Ash vs Evil Dead S03E06: Tales from the Rift Discussion [SPOILERS]

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
:confused: See, this is why i don't have any more motivation/gumption to really post any big full in-depth reviews anymore or theorize about anything in-depth anymore. It's just not fun or as you guys put it ENGAGING to discuss this show anymore when we have this type of stuff happening all the time around here and everyone is just in a bad mood or is just bracing themselves for the worst and probably groaning as loudly as they possibly can during the episode. How can i or someone else who enjoys this show find it fun or engaging to wanna actually discuss this show when the majority of the active people here who do discuss it are grumpy/pissed off because their expectations were let down or weren't met and just wanna be harsh for the sake of being harsh, it's just become a endless cycle each week with each episode. I get it's everyone's opinion and i'm not trying to knock anyone down for their opinion but think about it this way, would you wanna come and talk about something that you love and talk about the story and theorize about what might happen next only to walk into a hall full of people who are bitter/angry and grumpy all the time? No, i certainly wouldn't, it would be miserable to wanna discuss anything at all because the vast majority are pissed off or don't wanna be here at all. If it feel's like i'm attacking anyone or offending anyone here, i'm not attacking anyone, i'm just talking in general about the overall atmosphere I've gotten every time i come on here to try or want to discuss anything relating to this show anymore. the atmosphere as of late has become a "echo chamber" of negativity.

I think i'm gonna bow out of the discussion train at this point, i feel it's just not worth it anymore to discuss the show when the general atmosphere is always the same every week with every episode no matter what happens.

And one last thing, it's a real pain in the ass to see all these future spoiler rants about upcoming episodes clogging up this episode discussion and yes i see they are labeled with naming, but people are going to read it regardless of the warnings given cause it's the current conversation taking place and no one wants to feel left out. It's really a damn shame to see no one is taking into account that some members here would rather not have a whole future event spoiled for them from a new episode just because someone wants to vent their frustrations early. If you guys wanna point out future spoilers or talk about stuff you've seen early, take it to a group dm conversation and talk there about it and not out in the open for everyone to see in a previous episode discussion thread for pete sake's. We're better then this!

Sorry for all the negativity. I know I must sound like a grumpy old man on every post. (I'm not that old by the way ;) ) I did try to find positive things to say about the series. There is some good moments and I mentioned them. But I can't tell you this is a good series vs the movies I loved. The quality is not even on par with the movies. (On the technical aspect it pretty much well done in general) But I just can't put my pink glasses and tell you everything is awesome. This is why I give one last chance with this season. I 'm not going to watch season 4 if they can't convince me at the end of this season.

Yes I do have expectations, but I think Evil Dead fans deserved better than this. Did I missed something? Did I gave more depth on the movies than I should? Did Evil Dead was simply the Sharknado of the 80'? Personally I always thought it was way more than that. Am I wrong to think that way? Please someone tell me. I didn't watch Evil Dead back in the day because it was just campy and funny. But because I did believe in that line : The Ultimate experience in grueling terror.

@Joem1k I do not try to confront you or convince you. Just to share my point of view. I'm not here to judge you because you love the show. You have all the rights to like it. I'm not here to bash but to discussed as an ED fan with ED fans. It may not always sound like this in my posts, but unfortunately this is how I feel as a fan right now.

Guy

Loud Mouth Braggart
I didn't watch Evil Dead back in the day because it was just campy and funny. But because I did believe in that line : The Ultimate experience in grueling terror.

You must have hated large parts of Evil Dead 2 and all of Army of Darkness then?

Sutter Cane

Spinach Chin
You must have hated large parts of Evil Dead 2 and all of Army of Darkness then?

To answer your question, Evil Dead 2 is my favorite of all 3 movies. It's not because there's comedic elements that's mean it can't be good, or it can't be an horror movie as well. In my book, Evil Dead 2 is still more wicked and over the top than Evil Dead 1. I liked AoD for different reasons. More epic fantasy but still crazy in many ways. I must admit I was disappointed by the lack of gore and cohesion from AoD, but it is a good epic entertaining movie.

Sometime I just feel they forgot to provide : "The Ulitmate experience". This was my main point.

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
Just a little follow up on my previous statement .

Don't worry about it, I'm not disgruntled over anyone's opinion's or anyone else here in any personal way nor am i wanting any kind of change, you guys do you, don't worry about it.

i just personally haven't liked the overall tone and atmosphere the discussions have been going through as of late and i feel like were on repeat each week with each episode. it's gotten repetitive,tedious and just down right miserable to read through.

I no longer feel engaged or feel like i'm having fun anymore discussing the show. It's just become something i force myself to try and get my two cents into the crowd but i just know its going to get buried underneath the eventual wave of negativity and i end up feeling like i wasted my time.

I've come to the recent conclusion that its just not worth it anymore after 2 seasons worth of discussion about evil dead the conversation is no longer fun for me and feels more like a chore then anything else.

I still very much love the show and i'm gonna continue to watch the show but as of right now,that drive to wanna discuss anything in-depth has gone out the window at this point and i would rather just watch the rest of this season with out coming on to discuss it. i feel it's just not worth the time or effort anymore.

it was fun while it lasted :confused:

Henrietta Knowby

S-Mart Clerk
Just a little follow up on my previous statement .

I no longer feel engaged or feel like i'm having fun anymore discussing the show. Its just become something i force myself to try and get my two cents into the crowd but i just know its going to get buried underneath the eventual wave of negativity.

I agree. I just shared one opinion recently and got slammed by people who seemed like they were out to prove me wrong...it was just an opinion, not a statement of fact, for Christ sake! bunch of dicks with all the negativity. make me want to not say anything again.

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
@Henrietta Knowby

Alright i know im disgruntled but let's not be going and throwing out name calling alright that's not where i wanted to take this nor did i want it to go to this level. No point in that kind of stuff, lets try and keep it civil and calm. i don't wanna have to lay down the law.

Surtur

Loud Mouth Braggart
I have seen mostly overwhelmingly positive responses to the show elsewhere online as well as my friends that watch it with me. There are small complaints here and there but if you do a quick google search of Ash vs Evil Dead it shows an 8.5/10 on imdb, 4.8/5 on facebook, and a 99(!!!) on rottentomatoes.

DyD

Spinach Chin
if you do a quick google search of Ash vs Evil Dead it shows an 8.5/10 on imdb, 4.8/5 on facebook, and a 99(!!!) on rottentomatoes.

As it's been brought up many times before, that score is based mostly on the first couple of episodes from each season. Copies are usually sent to critics. Even Kain gets them. Most of the reviews are not for the show as a whole. What they're analyzing is the promise of the show, not its development. Aggregated ratings for TV shows are very different from movie ratings and very difficult to measure, precisely because most of it comes from only the premiere episodes and even though audience opinions on a show may change over time, the ratings usually don't (most people aren't going to readjust their ratings with each new episode or season). Even Starz very own Blunt Talk, that performed abysmally and was canceled after only one season, still managed to muster a 53% critics score and an 88% audience score. Also, niche TV shows such as Ash vs. Evil Dead usually have a far smaller sampling of reviews, which leads to broader results pending to either one of the two extremes. Season 2, specifically, currently has a 100% certified fresh score, but that's based on only 16 reviews and most of them aren't from certified top critics. IMDb and social media scores are actually even less reliable than Rotten Tomatoes. Most people rating it aren't even watching it on a weekly basis and some people will give it a high rating just because they love the franchise as a whole.

I certainly believe you that there are other places on the web that are not as negative as this forum and that the show may have a considerably large fanbase that loves it unconditionally, but using those numbers as some kind of proof the show's an unmitigated, undeniable success in every aspect is a very flimsy argument. The only thing those numbers prove is that a lot of people were really hyped for it when it started.

Last edited:

MaidOfKandar

I May Be Bad But I Feel...Good....
Staff member
I don‘t have much to add. I just think it would be quite pointless if we all were on the same page. As long everyone is polite and nice I do not have problems with any opinion.

This is generally how I feel, though I definitely want people who like the show to feel comfortable having their say. A negative opinion doesn't negate a positive opinion, a positive a negative. Everyone's feelings about the show are valid if they're stated in a polite manner. I think things are sometimes more serious and analytical here because we really DO care that much about the show and the franchise, which is why we're passionate people. We just need to have a happy balance of the positive and the negative.

Adding onto the "why is AvED such a huge critical hit?" pile, I will say that the only RT-certified critical website that does reviews of the show on a weekly basis anymore is the AV Club. It's literally them, one person who does a web series and Den of Geek since Obscurus Lupa and Phelous and Buzzfeed stopped doing web series and podcasts about it in season 2.

@Henrietta Knowby - There's no need to go the personal insult route, man. Everything's cool.

Last edited:

Surtur

Loud Mouth Braggart
As it's been brought up many times before, that score is based mostly on the first couple of episodes from each season. Copies are usually sent to critics. Even Kain gets them. Most of the reviews are not for the show as a whole. What they're analyzing is the promise of the show, not its development. Aggregated ratings for TV shows are very different from movie ratings and very difficult to measure, precisely because most of it comes from only the premiere episodes and even though audience opinions on a show may change over time, the ratings usually don't (most people aren't going to readjust their ratings with each new episode or season). Even Starz very own Blunt Talk, that performed abysmally and was canceled after only one season, still managed to muster a 53% critics score and an 88% audience score. Also, niche TV shows such as Ash vs. Evil Dead usually have a far smaller sampling of reviews, which leads to broader results pending to either one of the two extremes. Season 2, specifically, currently has a 100% certified fresh score, but that's based on only 16 reviews and most of them aren't from certified top critics. IMDb and social media scores are actually even less reliable than Rotten Tomatoes. Most people rating it aren't even watching it on a weekly basis and some people will give it a high rating just because they love the franchise as a whole.

I certainly believe you that there are other places on the web that are not as negative as this forum and that the show may have a considerably large fanbase that loves it unconditionally, but using those numbers as some kind of proof the show's an unmitigated, undeniable success in every aspect is a very flimsy argument. The only thing those numbers prove is that a lot of people were really hyped for it when it started.

It’s not an argument at all, it’s anecdotal and frankly quite arbitrary. Like I said, if one were to do a quick google search, that’s what it SHOWS. It doesn’t matter all the specifics you went to, what matters is someone who googled the show to see what it’s about is going to say “wow this show must be good, I need to check it out.” All that really matters with the show now is that it is almost certainly getting cancelled. Your negativity doesn’t bother me, I like the show and you don’t, your write ups on a forum aren’t responsible for it getting cancelled so there’s room for both sides. I actually kept reading here because of the negativity since like I said it’s all positive all over, seemingly. I guess I just thought this show was every Evil Dead fan’s dream come true, and I stayed here to read more into it.

DyD

Spinach Chin
Your negativity doesn’t bother me, I like the show and you don’t, your write ups on a forum aren’t responsible for it getting cancelled so there’s room for both sides.

I'm glad to know it doesn't bother you, since quite frankly, I'm done apologizing for my criticism. I'm just gonna go on watching, sincerely praising what I like and thoughtfully criticizing what I don't, like I've been doing since the show started. Nobody here is "being harsh for the sake of being harsh". I guarantee you that even the people criticizing the show wanted to love it like you do. They love Evil Dead. That's why they keep watching it. I wanna believe that we're all grown ups here who can handle different opinions and engage in conversation with people we disagree with, cause like you said yourself, there's room for both sides.

I guess I just thought this show was every Evil Dead fan’s dream come true, and I stayed here to read more into it.

Seeing Bruce back as Ash and getting a continuation of the movies was certainly a dream come true. I was excited about it just like anybody else here. Unfortunately, that's all I got and it wasn't enough. It's still possible for a dream come true to be disappointing, you know? Like I already said to you, what people love about Ash and Evil Dead may vary from person to person. You got what you wanted from it and that's great. I'm happy for you and you have the right to praise it as passionately as you can. I didn't and I also have the right to show my dissatisfaction and my disapproval as passionately as I feel like. That's just how it is. Something similar to this has been happening in the Star Wars community with the very divisive reception The Last Jedi got. The funny thing is that on that other fandom, I'm on the opposite side. I loved the film, was thoroughly satisfied with it and thought Luke's portrayal was handled perfectly. What I said about different fans wanting different things applies to that film as well. So believe me when I say, I understand how you, Joem1k, Guy and some other forum members who absolutely love the show must feel. Still, that's not gonna make me hold back my opinions.

Last edited:

Surtur

Loud Mouth Braggart
@DyD I got something different for the franchise that I enjoy, and anytime something is different it’s going to divide fans. I look at it like my favorite band that puts an album out that’s a little different. Some are going to embrace any new material and some are going to resent the change in sound. Perhaps I’m just easy to please or blindly loyal.

Joem1k

Hero from the Sky
Staff member
@DyD
Yeah, i don't think that statement i said there didn't ring true at all and i'm gonna take that one back. I just wanna say again, it's not your opinions it was the atmosphere and the patterns of the discussions that i got burnt out on, it felt like we were covering the same ground each week with each episode. and i feel like this all started with me during season 2

i think as a whole i've just gotten burnt out on the whole in-depth discussion train for this show and i think that all started after the 2nd season ended i hoped that hiatus i went on would do me some good but i guess it didn't cause here i am again near the end of the season being burnt out per usual. So i'm probably just gonna go and make general reaction posts and just enjoy the rest of the ride for this final season.

Last edited:

DyD

Spinach Chin
@DyD
Yeah, i don't think that statement i said there didn't ring true at all and i'm gonna take that one back. I just wanna say again, it's not your opinions it was the atmosphere and the patterns of the discussions that i got burnt out on, it felt like we were covering the same ground each week with each episode. and i feel like this all started with me during season 2

i think as a whole i've just gotten burnt out on the whole in-depth discussion train for this show and i think that all started after the 2nd season ended i hoped that hiatus i went on would do me some good but i guess it didn't cause here i am again near the end of the season being burnt out per usual. So i'm probably just gonna go and make general reaction posts and just enjoy the rest of the ride for this final season.

That's what I've been feeling as well, so I can relate. I also have pretty much stopped doing in-depth analysis for each episode and when I do get into details it's usually as a reply to something someone else brought up, as it happened in the spoiler discussion in this very topic that started this whole back and forth. The thing is, to me, that burn out doesn't have anything to do with a "negative atmosphere" or a massive overflow of opinions different than my own. It's just that most of the time I have nothing to say that hasn't been said before. So I can definitely understand that comment about "covering the same ground each week" you made there.

Top Bottom