Ash vs Evil Dead Season 2 General Discussion Thread [MARK YOUR SPOILERS!]

The improvements on season 2 and the showrunner change make me optimistic about season 3. Now all they have to do is hire some new blood for the writing department (and maybe get rid of a couple of the current writers) and season 3 actually has a chance of being good.
 
I feel a little sorry for Craig, but it's pretty obvious from watching the season 1 extras he had no investment in the franchise and had little idea what to do with a series like this.  

The new showrunner's bringing on a lot of people who are known as horror comic book writers.  But I  think the main problem is honestly Bruce's control over the Ash character and his inability to see Ash as a worthy or decent person, which frankly is what the majority of the fans see Ash as.  This is why I love Ivan's solo writing for the character; he seems to get WHO Ash is, while Bruce's vague resentment for the character clouds any sense of sympathy he might have for him.

Sadly, I come bearing bad ratings news.  The show fell off to #89, doing a 0.13 and drawing 274k viewers.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
I feel a little sorry for Craig, but it's pretty obvious from watching the season 1 extras he had no investment in the franchise and had little idea what to do with a series like this.  

The new showrunner's bringing on a lot of people who are known as horror comic book writers.  But I  think the main problem is honestly Bruce's control over the Ash character and his inability to see Ash as a worthy or decent person, which frankly is what the majority of the fans see Ash as.  This is why I love Ivan's solo writing for the character; he seems to get WHO Ash is, while Bruce's vague resentment for the character clouds any sense of sympathy he might have for him.

Sadly, I come bearing bad ratings news.  The show fell off to #89, doing a 0.13 and drawing 274k viewers.


Well that was to be expected because of WD and the hype surrounding it because of what happen at the end of last season so seeing the viewers drop off bears no bad news for me because we should have expected this. But hey let's look on the bright side of it  a bit here, it didn't drop down to 100 and stayed close to 300 so in a way the show is still going strong even with WD coming back plus it's still doing very well on demand and on the dvr ratings so starz should be taking note of those ratings as well and not just the live ratings.

(As a side note, TWD is now apparently getting a lot of controversy right now for how brutal and violent there season premiere was.  ....It's funny to me that people  who where pissed off with S6 finale practically begged to know who got the bat and now they are b*tching because they apparently went too far with it, it just boggles my mind how flip floppy the viewers are for that show in general. *sigh*)
 
I just read bryan's comic book "Postal" last night and i have to say the guy is a very talented writer, he knows how to really build a world and its characters so i'm very excited to see what he can do with the evil dead property.

Honestly with this news it makes me wonder if they are not gearing up to shake things up a little for S3 with all these new writers coming in plus the showrunner, at this point in time though we'll just have to wait and see at this point but i'm very excited to see where there gonna take this story.
 
I don't think we can blame this on TWD, it was on a half hour after AvED aired, though I'm sure the show will spike in the plus sevens when we see them next week. And next week is only going to get tougher, they're up against a World Series game AND the NFL.

The DVR numbers are...all right. 400k could be worse but it's not the best it could be doing. Do you have any OnDemand numbers? My prodding of Comcast's website has given me nothing.

My best guess is that someone higher up or on the staff decided to shake things up on some level, which is interesting. The people who are watching the show (generally) love the show, so IDK what they'd even think to change at this point. At the very least they seem to want to do something different, and seem to realize that what they were doing before is drawing an uneven amount of interest from the GP. Next season seems to be do or die for them, as they have American Gods premiering sometime next year and Starz is likely looking to place both shows in similar demo ranges.

Sidenote: the plus three results for episode 3 just came out and they didn't make the top twenty.


ETA: for those of you who remember that infinite runner game that was licensed by the show and set to come out, here's the release details from Daily Dead.
 
I may be one of a few who likes everything Evil Dead and The Walking Dead, and I find it interesting that The Walking dead pulled an 8.4 with 17 million viewers which is 300,000 viewers short of its own record. Even with critics crying it was over the top with violence, and some threatening to stop watching because it was too much for them. It is clear Ash vs Evil Dead could never work on regular tv, but as long as Starz has no solid lead in... or anything to back it up the show it is likely to stay where it is in the ratings.

/Even The Talking Dead pulled in 7 million.

http://deadline.com/2016/10/walking-dead-ratings-season-7-premiere-nfl-1201842022/


Bruce just tweeted about the numbers too. 

[font=Arial, sans-serif]"The Walking Dead had a massive audience for its return.

Looks like my Dead brothers are very much Alive!"[/font]




https://twitter.com/GroovyBruce/status/791061692830494720
 
Damn, those are huge numbers.
http://ashvsevildead.tumblr.com/post/152304958452/were-hosting-a-twitch-and-facebook-livestream
This is also happening:

tumblr_ofmd2mZLTR1u3ev8zo1_1280.png
 
Here is the episode 5 preview featuring for your viewing pleasure. I will hold off on making any jokes about playing with ones 
Baal(s) who looks bad ass
here too, haha.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC2A4RsHf7o[/video]
 
Nick el Ass said:
Here is the episode 5 preview featuring for your viewing pleasure. I will hold off on making any jokes about playing with ones 
Baal(s) who looks bad ass
here too, haha.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC2A4RsHf7o[/video]

Looks good. The gang trapped in the police station with one of them beeing possessed. Sounds like a "THE THING" suitation. I like that.

On the other hand: Does every satanic demon overlord have to look like a aged heavy metal star?
 
Based on that preview, this show is finally going to give me something that I wanted from the beginning and that I think is a big part of Evil Dead: Confinement, paranoia, mind games and claustrophobia. That's a good sign. Hopefully this episode will continue to show the improvement in general atmosphere they've been showing lately. Also, Ash seems more involved, active and serious in that preview than he's been on any other episode of the show so far. Another good sign.

About Baal's look... I hear ya, Muzzlehatch. The little we've seen of the actor's performance seems good enough, but that goth/metal look is quite cliche, cheesy and very disappointing. He looks like a rejected demonic minion from a Nicolas Cage Ghost Rider movie. I'm hoping the character and the actor will make me forget about it.
 
Here's a really hilarious but interesting interview with bruce if anyone wants to check it out. 

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz1IOYUXx7M&feature=youtu.be[/video]
 
And here is the archive of the thing Ray and Dana did with the Nerdist.


ETA: apparently that episode is supposed to be based on The Thing, good eye everyone.

Also I'm sitting here trying to remember who Baal reminds me of. Definitely an aging heavy metal singer, definitely fond of wearing black suits. It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't conjure it.
 
Hurley said:
By the way, am I the only one who thinks that Joel Tobeck as Baal kinda looks like discount Michael Shannon?

I had no clue who Micheal Shannon was, and had to look him up.


MaidOfKandar said:
And here is the archive of the thing Ray and Dana did with the Nerdist.


ETA: apparently that episode is supposed to be based on The Thing, good eye everyone.

Also I'm sitting here trying to remember who Baal reminds me of.  Definitely an aging heavy metal singer, definitely fond of wearing black suits.   It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't conjure it.



As Deimos on Xena he looked a lot like Billy Idol.
 
MaidOfKandar said:
And here is the archive of the thing Ray and Dana did with the Nerdist.


ETA: apparently that episode is supposed to be based on The Thing, good eye everyone.

Also I'm sitting here trying to remember who Baal reminds me of.  Definitely an aging heavy metal singer, definitely fond of wearing black suits.   It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't conjure it.



You said something along the lines of ozzy osburne or something like that, oh btw 

HERE'S THE GALLERY FOR THAT EPISODE ! *BOOM*

http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery2/gallery5/gallery.htm

Kelly seems to be staying close to pablo judging by those two pictures, plus pablo looks very ill and sick as well judging by the bags under his eyes. *shipper goggles on* PLEASE LET THIS EPISODE HAVE SOME GOOD MOMENTS BETWEEN THESE TWO ! *Crosses fingers*  

Shipping two people in Evil dead, boy this will work out well for me  :rolleyes:
 
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTx-MqWbYX0[/video]
 
Here's some excellent news on season 1 sales!

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/anchor-bay/ash-vs-evil-dead-complete-first-season-best-selling-anchor-bay-disc-2010-39040
 
Joem1k said:
MaidOfKandar said:
And here is the archive of the thing Ray and Dana did with the Nerdist.


ETA: apparently that episode is supposed to be based on The Thing, good eye everyone.

Also I'm sitting here trying to remember who Baal reminds me of.  Definitely an aging heavy metal singer, definitely fond of wearing black suits.   It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't conjure it.



You said something along the lines of ozzy osburne or something like that, oh btw 

HERE'S THE GALLERY FOR THAT EPISODE ! *BOOM*

http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/evildead/gallery2/gallery5/gallery.htm

Kelly seems to be staying close to pablo judging by those two pictures, plus pablo looks very ill and sick as well judging by the bags under his eyes. *shipper goggles on* PLEASE LET THIS EPISODE HAVE SOME GOOD MOMENTS BETWEEN THESE TWO ! *Crosses fingers*  

Shipping two people in Evil dead, boy this will work out well for me  :rolleyes:



I did indeed!  But he also reminds me of another person whose name's stuck right on the tip of my tongue who I can't quite bring to mind.

I'm rooting for you on the Pablo/Kelly front, TBH.  

Also the sheriff is so, so dead judging by that last photo in the set.


Elise41 said:
Here's some excellent news on season 1 sales!

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/anchor-bay/ash-vs-evil-dead-complete-first-season-best-selling-anchor-bay-disc-2010-39040

Good news indeed!  I'm surprised they didn't release the figures, since they had to have reached 3/4 of a million sold.  

Also this says that the Starz ap is now in a million households, though Power seems to be leading the watching charge on that front. 

Also that feature on the Delta is pretty perfect.
 
Top Bottom