Someone on Reddit pointed this out and now I'm curious about it, too...
So what was the point of the scene where Susan tells Alice "I guess we're the same size shoe" when they're standing outside the crematorium? There's a weird emphasis on it (with the whole scene going quiet as there's a close up on her shoes) as if it was supposed to set up something... but there was no payoff. I mean five minutes later we see Alice has a red spot on the back of her ankle in the car ride to the house... but the way it was brought up in that first moment made it seem important. Someone theorized that...
It was meant to foreshadow Alice's ankle getting impaled on the steel rod in the climax
Wait. Didn't Susan lend her high heel shoes or something? So that she looks more apropriate for the funeral? I thought she was switching shoes in the same scene she talks to the grandma but the grandma doesn't remember her.
Apparently Sébastien was swapping story notes with Francis Galluppi, so it definitely seems like Burn is the "mystery box" movie that is gonna be explored by Wrath.
But then that makes the bigger question "who is the target audience?" Because it didn't satisfy me as a hardcore Evil Dead fan, and I sure as hell wouldn't recommend it to my friends or family (not like I would ED2 or AOD). There's gonna be people who like the brutality, but I think the word of mouth about that is getting out and killing the casual moviegoer's interest. I mean I certainly wouldn't watch this if it wasn't Evil Dead.
And back to the marketing... we didn't get a teaser until April and the full trailer until May (though Rise kinda did the same thing... trailer in January and the release in April).
The goal 100 percent seems to have been getting people who loved 2013 back into the theaters; those are the folks who seem to have enjoyed it the most when I talk to my friends. My boyfriend liked it but he likes intense French horror.
The screening I saw was about 1/3 full, but all of the others around it were full except for the 1st 2 rows... and the movie has made 13 million domestically and another 27 million internationally. Oh, and for those who are curious about the numbers Evil Dead 2013 had a 25 million dollar opening weekend and Rise did 24 million.
Burn did what it was supposed to do and set up a bunch of lore, and what they did/didn't do with Burn in terms of a lack of info early on followed by a deluge will have to change with Wrath if they want to close the 10 million dollar gap between Rise and Burn on opening weekend and become the most successful of the new Evil Dead movies.
That's indeed the problem with this; if nobody's there to see the lore, it's gonna be lost on people. I'm guessing this is why they hedged their bets - I wouldn't be shocked if Beth, her baby and Kassie end up getting another go-round out of this.
Also I am kinda surprised how much do people like the lore in this. I mean you could definitely do a movie about the Kandarian Dagger and "the Circle of Wisemen" if it was tonally closer to like Evil Dead II or Army of Darkness, but in this brutal and bleak family drama about abuse it just felt unintentionally silly and extremely out of place.
Sunday Box Office was $3 Mil; total opening weekend take is $16.7 mil domestically, including Thursday previews. Movie will probably end up turning a modest profit over its run or at least making its budget back but they were hoping for $24 mil or more, so this will probably go down as a BO disappointment.
Movie will probably end up turning a modest profit over its run or at least making its budget back but they were hoping for $24 mil or more, so this will probably go down as a BO disappointment.
Which really sucks. Even though I'm not personally a fan of it, I still don't want it to fail because you can tell Sébastien and the cast really gave it their all.
Which really sucks. Even though I'm not personally a fan of it, I still don't want it to fail because you can tell Sébastien and the cast really gave it their all.
I haven't seen it yet but man, you can tell he was passionate about it. I felt bad for him reading that interview where he admitted he had to do a trade off RE the end credit scene to make the kind of movie he wanted.
I absolutely blame the marketing. 2013 had worse reviews and did better because of the marketing and word of mouth.
ETA: 13.3 mill worldwide on top of the domestic, which means it sits at $29 mill and change all total. It MIGHT make back its budget at this rate (Since it cost $20 mil to make, it probably needs $40 mil to break even because marketing costs) but we'll see.
They probably have better marketing departments. I'm really surprised it's releasing in Indonesia of all places. I wonder how much the movie is censored there.
I can't be "happy" that this movie, with Sam/Rob's involvement (and Bruce's limited role after walking away), is getting disappointing numbers . . But I have to admit it feels vindicating. I deeply resent being told the franchise I love needed to be re-defined for a different audience. Well, where's that audience?
I hope this makes Sam reconsider the edgelord approach and he brings back "EVIL DEAD". Take a cue from Obsession. That movie was horrifying at times and hilarious at times. That kind of vibe still works and Evil Dead did it best.
I can't be "happy" that this movie, with Sam/Rob's involvement (and Bruce's limited role after walking away), is getting disappointing numbers . . But I have to admit it feels vindicating. I deeply resent being told the franchise I love needed to be re-defined for a different audience. Well, where's that audience?
I hope this makes Sam reconsider the edgelord approach and he brings back "EVIL DEAD". Take a cue from Obsession. That movie was horrifying at times and hilarious at times. That kind of vibe still works and Evil Dead did it best.
I'm sure Sam and Rob are doing whatever it takes to keep the franchise going, including sucking up to the corporate overlords at WB and Sony by following their corporate horror formula to try to bring in casual horror fans. I'm hopeful Wrath will bring back what made Evil Dead great.
I hope this makes Sam reconsider the edgelord approach and he brings back "EVIL DEAD". Take a cue from Obsession. That movie was horrifying at times and hilarious at times. That kind of vibe still works and Evil Dead did it best.
I just came back from The Backrooms. A weird little movie that made me feel uneasy and scared in ways that Burn was never able to. That's the difference between true creativity and a selfserving yuckfest.
The obligatory fan-made ED1 poster homage. Why couldn't this be the official Cavity Colors shirt design?
Available on this guy's redbubble as a shirt, phone case, or spiral notebook!
Did we ever get an art like that with Mia? I know the main poster for 2013 is basically that, only without the hand coming from the ground, but I think that a full homage would make perfect sense with that one, mostly since Evil Mia literally comes out of the ground at the end of the movie.
Someone on Reddit pointed this out and now I'm curious about it, too...
So what was the point of the scene where Susan tells Alice "I guess we're the same size shoe" when they're standing outside the crematorium? There's a weird emphasis on it (with the whole scene going quiet as there's a close up on her shoes) as if it was supposed to set up something... but there was no payoff. I mean five minutes later we see Alice has a red spot on the back of her ankle in the car ride to the house... but the way it was brought up in that first moment made it seem important. Someone theorized that...
It was meant to foreshadow Alice's ankle getting impaled on the steel rod in the climax
The point was to show what a controlling bitch the mom was. They clearly weren't the same size based on the blister she got from wearing the shoes. The mom is just a control freak who doesn't mind hurting her family to make them fit her mold.
So I stumbled upon a Facebook post (don't judge me, it was in a group about making Evil Dead props that's actually kinda neat) where somebody had a theory that the reason why we hear Bruce's voice in Rise and see his picture in Burn is that those are actually Ash's ancestors. That Sheila had Ash's child and his lineage continued throughout history, fighting Evil and forming the Circle of Wisemen.
And I'm really tired of the fact that everything needs to be so goddamn connected. That we just can't have fun easter eggs anymore. I was really rooting for the anthology approach for the new movies and the Burn's eventual connection to Rise really bummed me out, to the point that I didn't even stay for the post credit scene since I knew what it's going to be.
Speaking of connections, I find it quite odd that people on the Internet, especially on Reddit, are saying that Evil Dead (2013) is the first movie in the modern trilogy. The hot takes on the evildead subreddit are wild.