[CLOSED] Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Well, Kain and chainsaw_master can tell us how far off we are in our estimations in any event!

@Joe

Iiii think it's kinda obvious she does, from the goopy eye contact and "what a manly man" facial expression she's shooting him.  I hope that's not what it develops into, TBH.

The frustrating thing is that Ash already learned this lesson in AOD.  He only un-learned it because Sam thinks it's funny.

The DOG review's got a couple of mistakes, judging from what C_M and Kain have said, unless the version they played in New York is different from what LA got.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

MaidOfKandar said:
Well, Kain and chainsaw_master can tell us how far off we are in our estimations in any event!

@Joe

Iiii think it's kinda obvious she does, from the goopy eye contact and "what a manly man" facial expression she's shooting him.  I hope that's not what it develops into, TBH.

The frustrating thing is that Ash already learned this lesson in AOD.  He only un-learned it because Sam thinks it's funny.

The DOG review's got a couple of mistakes, judging from what C_M and Kain have said, unless the version they played in New York is different from what LA got.

I don't think it will, and yeah your  right about the facial expression she gives him, but i think it will be for just that moment in episode 1 where kelly sees ash for who he really is before she give's him the friend zone in later episodes.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Yeah, she looked rather turned on to me. I doubt it will go anywhere beyond a kind of .... well... not 'father daughter'.... more 'sarcy niece and goofy (but tough) uncle', relationship though.

And Ash
bonking both Amanda and Ruby? I read the Ruby spoiler from an interview with Lucy Lawless about a "love scene that was just wrong" but both? That's just ridiculous. And I hope it turns out to be wrong. Judging by the banter between the two actors on the Paley Fest panel I suspect otherwise, though.

On the other hand it did introduce me to the phrase 'baloney pony'. Hee hee.

All in all, the reviews are promising, although I know everyone is psyched up in the conventions. 

I doubt I will get Starz, even if it's available over here in the UK. (I understand there's a music channel of the name, no doubt run by the same company, but UK premier information has drawn a blank for me so far.)

I'm hoping the episodes will be readily available on Amazon or PS network over here.

As a PC, PS3 and android user, I'm not keen on Itunes, but if it's the only way to see it... I'd make the sacrifice.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

My impression was that Kelly gave Ash the Sheila I want to be with you look for a split second during the the trailer fight scene in the first episode.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

My opinion on the Kelly clip:

I'm not trying to be sexist or stereotypical, so please don't stone me to death for this or anything, but biologically and evolutionarily speaking, saving your life from a bunch of hellish deadites can, for a brief moment, very likely make that person more sexually attractive (not necessarily only) for the opposite sex.

Now, I'm not saying that the look Kelly is giving to Ash isn't a bit over the top and creepy, but I don't think there will be much more to it than this. I think the point of her relationship with Ash is that she starts with ignoring him and being mean to him, then she spikes to the "alpha-male adoring mode" for a few moments, and then she settles somewhere in the middle, in the ways of "OK, this guy is cool, he can help me and I can learn a thing or two from him". So what I'm saying is basically that there won't necessarily be this kind of weird tension between the two in the following episodes... Or at least I hope not...
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Look,

Ash's character in this episode is a natural progression from when we last saw him in AoD(Even the Evil Dead video games have Ash acting the way he does in this show). And if you want to say it's not then fine. After all AoD Ash is completely different than Evil Dead 1 & 2 Ash.

And in Army of Darkness yea sure Sheila fell for Ash but he was still a ladies man. It was made apparent when he had all those maidens feeding him and I don't know how you can forget about this but Sheila gives into him when he literally grabs her and says "Gimme some sugar baby".

Sometimes I feel like people need to rewatch the films before ranting about stuff.

And to say they are putting content in this for the sake of shock value is silly for various reasons. A doggy style bathroom sex scene where you barely see any skin isn't nearly as crazy as the tree rape scene.

Also it's Evil Dead. The entire franchise is built around shock value.....

The scene with Kelly, yes she gives him the "ohhh now I can see you being attractive" eyes but it's only for that moment when she realizes Ash is a badass and not some creepy old guy jerk. It's clear that somewhere down the road Kelly and Pablo will become a thing.

Honestly instead of those of us who haven't seen the show and are complaining and over-analyzing every little but of info we get on the show, why not just wait for the first episode to come out and judge it for ourselves then?

As a hardcore Evil Dead fan all I can say is for the majority, this is what we've waited for: this is Evil Dead 4. Ash is back, and it couldn't be groovier.


Kain said:
Hey Chainsaw_Master were you the Ash cosplayer in the back who asked the final question during the Paleyfest panel?

No, I was at NYCC!
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

October 15th. Happy 34th anniversary to The Evil Dead the movie that started it all which premiered on this day in 1981, and all I can say is how awesome it is that we are even talking about it let alone getting a tv show.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Joem1k said:
MaidOfKandar said:
Well, Kain and chainsaw_master can tell us how far off we are in our estimations in any event!

@Joe

Iiii think it's kinda obvious she does, from the goopy eye contact and "what a manly man" facial expression she's shooting him.  I hope that's not what it develops into, TBH.

The frustrating thing is that Ash already learned this lesson in AOD.  He only un-learned it because Sam thinks it's funny.

The DOG review's got a couple of mistakes, judging from what C_M and Kain have said, unless the version they played in New York is different from what LA got.

I don't think it will, and yeah your  right about the facial expression she gives him, but i think it will be for just that moment in episode 1 where kelly sees ash for who he really is before she give's him the friend zone in later episodes.

IDK if we can even call it "the friend zone", since they keep saying she's "Ash Junior" and his mentoree in interviews.

Mardeadite and also @Kain said:
Yeah, she looked rather turned on to me. I doubt it will go anywhere beyond a kind of .... well... not 'father daughter'.... more 'sarcy niece and goofy (but tough) uncle', relationship though.

And Ash
bonking both Amanda and Ruby? I read the Ruby spoiler from an interview with Lucy Lawless about a "love scene that was just wrong" but both? That's just ridiculous. And I hope it turns out to be wrong. Judging by the banter between the two actors on the Paley Fest panel I suspect otherwise, though.

On the other hand it did introduce me to the phrase 'baloney pony'. Hee hee.

All in all, the reviews are promising, although I know everyone is psyched up in the conventions. 

I doubt I will get Starz, even if it's available over here in the UK. (I understand there's a music channel of the name, no doubt run by the same company, but UK premier information has drawn a blank for me so far.)

I'm hoping the episodes will be readily available on Amazon or PS network over here.

As a PC, PS3 and android user, I'm not keen on Itunes, but if it's the only way to see it... I'd make the sacrifice.

It's just a weird, weird way for them to start out if he's supposed to be mentoring these kids, even though bad example.  Ash doesn't make passes at every single woman in movie canon so the 'Ash is an alpha male lothario' stuff is really just talk made large by fandom that gets party-line repeated to the point of becoming the default go-to  I just want him to have ONE platonic relationship with a woman in the series.  He had one with Annie, he could just as well have another.  I also just want to be able to root for Pablo/Kelly without any weird love triangle crap going on down the line.

I'm also super amused that this is the discussion we're having about this show revolves around this.  Evil Dead: slowly becoming Peyton Place...

Yeah, the Amanda stuff is pretty much confirmed through the episode breakdowns from 7-10, when she joins up with their team and most of the episode 9 spoiler revolves around her reaction to a "new side of him".  She was also described in early breakdowns as Ash's love interest. 

I cannot for the life of me remember what the UK carrier is supposed to be, but if you use Hola unblocker you should be able to see it on Starz a bit after the premiere.  Does anyone have deets on how Starz stuff gets distributed officially in the UK digitally?

Hurley said:
My opinion on the Kelly clip:

I'm not trying to be sexist or stereotypical, so please don't stone me to death for this or anything, but biologically and evolutionarily speaking, saving your life from a bunch of hellish deadites can, for a brief moment, very likely make that person more sexually attractive (not necessarily only) for the opposite sex.

Now, I'm not saying that the look Kelly is giving to Ash isn't a bit over the top and creepy, but I don't think there will be much more to it than this. I think the point of her relationship with Ash is that she starts with ignoring him and being mean to him, then she spikes to the "alpha-male adoring mode" for a few moments, and then she settles somewhere in the middle, in the ways of "OK, this guy is cool, he can help me and I can learn a thing or two from him". So what I'm saying is basically that there won't necessarily be this kind of weird tension between the two in the following episodes... Or at least I hope not...
Ash...isn't even really saving their lives at that point tho - though I presume he wants her belt for a reason. 

But yeah, that's my hope too.  They keep repeating 'mentoree'.  No need to weird it up with love triangle stuff. 
chainsaw_master said:
Look,

Ash's character in this episode is a natural progression from when we last saw him in AoD(Even the Evil Dead video games have Ash acting the way he does in this show). And if you want to say it's not then fine. After all AoD Ash is completely different than Evil Dead 1 & 2 Ash.

And in Army of Darkness yea sure Sheila fell for Ash but he was still a ladies man. It was made apparent when he had all those maidens feeding him and I don't know how you can forget about this but Sheila gives into him when he literally grabs her and says "Gimme some sugar baby".

Sometimes I feel like people need to rewatch the films before ranting about stuff.

And to say they are putting content in this for the sake of shock value is silly for various reasons. A doggy style bathroom sex scene where you barely see any skin isn't nearly as crazy as the tree rape scene.

Also it's Evil Dead. The entire franchise is built around shock value.....

The scene with Kelly, yes she gives him the "ohhh now I can see you being attractive" eyes but it's only for that moment when she realizes Ash is a badass and not some creepy old guy jerk. It's clear that somewhere down the road Kelly and Pablo will become a thing.

Honestly instead of those of us who haven't seen the show and are complaining and over-analyzing every little but of info we get on the show, why not just wait for the first episode to come out and judge it for ourselves then?

As a hardcore Evil Dead fan all I can say is for the majority, this is what we've waited for: this is Evil Dead 4. Ash is back, and it couldn't be groovier.


Kain said:
Hey Chainsaw_Master were you the Ash cosplayer in the back who asked the final question during the Paleyfest panel?

No, I was at NYCC!



"Look?" really?

Oh dude, please, please please don't go to the no True Scotsman "you need to rewatch your canon" fallacy.   I happen to rewatch the movies once a month or more for relaxation purposes (AOD and ED2 more than TED, but still) myself, and I believe a good number of us watch it as frequently if not more.  I think I have a pretty firm grip on canon and who Ash is - or who he was pre-this.  And I think the kind of guy who can't bring himself to do more than kick his love interest off of him AS SHE'S TRYING TO CUT HIS NUTS OFF and whose reaction to a woman saying his story is cute is to shyly look at his shoes and go "yeah"  wouldn't end up doggystyle fucking a total stranger over her sink a day after reciting passages while high on pot that he knows will cause the world to come down around his ears.  There's a thick line between "I'm going to stubbornly insist I know everything because I'm pissed off at the world for throwing me into your time period and lives so when it comes time to help you I won't do it" and "LOL this is almost like Spanish please put your hands down my pants."

I keep hearing people repeat the words "natural progression" and nodding to each other about it, but they're not giving out proof that this is why they think it should be this way.

I would argue that the serving maidens fawning all over him are, y'know, serving maidens and forced to serve whoever enters the castle as a guest of Henry, hero or not, and are impressed with him but that's it.  They basically don't exist to him when he's sitting there grabbing food from them and the second Sheila enters the room they fade into the background for him.  If he were trying to put his hands on them I'd believe it, but no.  Also meaningless casual sex /= enjoying being pampered.  I know Sam is on the commentary track going "he should be going after other women now" but if it ain't on the stage it ain't in the canon.

And As for Sheila and Ash's relationship:

A: She's shown to be physically stronger than him on multiple occasions.  Like, the only way he defeats her in Deadite form is by pure luck, and as a normal flesh and blood woman she has enough arm strength to knock him silly with a rock to the back of the head.

B: She shows no subsequent fear in further dressing him down after he tries to run away after screwing up the incantation in the cemetery.

C: In the ensuing love scene SHE is the one lying him down on that bearskin rug.  People who are being 'forcibly seduced' generally aren't the ones lying a guy down and initiating further kisses.    HE is the one who gives in and accepts the cape and outfit she made for him and then makes offscreen love promises to her that proceed to get him in MORE trouble.

D: Even in the gimmie some sugar scene, where he's physically restraining her in order to get her to look at him (the restraining lasts less than a second and he doesn't lay the line on her until he's let go),  he can't bring himself to hit her back AFTER SHE SLAPS HIM, lets go of her arms and STROKES THE SIDE OF HER FACE and before laying that line on her.  There is hair-pulling but there is no resistance from her, and she goes immediately into the kiss.

E: Compare and contrast at will with her rape by Evil Ash.

Summarized idea: She wants that seduction as badly as he does and she came to the blacksmith's forge to, y'know, apologize and convince him. 

As for the sexual content in the franchise prior to AvED, we have:

A: The tree rape, which Sam has repeatedly said he wished wasn't in the movie and Bruce said was included because they think rape is a terrible crime.  It's not supposed to be funny, erotic or titillating but, y'know, horrifying.  

B: Ash and Sheila's love scene, which is surprisingly tasteful, serious and restrained.


Confirmed AvED sexual content:

A: Ash drunkenly fucking a woman in her bathroom from behind.

B: Ruby french-kissing a ten year old.


It speaks for itself.  You can think this is 'silly' all you like, but the fact that they're searching for sexual material to shock the audience with is pretty damn clear, they're just trying to push the envelope in a different, and in my opinion character-bending and in the case of the Ruby spoiler, nauseating ways.

I get that this is supposed to be, character-wise, a step backwards and Sam wants him to de-evolve for his own amusement, but I find watching Ash re-learn everything he already learned super frustrating for various reasons.  Which I've expressed before multiple times with actual reasons attached.

Also, really?  Army of Darkness is built around shock value?  A movie where skeletons play bones like piccolos?  You could say Evil Dead 2 has some shock value but no, not really, it's just a good old fashioned scary, gory monster movie with great physical comedy? TED, sure, of course, but TED isn't the whole franchise.

I also think it's fair to say Ash can be badass and a creepy jerk in this version of canon, because fondling Kelly is, y'know, creepy and not very excusable. 

In short: I am too a hardcore Evil Dead fan, but I have a differing opinion from yours.  *shrug emoji*.  Let's not denigrate each other and interrogate each other for our 'level of fannishness' please.

ETA: apparently the Fango review is out but I can't reach it from where I am.

And indeed, happy anniversary to TED!  :D
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

MaidOfKandar said:
Joem1k said:
MaidOfKandar said:
Well, Kain and chainsaw_master can tell us how far off we are in our estimations in any event!

@Joe

Iiii think it's kinda obvious she does, from the goopy eye contact and "what a manly man" facial expression she's shooting him.  I hope that's not what it develops into, TBH.

The frustrating thing is that Ash already learned this lesson in AOD.  He only un-learned it because Sam thinks it's funny.

The DOG review's got a couple of mistakes, judging from what C_M and Kain have said, unless the version they played in New York is different from what LA got.

I don't think it will, and yeah your  right about the facial expression she gives him, but i think it will be for just that moment in episode 1 where kelly sees ash for who he really is before she give's him the friend zone in later episodes.

IDK if we can even call it "the friend zone", since they keep saying she's "Ash Junior" and his mentoree in interviews.

Mardeadite and also @Kain said:
Yeah, she looked rather turned on to me. I doubt it will go anywhere beyond a kind of .... well... not 'father daughter'.... more 'sarcy niece and goofy (but tough) uncle', relationship though.

And Ash
bonking both Amanda and Ruby? I read the Ruby spoiler from an interview with Lucy Lawless about a "love scene that was just wrong" but both? That's just ridiculous. And I hope it turns out to be wrong. Judging by the banter between the two actors on the Paley Fest panel I suspect otherwise, though.

On the other hand it did introduce me to the phrase 'baloney pony'. Hee hee.

All in all, the reviews are promising, although I know everyone is psyched up in the conventions. 

I doubt I will get Starz, even if it's available over here in the UK. (I understand there's a music channel of the name, no doubt run by the same company, but UK premier information has drawn a blank for me so far.)

I'm hoping the episodes will be readily available on Amazon or PS network over here.

As a PC, PS3 and android user, I'm not keen on Itunes, but if it's the only way to see it... I'd make the sacrifice.

It's just a weird, weird way for them to start out if he's supposed to be mentoring these kids, even though bad example.  Ash doesn't make passes at every single woman in movie canon so the 'Ash is an alpha male lothario' stuff is really just talk made large by fandom that gets party-line repeated to the point of becoming the default go-to  I just want him to have ONE platonic relationship with a woman in the series.  He had one with Annie, he could just as well have another.  I also just want to be able to root for Pablo/Kelly without any weird love triangle crap going on down the line.

I'm also super amused that this is the discussion we're having about this show revolves around this.  Evil Dead: slowly becoming Peyton Place...

Yeah, the Amanda stuff is pretty much confirmed through the episode breakdowns from 7-10, when she joins up with their team and most of the episode 9 spoiler revolves around her reaction to a "new side of him".  She was also described in early breakdowns as Ash's love interest. 

I cannot for the life of me remember what the UK carrier is supposed to be, but if you use Hola unblocker you should be able to see it on Starz a bit after the premiere.  Does anyone have deets on how Starz stuff gets distributed officially in the UK digitally?

Hurley said:
My opinion on the Kelly clip:

I'm not trying to be sexist or stereotypical, so please don't stone me to death for this or anything, but biologically and evolutionarily speaking, saving your life from a bunch of hellish deadites can, for a brief moment, very likely make that person more sexually attractive (not necessarily only) for the opposite sex.

Now, I'm not saying that the look Kelly is giving to Ash isn't a bit over the top and creepy, but I don't think there will be much more to it than this. I think the point of her relationship with Ash is that she starts with ignoring him and being mean to him, then she spikes to the "alpha-male adoring mode" for a few moments, and then she settles somewhere in the middle, in the ways of "OK, this guy is cool, he can help me and I can learn a thing or two from him". So what I'm saying is basically that there won't necessarily be this kind of weird tension between the two in the following episodes... Or at least I hope not...
Ash...isn't even really saving their lives at that point tho - though I presume he wants her belt for a reason. 

But yeah, that's my hope too.  They keep repeating 'mentoree'.  No need to weird it up with love triangle stuff. 
chainsaw_master said:
Look,

Ash's character in this episode is a natural progression from when we last saw him in AoD(Even the Evil Dead video games have Ash acting the way he does in this show). And if you want to say it's not then fine. After all AoD Ash is completely different than Evil Dead 1 & 2 Ash.

And in Army of Darkness yea sure Sheila fell for Ash but he was still a ladies man. It was made apparent when he had all those maidens feeding him and I don't know how you can forget about this but Sheila gives into him when he literally grabs her and says "Gimme some sugar baby".

Sometimes I feel like people need to rewatch the films before ranting about stuff.

And to say they are putting content in this for the sake of shock value is silly for various reasons. A doggy style bathroom sex scene where you barely see any skin isn't nearly as crazy as the tree rape scene.

Also it's Evil Dead. The entire franchise is built around shock value.....

The scene with Kelly, yes she gives him the "ohhh now I can see you being attractive" eyes but it's only for that moment when she realizes Ash is a badass and not some creepy old guy jerk. It's clear that somewhere down the road Kelly and Pablo will become a thing.

Honestly instead of those of us who haven't seen the show and are complaining and over-analyzing every little but of info we get on the show, why not just wait for the first episode to come out and judge it for ourselves then?

As a hardcore Evil Dead fan all I can say is for the majority, this is what we've waited for: this is Evil Dead 4. Ash is back, and it couldn't be groovier.


Kain said:
Hey Chainsaw_Master were you the Ash cosplayer in the back who asked the final question during the Paleyfest panel?

No, I was at NYCC!



"Look?" really?

Oh dude, please, please please don't go to the no True Scotsman "you need to rewatch your canon" fallacy.   I happen to rewatch the movies once a month or more for relaxation purposes (AOD and ED2 more than TED, but still) myself, and I believe a good number of us watch it as frequently if not more.  I think I have a pretty firm grip on canon and who Ash is - or who he was pre-this.  And I think the kind of guy who can't bring himself to do more than kick his love interest off of him AS SHE'S TRYING TO CUT HIS NUTS OFF and whose reaction to a woman saying his story is cute is to shyly look at his shoes and go "yeah"  wouldn't end up doggystyle fucking a total stranger over her sink a day after reciting passages while high on pot that he knows will cause the world to come down around his ears.  There's a thick line between "I'm going to stubbornly insist I know everything because I'm pissed off at the world for throwing me into your time period and lives so when it comes time to help you I won't do it" and "LOL this is almost like Spanish please put your hands down my pants."

I keep hearing people repeat the words "natural progression" and nodding to each other about it, but they're not giving out proof that this is why they think it should be this way.

I would argue that the serving maidens fawning all over him are, y'know, serving maidens and forced to serve whoever enters the castle as a guest of Henry, hero or not, and are impressed with him but that's it.  They basically don't exist to him when he's sitting there grabbing food from them and the second Sheila enters the room they fade into the background for him.  If he were trying to put his hands on them I'd believe it, but no.  Also meaningless casual sex /= enjoying being pampered.  I know Sam is on the commentary track going "he should be going after other women now" but if it ain't on the stage it ain't in the canon.

And As for Sheila and Ash's relationship:

A: She's shown to be physically stronger than him on multiple occasions.  Like, the only way he defeats her in Deadite form is by pure luck, and as a normal flesh and blood woman she has enough arm strength to knock him silly with a rock to the back of the head.

B: She shows no subsequent fear in further dressing him down after he tries to run away after screwing up the incantation in the cemetery.

C: In the ensuing love scene SHE is the one lying him down on that bearskin rug.  People who are being 'forcibly seduced' generally aren't the ones lying a guy down and initiating further kisses.    HE is the one who gives in and accepts the cape and outfit she made for him and then makes offscreen love promises to her that proceed to get him in MORE trouble.

D: Even in the gimmie some sugar scene, where he's physically restraining her in order to get her to look at him (the restraining lasts less than a second and he doesn't lay the line on her until he's let go),  he can't bring himself to hit her back AFTER SHE SLAPS HIM, lets go of her arms and STROKES THE SIDE OF HER FACE and before laying that line on her.  There is hair-pulling but there is no resistance from her, and she goes immediately into the kiss.

E: Compare and contrast at will with her rape by Evil Ash.

Summarized idea: She wants that seduction as badly as he does and she came to the blacksmith's forge to, y'know, apologize and convince him. 

As for the sexual content in the franchise prior to AvED, we have:

A: The tree rape, which Sam has repeatedly said he wished wasn't in the movie and Bruce said was included because they think rape is a terrible crime.  It's not supposed to be funny, erotic or titillating but, y'know, horrifying.  

B: Ash and Sheila's love scene, which is surprisingly tasteful, serious and restrained.


Confirmed AvED sexual content:

A: Ash drunkenly fucking a woman in her bathroom from behind.

B: Ruby french-kissing a ten year old.


It speaks for itself.  You can think this is 'silly' all you like, but the fact that they're searching for sexual material to shock the audience with is pretty damn clear, they're just trying to push the envelope in a different, and in my opinion character-bending and in the case of the Ruby spoiler, nauseating ways.

I get that this is supposed to be, character-wise, a step backwards and Sam wants him to de-evolve for his own amusement, but I find watching Ash re-learn everything he already learned super frustrating for various reasons.  Which I've expressed before multiple times with actual reasons attached.

Also, really?  Army of Darkness is built around shock value?  A movie where skeletons play bones like piccolos?  You could say Evil Dead 2 has some shock value but no, not really, it's just a good old fashioned scary, gory monster movie with great physical comedy? TED, sure, of course, but TED isn't the whole franchise.

I also think it's fair to say Ash can be badass and a creepy jerk in this version of canon, because fondling Kelly is, y'know, creepy and not very excusable. 

In short: I am too a hardcore Evil Dead fan, but I have a differing opinion from yours.  *shrug emoji*.  Let's not denigrate each other and interrogate each other for our 'level of fannishness' please.

ETA: apparently the Fango review is out but I can't reach it from where I am.

And indeed, happy anniversary to TED!  :D

 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Rolling Stone article

Bruce vis a vis Ash:  "[font=freight-text-pro, serif]He's a bad employee, a bad boyfriend — a very, [/font][font=freight-text-pro, serif]very[/font][font=freight-text-pro, serif] flawed hero."[/font]

To which I say: bad boyfriends don't have total nervous breakdowns after they chop up their girlfriends and then have their soul saved by memories of loving her.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

MaidOfKandar said:
Joem1k said:
MaidOfKandar said:
Well, Kain and chainsaw_master can tell us how far off we are in our estimations in any event!

@Joe

Iiii think it's kinda obvious she does, from the goopy eye contact and "what a manly man" facial expression she's shooting him.  I hope that's not what it develops into, TBH.

The frustrating thing is that Ash already learned this lesson in AOD.  He only un-learned it because Sam thinks it's funny.

The DOG review's got a couple of mistakes, judging from what C_M and Kain have said, unless the version they played in New York is different from what LA got.

I don't think it will, and yeah your  right about the facial expression she gives him, but i think it will be for just that moment in episode 1 where kelly sees ash for who he really is before she give's him the friend zone in later episodes.

IDK if we can even call it "the friend zone", since they keep saying she's "Ash Junior" and his mentoree in interviews.

Mardeadite and also @Kain said:
Yeah, she looked rather turned on to me. I doubt it will go anywhere beyond a kind of .... well... not 'father daughter'.... more 'sarcy niece and goofy (but tough) uncle', relationship though.

And Ash
bonking both Amanda and Ruby? I read the Ruby spoiler from an interview with Lucy Lawless about a "love scene that was just wrong" but both? That's just ridiculous. And I hope it turns out to be wrong. Judging by the banter between the two actors on the Paley Fest panel I suspect otherwise, though.

On the other hand it did introduce me to the phrase 'baloney pony'. Hee hee.

All in all, the reviews are promising, although I know everyone is psyched up in the conventions. 

I doubt I will get Starz, even if it's available over here in the UK. (I understand there's a music channel of the name, no doubt run by the same company, but UK premier information has drawn a blank for me so far.)

I'm hoping the episodes will be readily available on Amazon or PS network over here.

As a PC, PS3 and android user, I'm not keen on Itunes, but if it's the only way to see it... I'd make the sacrifice.

It's just a weird, weird way for them to start out if he's supposed to be mentoring these kids, even though bad example.  Ash doesn't make passes at every single woman in movie canon so the 'Ash is an alpha male lothario' stuff is really just talk made large by fandom that gets party-line repeated to the point of becoming the default go-to  I just want him to have ONE platonic relationship with a woman in the series.  He had one with Annie, he could just as well have another.  I also just want to be able to root for Pablo/Kelly without any weird love triangle crap going on down the line.

I'm also super amused that this is the discussion we're having about this show revolves around this.  Evil Dead: slowly becoming Peyton Place...

Yeah, the Amanda stuff is pretty much confirmed through the episode breakdowns from 7-10, when she joins up with their team and most of the episode 9 spoiler revolves around her reaction to a "new side of him".  She was also described in early breakdowns as Ash's love interest. 

I cannot for the life of me remember what the UK carrier is supposed to be, but if you use Hola unblocker you should be able to see it on Starz a bit after the premiere.  Does anyone have deets on how Starz stuff gets distributed officially in the UK digitally?

Hurley said:
My opinion on the Kelly clip:

I'm not trying to be sexist or stereotypical, so please don't stone me to death for this or anything, but biologically and evolutionarily speaking, saving your life from a bunch of hellish deadites can, for a brief moment, very likely make that person more sexually attractive (not necessarily only) for the opposite sex.

Now, I'm not saying that the look Kelly is giving to Ash isn't a bit over the top and creepy, but I don't think there will be much more to it than this. I think the point of her relationship with Ash is that she starts with ignoring him and being mean to him, then she spikes to the "alpha-male adoring mode" for a few moments, and then she settles somewhere in the middle, in the ways of "OK, this guy is cool, he can help me and I can learn a thing or two from him". So what I'm saying is basically that there won't necessarily be this kind of weird tension between the two in the following episodes... Or at least I hope not...
Ash...isn't even really saving their lives at that point tho - though I presume he wants her belt for a reason. 

But yeah, that's my hope too.  They keep repeating 'mentoree'.  No need to weird it up with love triangle stuff. 
chainsaw_master said:
Look,

Ash's character in this episode is a natural progression from when we last saw him in AoD(Even the Evil Dead video games have Ash acting the way he does in this show). And if you want to say it's not then fine. After all AoD Ash is completely different than Evil Dead 1 & 2 Ash.

And in Army of Darkness yea sure Sheila fell for Ash but he was still a ladies man. It was made apparent when he had all those maidens feeding him and I don't know how you can forget about this but Sheila gives into him when he literally grabs her and says "Gimme some sugar baby".

Sometimes I feel like people need to rewatch the films before ranting about stuff.

And to say they are putting content in this for the sake of shock value is silly for various reasons. A doggy style bathroom sex scene where you barely see any skin isn't nearly as crazy as the tree rape scene.

Also it's Evil Dead. The entire franchise is built around shock value.....

The scene with Kelly, yes she gives him the "ohhh now I can see you being attractive" eyes but it's only for that moment when she realizes Ash is a badass and not some creepy old guy jerk. It's clear that somewhere down the road Kelly and Pablo will become a thing.

Honestly instead of those of us who haven't seen the show and are complaining and over-analyzing every little but of info we get on the show, why not just wait for the first episode to come out and judge it for ourselves then?

As a hardcore Evil Dead fan all I can say is for the majority, this is what we've waited for: this is Evil Dead 4. Ash is back, and it couldn't be groovier.


Kain said:
Hey Chainsaw_Master were you the Ash cosplayer in the back who asked the final question during the Paleyfest panel?

No, I was at NYCC!



"Look?" really?

Oh dude, please, please please don't go to the no True Scotsman "you need to rewatch your canon" fallacy.   I happen to rewatch the movies once a month or more for relaxation purposes (AOD and ED2 more than TED, but still) myself, and I believe a good number of us watch it as frequently if not more.  I think I have a pretty firm grip on canon and who Ash is - or who he was pre-this.  And I think the kind of guy who can't bring himself to do more than kick his love interest off of him AS SHE'S TRYING TO CUT HIS NUTS OFF and whose reaction to a woman saying his story is cute is to shyly look at his shoes and go "yeah"  wouldn't end up doggystyle fucking a total stranger over her sink a day after reciting passages while high on pot that he knows will cause the world to come down around his ears.  There's a thick line between "I'm going to stubbornly insist I know everything because I'm pissed off at the world for throwing me into your time period and lives so when it comes time to help you I won't do it" and "LOL this is almost like Spanish please put your hands down my pants."

I keep hearing people repeat the words "natural progression" and nodding to each other about it, but they're not giving out proof that this is why they think it should be this way.

I would argue that the serving maidens fawning all over him are, y'know, serving maidens and forced to serve whoever enters the castle as a guest of Henry, hero or not, and are impressed with him but that's it.  They basically don't exist to him when he's sitting there grabbing food from them and the second Sheila enters the room they fade into the background for him.  If he were trying to put his hands on them I'd believe it, but no.  Also meaningless casual sex /= enjoying being pampered.  I know Sam is on the commentary track going "he should be going after other women now" but if it ain't on the stage it ain't in the canon.

And As for Sheila and Ash's relationship:

A: She's shown to be physically stronger than him on multiple occasions.  Like, the only way he defeats her in Deadite form is by pure luck, and as a normal flesh and blood woman she has enough arm strength to knock him silly with a rock to the back of the head.

B: She shows no subsequent fear in further dressing him down after he tries to run away after screwing up the incantation in the cemetery.

C: In the ensuing love scene SHE is the one lying him down on that bearskin rug.  People who are being 'forcibly seduced' generally aren't the ones lying a guy down and initiating further kisses.    HE is the one who gives in and accepts the cape and outfit she made for him and then makes offscreen love promises to her that proceed to get him in MORE trouble.

D: Even in the gimmie some sugar scene, where he's physically restraining her in order to get her to look at him (the restraining lasts less than a second and he doesn't lay the line on her until he's let go),  he can't bring himself to hit her back AFTER SHE SLAPS HIM, lets go of her arms and STROKES THE SIDE OF HER FACE and before laying that line on her.  There is hair-pulling but there is no resistance from her, and she goes immediately into the kiss.

E: Compare and contrast at will with her rape by Evil Ash.

Summarized idea: She wants that seduction as badly as he does and she came to the blacksmith's forge to, y'know, apologize and convince him. 

As for the sexual content in the franchise prior to AvED, we have:

A: The tree rape, which Sam has repeatedly said he wished wasn't in the movie and Bruce said was included because they think rape is a terrible crime.  It's not supposed to be funny, erotic or titillating but, y'know, horrifying.  

B: Ash and Sheila's love scene, which is surprisingly tasteful, serious and restrained.


Confirmed AvED sexual content:

A: Ash drunkenly fucking a woman in her bathroom from behind.

B: Ruby french-kissing a ten year old.


It speaks for itself.  You can think this is 'silly' all you like, but the fact that they're searching for sexual material to shock the audience with is pretty damn clear, they're just trying to push the envelope in a different, and in my opinion character-bending and in the case of the Ruby spoiler, nauseating ways.

I get that this is supposed to be, character-wise, a step backwards and Sam wants him to de-evolve for his own amusement, but I find watching Ash re-learn everything he already learned super frustrating for various reasons.  Which I've expressed before multiple times with actual reasons attached.

Also, really?  Army of Darkness is built around shock value?  A movie where skeletons play bones like piccolos?  You could say Evil Dead 2 has some shock value but no, not really, it's just a good old fashioned scary, gory monster movie with great physical comedy? TED, sure, of course, but TED isn't the whole franchise.

I also think it's fair to say Ash can be badass and a creepy jerk in this version of canon, because fondling Kelly is, y'know, creepy and not very excusable. 

In short: I am too a hardcore Evil Dead fan, but I have a differing opinion from yours.  *shrug emoji*.  Let's not denigrate each other and interrogate each other for our 'level of fannishness' please.

ETA: apparently the Fango review is out but I can't reach it from where I am.

And indeed, happy anniversary to TED!  :D


 
the evil dead franchise is kinda debatable about what's canon.
there is no multiverse confirmed,  just a bunch of maybe there is?, 
maybe there is not?

most people theories are head canon.

take my theory, I see the 3 movies as ash telling the same the story
at different times, I believe there is more then one necronomicon.
(Jason goes to hell) maybe different volumes as well. (evil dead 2013)

I also believe most evil dead spinoffs are canon in some form.
(comic books and video games)

i believe the evil knew who ash was at the cabin and that 
was the reason he was emotionally tortured by it.(first met him in 1300 ad and knew he was its for told destroyer)
 like I said it's up in the air its just my personal canon.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

MaidOfKandar said:
Rolling Stone article

Bruce vis a vis Ash:  "[font=freight-text-pro, serif]He's a bad employee, a bad boyfriend — a very, [/font][font=freight-text-pro, serif]very[/font][font=freight-text-pro, serif] flawed hero."[/font]

To which I say: bad boyfriends don't have total nervous breakdowns after they chop up their girlfriends and then have their soul saved by memories of loving her.

Don't forget that Linda is in AvED too (her head at least). I can't wait to see how Ash will react to this. Maybe he will be closer to the Ash from ED1/2 when he will see her. It could be a powerful scene.

Oh and girlfriend or not, I think I would have a total nervous breakdown after chopping anyone, haha.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

MaidOfKandar said:
Joem1k said:
MaidOfKandar said:
Well, Kain and chainsaw_master can tell us how far off we are in our estimations in any event!

@Joe

Iiii think it's kinda obvious she does, from the goopy eye contact and "what a manly man" facial expression she's shooting him.  I hope that's not what it develops into, TBH.

The frustrating thing is that Ash already learned this lesson in AOD.  He only un-learned it because Sam thinks it's funny.

The DOG review's got a couple of mistakes, judging from what C_M and Kain have said, unless the version they played in New York is different from what LA got.

I don't think it will, and yeah your  right about the facial expression she gives him, but i think it will be for just that moment in episode 1 where kelly sees ash for who he really is before she give's him the friend zone in later episodes.

IDK if we can even call it "the friend zone", since they keep saying she's "Ash Junior" and his mentoree in interviews.

Mardeadite and also @Kain said:
Yeah, she looked rather turned on to me. I doubt it will go anywhere beyond a kind of .... well... not 'father daughter'.... more 'sarcy niece and goofy (but tough) uncle', relationship though.

And Ash
bonking both Amanda and Ruby? I read the Ruby spoiler from an interview with Lucy Lawless about a "love scene that was just wrong" but both? That's just ridiculous. And I hope it turns out to be wrong. Judging by the banter between the two actors on the Paley Fest panel I suspect otherwise, though.

On the other hand it did introduce me to the phrase 'baloney pony'. Hee hee.

All in all, the reviews are promising, although I know everyone is psyched up in the conventions. 

I doubt I will get Starz, even if it's available over here in the UK. (I understand there's a music channel of the name, no doubt run by the same company, but UK premier information has drawn a blank for me so far.)

I'm hoping the episodes will be readily available on Amazon or PS network over here.

As a PC, PS3 and android user, I'm not keen on Itunes, but if it's the only way to see it... I'd make the sacrifice.

It's just a weird, weird way for them to start out if he's supposed to be mentoring these kids, even though bad example.  Ash doesn't make passes at every single woman in movie canon so the 'Ash is an alpha male lothario' stuff is really just talk made large by fandom that gets party-line repeated to the point of becoming the default go-to  I just want him to have ONE platonic relationship with a woman in the series.  He had one with Annie, he could just as well have another.  I also just want to be able to root for Pablo/Kelly without any weird love triangle crap going on down the line.

I'm also super amused that this is the discussion we're having about this show revolves around this.  Evil Dead: slowly becoming Peyton Place...

Yeah, the Amanda stuff is pretty much confirmed through the episode breakdowns from 7-10, when she joins up with their team and most of the episode 9 spoiler revolves around her reaction to a "new side of him".  She was also described in early breakdowns as Ash's love interest. 

I cannot for the life of me remember what the UK carrier is supposed to be, but if you use Hola unblocker you should be able to see it on Starz a bit after the premiere.  Does anyone have deets on how Starz stuff gets distributed officially in the UK digitally?

Hurley said:
My opinion on the Kelly clip:

I'm not trying to be sexist or stereotypical, so please don't stone me to death for this or anything, but biologically and evolutionarily speaking, saving your life from a bunch of hellish deadites can, for a brief moment, very likely make that person more sexually attractive (not necessarily only) for the opposite sex.

Now, I'm not saying that the look Kelly is giving to Ash isn't a bit over the top and creepy, but I don't think there will be much more to it than this. I think the point of her relationship with Ash is that she starts with ignoring him and being mean to him, then she spikes to the "alpha-male adoring mode" for a few moments, and then she settles somewhere in the middle, in the ways of "OK, this guy is cool, he can help me and I can learn a thing or two from him". So what I'm saying is basically that there won't necessarily be this kind of weird tension between the two in the following episodes... Or at least I hope not...
Ash...isn't even really saving their lives at that point tho - though I presume he wants her belt for a reason. 

But yeah, that's my hope too.  They keep repeating 'mentoree'.  No need to weird it up with love triangle stuff. 
chainsaw_master said:
Look,

Ash's character in this episode is a natural progression from when we last saw him in AoD(Even the Evil Dead video games have Ash acting the way he does in this show). And if you want to say it's not then fine. After all AoD Ash is completely different than Evil Dead 1 & 2 Ash.

And in Army of Darkness yea sure Sheila fell for Ash but he was still a ladies man. It was made apparent when he had all those maidens feeding him and I don't know how you can forget about this but Sheila gives into him when he literally grabs her and says "Gimme some sugar baby".

Sometimes I feel like people need to rewatch the films before ranting about stuff.

And to say they are putting content in this for the sake of shock value is silly for various reasons. A doggy style bathroom sex scene where you barely see any skin isn't nearly as crazy as the tree rape scene.

Also it's Evil Dead. The entire franchise is built around shock value.....

The scene with Kelly, yes she gives him the "ohhh now I can see you being attractive" eyes but it's only for that moment when she realizes Ash is a badass and not some creepy old guy jerk. It's clear that somewhere down the road Kelly and Pablo will become a thing.

Honestly instead of those of us who haven't seen the show and are complaining and over-analyzing every little but of info we get on the show, why not just wait for the first episode to come out and judge it for ourselves then?

As a hardcore Evil Dead fan all I can say is for the majority, this is what we've waited for: this is Evil Dead 4. Ash is back, and it couldn't be groovier.


Kain said:
Hey Chainsaw_Master were you the Ash cosplayer in the back who asked the final question during the Paleyfest panel?

No, I was at NYCC!



"Look?" really?

Oh dude, please, please please don't go to the no True Scotsman "you need to rewatch your canon" fallacy.   I happen to rewatch the movies once a month or more for relaxation purposes (AOD and ED2 more than TED, but still) myself, and I believe a good number of us watch it as frequently if not more.  I think I have a pretty firm grip on canon and who Ash is - or who he was pre-this.  And I think the kind of guy who can't bring himself to do more than kick his love interest off of him AS SHE'S TRYING TO CUT HIS NUTS OFF and whose reaction to a woman saying his story is cute is to shyly look at his shoes and go "yeah"  wouldn't end up doggystyle fucking a total stranger over her sink a day after reciting passages while high on pot that he knows will cause the world to come down around his ears.  There's a thick line between "I'm going to stubbornly insist I know everything because I'm pissed off at the world for throwing me into your time period and lives so when it comes time to help you I won't do it" and "LOL this is almost like Spanish please put your hands down my pants."

I keep hearing people repeat the words "natural progression" and nodding to each other about it, but they're not giving out proof that this is why they think it should be this way.

I would argue that the serving maidens fawning all over him are, y'know, serving maidens and forced to serve whoever enters the castle as a guest of Henry, hero or not, and are impressed with him but that's it.  They basically don't exist to him when he's sitting there grabbing food from them and the second Sheila enters the room they fade into the background for him.  If he were trying to put his hands on them I'd believe it, but no.  Also meaningless casual sex /= enjoying being pampered.  I know Sam is on the commentary track going "he should be going after other women now" but if it ain't on the stage it ain't in the canon.

And As for Sheila and Ash's relationship:

A: She's shown to be physically stronger than him on multiple occasions.  Like, the only way he defeats her in Deadite form is by pure luck, and as a normal flesh and blood woman she has enough arm strength to knock him silly with a rock to the back of the head.

B: She shows no subsequent fear in further dressing him down after he tries to run away after screwing up the incantation in the cemetery.

C: In the ensuing love scene SHE is the one lying him down on that bearskin rug.  People who are being 'forcibly seduced' generally aren't the ones lying a guy down and initiating further kisses.    HE is the one who gives in and accepts the cape and outfit she made for him and then makes offscreen love promises to her that proceed to get him in MORE trouble.

D: Even in the gimmie some sugar scene, where he's physically restraining her in order to get her to look at him (the restraining lasts less than a second and he doesn't lay the line on her until he's let go),  he can't bring himself to hit her back AFTER SHE SLAPS HIM, lets go of her arms and STROKES THE SIDE OF HER FACE and before laying that line on her.  There is hair-pulling but there is no resistance from her, and she goes immediately into the kiss.

E: Compare and contrast at will with her rape by Evil Ash.

Summarized idea: She wants that seduction as badly as he does and she came to the blacksmith's forge to, y'know, apologize and convince him. 

As for the sexual content in the franchise prior to AvED, we have:

A: The tree rape, which Sam has repeatedly said he wished wasn't in the movie and Bruce said was included because they think rape is a terrible crime.  It's not supposed to be funny, erotic or titillating but, y'know, horrifying.  

B: Ash and Sheila's love scene, which is surprisingly tasteful, serious and restrained.


Confirmed AvED sexual content:

A: Ash drunkenly fucking a woman in her bathroom from behind.

B: Ruby french-kissing a ten year old.


It speaks for itself.  You can think this is 'silly' all you like, but the fact that they're searching for sexual material to shock the audience with is pretty damn clear, they're just trying to push the envelope in a different, and in my opinion character-bending and in the case of the Ruby spoiler, nauseating ways.

I get that this is supposed to be, character-wise, a step backwards and Sam wants him to de-evolve for his own amusement, but I find watching Ash re-learn everything he already learned super frustrating for various reasons.  Which I've expressed before multiple times with actual reasons attached.

Also, really?  Army of Darkness is built around shock value?  A movie where skeletons play bones like piccolos?  You could say Evil Dead 2 has some shock value but no, not really, it's just a good old fashioned scary, gory monster movie with great physical comedy? TED, sure, of course, but TED isn't the whole franchise.

I also think it's fair to say Ash can be badass and a creepy jerk in this version of canon, because fondling Kelly is, y'know, creepy and not very excusable. 

In short: I am too a hardcore Evil Dead fan, but I have a differing opinion from yours.  *shrug emoji*.  Let's not denigrate each other and interrogate each other for our 'level of fannishness' please.

ETA: apparently the Fango review is out but I can't reach it from where I am.

And indeed, happy anniversary to TED!  :D



:rolleyes: just wait till you see the show.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

MaidOfKandar said:
Rolling Stone article

Bruce vis a vis Ash:  "[font=freight-text-pro, serif]He's a bad employee, a bad boyfriend — a very, [/font][font=freight-text-pro, serif]very[/font][font=freight-text-pro, serif] flawed hero."[/font]

To which I say: bad boyfriends don't have total nervous breakdowns after they chop up their girlfriends and then have their soul saved by memories of loving her.

In complete agreement--although I don't find Ash so sweet between-the-lines in AOD as you do, though I wish I did.

But having breezed through the new features in the new AOD Blu-ray which includes at-the-time interviews along with the audio commentary (which I hadn't heard before), it seems that the Ash of AvsED is very much how Raimi and Campbell started to decide Ash was, as far back as the production of AOD. As I've said before, these character flaws that they speak of in Ash weren't there in the first two films, so it was with AOD when our hero started to be defined as some sort of jackass. Raimi's insulting AOD scene idea of showing Ash cowering from the Army of Darkness in a closet during the end battle proves the new status-quo for our hero.

It's a shame, because ED2 is one of my most favorite films of all time, exactly for the portrayal of Ash in the film on top of other things. But had Ash in that film been the Ash of AOD/AvsED? The film wouldn't be anywhere near so high in my esteem.

I hold out hope that Linda's appearance in AvsED will set Ash on a road toward reclaiming his original personality--but with Raimi I won't hold my breath. I cannot fathom how Ash/Bruce can be so cocky/idiotic when re-confronted with Linda. I just can't.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

K100 said:
MaidOfKandar said:
Rolling Stone article

Bruce vis a vis Ash:  "[font=freight-text-pro, serif]He's a bad employee, a bad boyfriend — a very, [/font][font=freight-text-pro, serif]very[/font][font=freight-text-pro, serif] flawed hero."[/font]

To which I say: bad boyfriends don't have total nervous breakdowns after they chop up their girlfriends and then have their soul saved by memories of loving her.

Don't forget that Linda is in AvED too (her head at least). I can't wait to see how Ash will react to this. Maybe he will be closer to the Ash from ED1/2 when he will see her. It could be a powerful scene.

Oh and girlfriend or not, I think I would have a total nervous breakdown after chopping anyone, haha.

It could be - I have a feeling it won't be, and the head'll just be another excuse for Ash to get bitten some more.

DocLathropBrown said:
MaidOfKandar said:
Rolling Stone article

Bruce vis a vis Ash:  "[font=freight-text-pro, serif]He's a bad employee, a bad boyfriend — a very, [/font][font=freight-text-pro, serif]very[/font][font=freight-text-pro, serif] flawed hero."[/font]

To which I say: bad boyfriends don't have total nervous breakdowns after they chop up their girlfriends and then have their soul saved by memories of loving her.

In complete agreement--although I don't find Ash so sweet between-the-lines in AOD as you do, though I wish I did.

But having breezed through the new features in the new AOD Blu-ray which includes at-the-time interviews along with the audio commentary (which I hadn't heard before), it seems that the Ash of AvsED is very much how Raimi and Campbell started to decide Ash was, as far back as the production of AOD. As I've said before, these character flaws that they speak of in Ash weren't there in the first two films, so it was with AOD when our hero started to be defined as some sort of jackass. Raimi's insulting AOD scene idea of showing Ash cowering from the Army of Darkness in a closet during the end battle proves the new status-quo for our hero.

It's a shame, because ED2 is one of my most favorite films of all time, exactly for the portrayal of Ash in the film on top of other things. But had Ash in that film been the Ash of AOD/AvsED? The film wouldn't be anywhere near so high in my esteem.

I hold out hope that Linda's appearance in AvsED will set Ash on a road toward reclaiming his original personality--but with Raimi I won't hold my breath. I cannot fathom how Ash/Bruce can be so cocky/idiotic when re-confronted with Linda. I just can't.

Yeah, IMOHO, it's all actually there in canon if you look at it - it's not like I'm spitting headcanon out of the blue, these are actually things that happen in the movie that anyone can see if you watch it.  I tend to dismiss the whole "cowering in the corner" thing because it's yet another way Sam likes to bust Bruce's balls, but he can be that complex; he can be a coward who's trying to leave the whole situation without tying things off and the kind of guy who can't bring himself to hit non-possessed women.

@Chainsaw_Master:  I've got a pretty decent idea what goes down in the episode, between your spoilers, Kain's spoilers and the semi-erroneous DOG play-by-play article, so I don't believe I'm spitting too far into the wind.   Y'know, just rolling your eyes at me dismissively isn't even getting us anywhere.  It's not even a discussion.  And this IS a discussion board...
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Touchy. And I didn't dismiss you. I dissmissed your POV. And am simply saying instead of trying to connect dots that aren't there and reading WAAAY too much into stuff,  be happy Ash is back, and judge the show for what it is when it finally airs. All you are doing is picking it apart before you even see it based on what you THINK Ash is supposed to be like and on little info that's been given to you about the show. A lot of stuff you've heard about you've been taking out of context and building what you think is what the show will be.

I could go in depth but I don't want to spoil the entire first episode for you. I'd rather you see it for yourself and then judge it based on the actual episode instead of interviews and reviews and heavily edited short clips
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

@c_m: Yes, I'm super touchy because I want an actual discussion instead of a dismissive roll of the eyes. :dodgy:   C'mon man, we're on a message board, we talk, that's the point.  I assure you I'm not being overly emotional, just passionate about the subject; passionate debate does not indicate over-sensitivity; it's just having a strong feeling, just like you're passionate about the subject.  And nice long text messages (or short ones) are what we've got here.  Message boards, go fig!

And it's hard not to get spoilers like:

Lucy's character kissing a ten year old possessed by her dead lover, which was enough to give her pause by her own admission

...and not judge them, no matter the context.  It doesn't feel like it fits; the only thing that DO feel like they fit to me are the action set pieces.  The trouble with that is that there's stuff in between and the stuff in between is the problem for me.  Just like

Pablo can be the character I'm most looking forward to learning more about, and yet I don't like the "immigrant POC blindly worships a white guy" subtext inherent in his relationship with Ash, or the occasional reliance on cliched speech like having him call Ash "Jefe". I'm a second-generation American, this is the first time I've seen my race represented in the canon and I find it occasionally disappointing.  But I like him a hell of a lot because he seems like a sweet character. 

Life is complex, and so are people and opinions.  And you're supporting the show on who you THINK Ash is too. As you said, my interpretation is as valid as yours, it's really that simple - different opinions, same board. I'm not just going to be mindlessly happy to get whatever they give us.  It's not my way.
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

The reviews seems very positive so far. I read most of the spoilers and I agree some parts of the story is a bit weird on paper.  But I'm more on the side of c_m on this one.  We need to wait and see.  I had high expectation in 1992 for Army of Darkness and it disappointed me because I wanted an Horror movie not a comedy/fantasy movie.  



Ash suppose to bring back the deadites in a stupid way, but the reviews didn't complaint about this as lazy writing.  So I guess Sam & Co did a good job on this one 



About Ruby kissing a boy.  Once again everything will be about how the scene will be rendered.  The point is, she will be tricked by the deadites that's all. Yes it odd but take the POV of an evil demon.  They just want to make you suffer, they don't care who you are.  This is much controversy for nothing.  It was already done in Interview with a Vampire and it was weirder than a trick when you think about it. 

Like it or not this will be the REAL deal, not some comic books side stories. We can speculate for fun with the pieces of the puzzle we got. But It's just too easy to over analyze a story on a paper without seeing the finish product.  Only 15 days to wait! :)
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

There's a flashback in the first episode that explains how Ash brings back the deadites:

He basically gets high with a woman in his trailer and they both read from the Necronomicon. They don't explain yet why Ash has the book of the dead in his trailer. I wonder if they will.

I have a feeling the entire cast & crew smoked a lot of weed during the shoots. When I was heading to the Paleyfest panel I saw their motorcade approach the venue and literally smelled weed in the air. No joke.  :P
 
RE: Evil Dead Television Series [Spoilers Thread]

Kain said:
There's a flashback in the first episode that explains how Ash brings back the deadites:

He basically gets high with a woman in his trailer and they both read from the Necronomicon. They don't explain yet why Ash has the book of the dead in his trailer. I wonder if they will.

I have a feeling the entire cast & crew smoked a lot of weed during the shoots. When I was heading to the Paleyfest panel I saw their motorcade approach the venue and literally smelled weed in the air. No joke.  :P

I love how Bruce isn't even bothering to hide he's a pothead anymore.  We always knew he was one, the Enquirer busted him years ago for being a medical mj smoker, but ever since it's been legalized in his area he's been nonstop about the pot.

You'd think they'd try to make it look like a positive thing, instead of a world-destroying thing  :P
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom