Evil Dead Wrath | Official Thread

I wonder if that's why they bumped the release date back one year, so then it the same amount of time has passed in the real world.
Bruce said they had plans for a new movie every two years, and this puts it more in line with his comment.... but more importantly it gives everyone a chance to breath in between movies.
 
Christ .. they're banging these films out quickly?. Evil Dead's turning into McDonalds.

I hope they don't skimp on the quality.

This reminds me a bit of when Back To The Future 2 and 3 were shot back to back. Perhaps it's just more cost effective?.
 
Last edited:
Christ .. they're banging these films out quickly?. Evil Dead's turning into McDonalds.

I hope they don't skimp on the quality.

This reminds me a bit of when Back To The Future 2 and 3 were shot back to back. Perhaps it's just more cost effective?.

The good thing about it is that they'll have a rare very long time for post-production, almost two full years... I really hope they make use of that time to polish it as much as they can and really make it the best it can be.
 
It's interesting that, per Rob,
this one is going to be a flat-out tribute to '70s horror films, including having "typical teen hijinx" and nudity. Something different in the franchise, anyway.
 
It's interesting that, per Rob,
this one is going to be a flat-out tribute to '70s horror films, including having "typical teen hijinx" and nudity. Something different in the franchise, anyway.
Hope it won't just turn Evil Dead into Friday the 13th. Kinda reminds me how they decided that AvED should also be an obnoxious boner comedy for some reason.
 
Here's more info from that interview with Rob.


“Evil Dead Wrath. This is yet another great departure. It predates everything. It takes place in 1972,” Tapert said.

Tapert also teased that the film is being designed to look and feel like something from that era.

“It will feel like a 1972 movie because the director and his DP want to imitate the film’s look and feel of something that’s called Ektachrome 100, which was a film stock. Still available, but a film stock. A lot of movies [were] shot on that then. And so it’s very warm, very tungsten.”

Tapert directly contrasted Galluppi’s approach with Vaniček’s Burn, describing two totally different filmmakers operating inside the same universe.

“So, but once again, now, two entirely different filmmakers, one that shoots everything on a 110-millimeter lens handheld, always moving, always shaking, and the other one is very Tarantino-esque, very deliberate. He made a movie, not a horror movie, that I liked a great deal called Last Stop in Yuma County. It’s worth looking up.”

The other surprise is that Wrath may be bringing a coming-of-age angle into the franchise.

“That one, unlike Burn, has a lot of coming-of-age sexual hijinks in it, which people at the universe is not really known for, but this one does. And it goes there, I think.”
 
So similarly to Sébastien Vaniček's Infested, I recently watched Francis Galluppi's The Last Stop in Yuma County to kind of see what to expect from his Evil Dead Wrath.

But while Infested is a horror movie, which makes the comparison a little easier, The Last Stop in Yuma County is not as simple. It's basically a retro-style thriller in the vein of Quentin Tarantino or the Coen brothers. And in that regard, it's very well made and innovative. It even has this retro sensibility, not only for the 1970s when the movie takes place, but also to 1990s, when a lot of movies like this were being made (Pulp Fiction, U-Turn, and stuff like that). I also think that Galluppi is a more experienced director with a stronger vision than Vaniček, so I think maybe he got greater creative control with Wrath…?. If nothing else, I'd suspect Wrath will be at least way more colorful than Burn was, which is already a good sign to me. It's also mostly set in one location with a good sense of building tension, which is probably also something that's gonna be translated to Wrath.

Overall I enjoyed the film. The only thing that didn't sit with me right was the twist in act 3 where Galluppi's basically trying to pull A Simple Plan (which is the closest reference to Evil Dead you'll probably gonna get with this movie), but it just didn't work for me at all. Though you mileage may vary.
 
So similarly to Sébastien Vaniček's Infested, I recently watched Francis Galluppi's The Last Stop in Yuma County to kind of see what to expect from his Evil Dead Wrath.

But while Infested is a horror movie, which makes the comparison a little easier, The Last Stop in Yuma County is not as simple. It's basically a retro-style thriller in the vein of Quentin Tarantino or the Coen brothers. And in that regard, it's very well made and innovative. It even has this retro sensibility, not only for the 1970s when the movie takes place, but also to 1990s, when a lot of movies like this were being made (Pulp Fiction, U-Turn, and stuff like that). I also think that Galluppi is a more experienced director with a stronger vision than Vaniček, so I think maybe he got greater creative control with Wrath…?. If nothing else, I'd suspect Wrath will be at least way more colorful than Burn was, which is already a good sign to me. It's also mostly set in one location with a good sense of building tension, which is probably also something that's gonna be translated to Wrath.

Overall I enjoyed the film. The only thing that didn't sit with me right was the twist in act 3 where Galluppi's basically trying to pull A Simple Plan (which is the closest reference to Evil Dead you'll probably gonna get with this movie), but it just didn't work for me at all. Though you mileage may vary.

That's good to hear. I'm interested in watching both Infested and The Last Stop in Yuma County at some point soon, and I'm also happy to hear that Galuppi has a stronger vision. If we're considering Rise, Burn, and Wrath a trilogy (at least in their release proximity and titles), it has seemed to me that Wrath is meant to be the showcase of the three and do something big for audiences--I would guess a return of any of Mia, Beth, or more Ellie. And with the news that Wrath will be set in the 70s and will emulate the film stock of that time, I would imagine they wanted to save the most technically skilled director for the last movie to tell whatever story that will be, especially since they had the confidence to film it so early and have been slowly leaking details almost 2 years out.

But the more I've learned about Wrath and Galuppi's work, the more I'm intrigued and excited about it. Rise was underwhelming, if not entertaining enough, but it's my least favorite of the franchise. And it seems more and more likely that Burn got the middle child treatment from the studio as a steppingstone from Rise to Wrath, from marketing to editing and how they added the post-credits scenes. Might be blind optimism, but I really believe that Wrath has the potential to be by far the best Evil Dead movie since Army of Darkness.
 
That's good to hear. I'm interested in watching both Infested and The Last Stop in Yuma County at some point soon, and I'm also happy to hear that Galuppi has a stronger vision. If we're considering Rise, Burn, and Wrath a trilogy (at least in their release proximity and titles), it has seemed to me that Wrath is meant to be the showcase of the three and do something big for audiences--I would guess a return of any of Mia, Beth, or more Ellie. And with the news that Wrath will be set in the 70s and will emulate the film stock of that time, I would imagine they wanted to save the most technically skilled director for the last movie to tell whatever story that will be, especially since they had the confidence to film it so early and have been slowly leaking details almost 2 years out.

But the more I've learned about Wrath and Galuppi's work, the more I'm intrigued and excited about it. Rise was underwhelming, if not entertaining enough, but it's my least favorite of the franchise. And it seems more and more likely that Burn got the middle child treatment from the studio as a steppingstone from Rise to Wrath, from marketing to editing and how they added the post-credits scenes. Might be blind optimism, but I really believe that Wrath has the potential to be by far the best Evil Dead movie since Army of Darkness.
The only thing I'm worried about is that it will try to somehow connect to the original movie, since it's taking place in the 1970s. Like they'll try to explain how the Necronomicon got into the cabin or something.

I swear if we're gonna get a post credit scene with some young actor in a blue work shit and with a dork ass haircut rounding up his four friends to go on holiday with him to a remote cabin, I'm gonna barf.
 
The only thing I'm worried about is that it will try to somehow connect to the original movie, since it's taking place in the 1970s. Like they'll try to explain how the Necronomicon got into the cabin or something.

I swear if we're gonna get a post credit scene with some young actor in a blue work shit and with a dork ass haircut rounding up his four friends to go on holiday with him to a remote cabin, I'm gonna barf.

Sadly, I'm expecting just that. Maybe not that exact same scenario, but I would bet they're going to tie the universes together as much as possible. Although maybe not ending with Ash if the second half of the film is supposedly in present time.
 
Wrath Sounds alot more promising than Burn. Seems like they have alot of new and fresh idea's .
 
really? Was that confirmed?

Well, certainly don't quote me on that, since I can't remember where I read it. Might've been Tapert in one of the interviews, but I remember reading somewhere that Wrath is going to spend its first half in the 70s and then shift to present time. Fan speculation online (and again, I've been reading a ton of Evil Dead stuff the past few months) is that this could set up for a potential Mia return, and, of course, maybe Ellie. I guess just take it all with a grain of salt for now.
 
Well, certainly don't quote me on that, since I can't remember where I read it. Might've been Tapert in one of the interviews, but I remember reading somewhere that Wrath is going to spend its first half in the 70s and then shift to present time. Fan speculation online (and again, I've been reading a ton of Evil Dead stuff the past few months) is that this could set up for a potential Mia return, and, of course, maybe Ellie. I guess just take it all with a grain of salt for now.
I'd love to see a Return of Mia But only if it is done properly and makes more sense than Ellie been in any movie outside of Rise. Mia went through hell and even lost her own hand too. I was hoping that she would be the one Ash passes the torch to. I thought the " Groovy" cameo was confirmation of that but I've heard some people talk on this forum about On-set fall outs so maybe the actress didn't want it im not sure. Ellie feels like she has been pushed in our faces unnecessarily. They seem to want her to be the new face of Evil Dead or at least a powerful deadite.
WRATH sounds promising, at least they are willing to try something new and fresh while adding to the lore.
 
Ellie feels like she has been pushed in our faces unnecessarily. They seem to want her to be the new face of Evil Dead or at least a powerful deadite.
It's all marketing. I'm wondering if Warner didn't leak Ellie being in Burn themselves just to try to hype up the movie, especially because that scene wasn't in any of the preview screenings.
 
Top Bottom