrit in a screenshot of the porthole spell from ED2 and it apparently reads "(name) is an asshole and should go fuck himself."  Bruce fondly blames Tom Sullivan for that.

Bruce met up with Greg Nicotero while both of them were on Dalton Ross' EW radio show.  Via Ross' Twitter:
CRiOub0WUAELG8m.jpg



And Bruce has posted a listing of foreign markets who're showing AvED on his Facebook.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

How do us UK people get to watch it Bruce? ... remember us? ... the first country to officially distribute your original film in the early 80's ? ...
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

It's interesting that he didn't include them! From what I remember there is a Starz UK so maybe there isn't that much to negotiate?
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

MaidOfKandar:


@Mardeadite: The weird thing is that you have to be a Starz subscriber in the US to use Google Play/the Roku version of Starz.  It's pretty pointless, since it works exactly like the OnDemand version attached to every cable company.


Are you saying that Starz subscribers who wish  to download later have to pay again? So pay to describe, then pay to download? Wow that blows.

I guess if youre already subscribed, you should be able to record it when it's broadcast, as long as you take note of the time. Back in the VCR days we had to do that anyway but now there are other options that give us more freedom... until it doesn't. Hee hee.

I loved the Bullskrit on those Book of the Dead special editions. (And the art. How can something be beautiful and grotesque at the same time? But it really can!)  Great fun translating. I never got round to translating everything in the Evil Dead 2 book though. Coincidentally I've been hunting around for those two books recently. I somehow misplaced them when I got my room recarpeted a few months back. Gnnn!

Just in case I appear to be going off topic: one reason I'm hoping to find them again* is so I can watch them all through, followed by the remake (bought but not yet viewed) before I catch the series. It's been a while since I did an Evil Dead marathon.

*The other main reason being, now we're in Autumn and Winter is drawing near, I have a horrible feeling they're buried in the garage.(A lot of my stuff got packed there, during the change, although I don't remember packing away those books. But someone else might have done so.)  Not a good place for damp and cold! I don't think these replicas are as hardy as the orignal book.  :D
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

@Mardeadite: Oh no, what I meant to say is that to view Starz stuff on XBox Live/etc, you usually have to prove you're already paying for the network somewhere. Either by proving you're paying for it on Cable or giving a number that proves you have a digital subscription, I believe! But you don't pay twice to subscribe, and if you're buying through ITunes or the like you don't pay twice to DL it. A DVR'd copy of the show will last either as long as it's up OnDemand (Which can last for years to months to weeks) or if you record from the broadcast will last as long as you're subscribed to the network.

I love people who translate out the bullskrit. I can't imagine how much fun Tom's had scripting it in there!

If you can't find practical copies I think Hulu has TED and ED2 up legally for free.

@Swofty. What's interesting is how many major markets aren't covering the show, with two weeks to go before it debuts. No Italy, France, Japan or UK. I could've sworn they had a network for the UK?
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Here's a pretty good review of the first two episodes with minor spoiler's about the second episode. 

Now this makes more sense if this review is correct on the how the deadites come back. 


[font='Droid Serif', Georgia, serif]it’s one of these women who inadvertently helps cause the Deadite resurrection, telling Ash that French poetry “really turns [her] on” while they’re sitting around smoking joints one night. “It’s not French, but...” he says, and the two recite passages from the Necronomicon Ex Mortis in a stoned haze.[/font]



[font='Droid Serif', Georgia, serif]the one thing i have to disagree with in this review is this part [/font]


[font='Droid Serif', Georgia, serif]The non-Ash part of[/font][font='Droid Serif', Georgia, serif] Ash Vs. Evil Dead [/font][font='Droid Serif', Georgia, serif]also has yet to capture that screwball spirit by the end of the second episode, playing more like straightforward horror than Raimi’s Three Stooges-influenced horror-comedy and occasionally feeling like a concession to the idea that TV shows must have more than one concurrent storyline.[/font]

I have a feeling that the episodes are gonna change styles tone wise for each episode for this season, it's gonna be great guessing if it's gonna be a horror comedy or straight horror for that week's episode. gonna be great  :D

but most of the stuff  the person was writing was just nitpick's, so that's good to hear.


http://www.avclub.com/review/ash-vs-evil-dead-best-when-it-sticks-basics-226899?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Hurley said:
The Bloody-Disgusting.com review of the first two episodes. Another positive one, though it address the problem of other directors fitting Raimi's shoes after the pilot. But that could have been expected.

I had this nagging feeling that the other directors were gonna have some BIG shoes to fill after the first episode, I'm gonna give the other directors a shot and hope they can deliver some damn good episodes, Hopefully for season 2 we get more raimi directed episodes. I think it's gonna be something were just gonna have to get used to with this show *shrug*
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom